has anyone ever tried cauliflower mashed potatoes?

Options
I want to try them because I really like real mashed potatoes. But I'm not the biggest fan of cauliflower. I like cauliflower with a broccoli and carrot medley, but not so much on its on. Is it something you recommend? Do you use fresh or frozen cauliflower?
Thanks in advance for the tips.

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I tried it once and was pleasently surprised! I used fresh cauliflower. I was doing a 3 week detox (no dairy, wheat etc.) I think they would be really good with some cheddar cheese and chives on top. It was different...but not bad at all. Give it a try! You'll only be out one head of cauliflower :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I've tried them. They're very good, but definitely no comparison to real mashed potatoes. The good thing is you can't really tell that it is cauliflower anymore after it's been mashed up so much. (But then again I like cauliflower, so I could be biased) I've only had them made for me, so I don't have a recipe for you, but if you make them and have luck, let me know what you did because I'd like to try to make them too sometime.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    It's really good, even if you don't like cauliflower. You can use fresh or frozen, although fresh is going to give you a creamier consistency. Just steam it past al dente, toss it in the food processor with some salt and pepper (I also like using neufchatel cheese - the American variety - or you can use fat free cream cheese - because it's not much of a calorie load and it makes them really rich). I wouldn't add milk or butter because it won't need any additional moisture, and it'll get runny.
  • adcoursey
    Options
    cauliflower mash is pretty awesome, actually! i make if for my son all the time; i think he prefers it to mashed potatoes.

frozen cauliflower has a less pungent taste, so a little fat free butter, skim milk, salt n pepper, and it's super smooth.
    fresh has more texture, a little creamier, and delicious.

GO FOR IT!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I tried these once.. I didn't care much for the texture, it was kind of grainy? Also, maybe it was operator error when I was making them and I need a better recipe. :laugh:
  • pbap
    pbap Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, it's very tasty, but make no mistake - it's not mashed potatoes. : )
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. I will try it this week and I like the idea of ff cream cheese too! I do like the creaminess of real mashed potatoes. I also think adding chives would give it an extra taste the reminds me of mashed potatoes.
    I'm just getting tired of eating the same boring things and looking for a little more variety in my meals.
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    wow, more posts while I was posting. I want them to be creamy, so i will try fresh at least for now. does a whole head make a lot? I don't really want to make more than a serving or two after first so I can see if I like it. Plus, I have a feeling that I am the only one in the house who would be eating it. I don't think I could fool the fam. As you said, its not potatoes. And potato loves will definitely notice the difference and I don't know how well it will be received.
  • txtree50
    txtree50 Posts: 51
    Options
    I have not tried it but it sounds yummy!!!!!
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I want to try!! Anyone have a really good recipe?? :]
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    theri are good, use fresh
  • ababygrace
    ababygrace Posts: 123
    Options
    I think I will try this just to add more veggies to my diet.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have. They are their own thing. I would not say it's a replacement for mashed potatoes.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Yep - I do mine steamed until soft, thrown into a food processor with fat free herb and garlic cream cheese. Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm. We call them faux-tatoes in our house.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    we have mashed cauli about 3 times a week. Little bit of low fat sour cream, little bit of garlic powder, little bit of Parmesan cheese, and a few bacon bits, and it's delicious.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Steam some cauliflower, then once cooked, remove from heat, drain, and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the cauliflower in a food processor with the following:

2 T cream cheese
    2 T parmesan cheese
    2 cloves of garlic, mashed or minced
    A hint of milk or cream (for ease of blending)
    Dash of black pepper
    Dash of salt

Blend until smooth, place in oven safe (small) casserole dish, then place in the oven at 400. Cook until lightly brown and bubbly on top.
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    we have mashed cauli about 3 times a week. Little bit of low fat sour cream, little bit of garlic powder, little bit of Parmesan cheese, and a few bacon bits, and it's delicious.

SHBoss1673, I love this idea, it sounds like a baked potato. maybe all the added flavors will help me forget its not a real potato
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Glad you posted this! I have been wanting to try this for a while.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

SHBoss1673, I love this idea, it sounds like a baked potato. maybe all the added flavors will help me forget its not a real potato

you'll barely notice the difference. Trust me, I'm a mashed guy through and through, but these are as close as one can get without being the real thing. One note though, the best way I've found to really make them creamy, is to use a electric hand mixer, does a much better job than a regular mixer or a blender.
  • razorbecky
    razorbecky Posts: 134
    Options
    bump