Gastric bypass help!

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery in 2004 and the best gift I could have given myself. Just keep in mind the surgery does not fix the head. You need to absolutely do the mental work to be successful at keeping the weight off. Make no mistake this is not an easy fix. The honeymoon will be over before you know it. I wish my surgeon would have made me lose weight prior to surgery. It is a requirement now for all new patients. The best to you!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?
    I'm working with a guy now who started his journey at 700+LBS and is now down to the mid 500LBS.
    He just works out every other day and eats right.

GBP does cause you to lose weight but only has a 5% success rate long term.
    And its a huge change to your system.

If you do get the surgery, studies show better nutrient uptake from the system but youll have to dial down your intake big time, as well as drinking a lot of your calories.

What you are saying is simply not true. If you want to convince anyone that GBP has a 5% long term success rate then cite your source.. I also challenge you to find ANY study that proves that diet and exercise alone has as good or HIGHER success rate than those patients who had GBP... Truth is.. GBP is a tool that will HELP patients stick with a calorie deficit for long enough to lose a significant amount of weight.. They may not lose ALL their weight and keep it all off... but over the long term, GBP are exponentially more successful than morbidly obese people who went the diet and exercise alone route. Those who have the BEST results are those who use their bariatric procedure as a tool in order to help them stick with the calorie deficit AND add a moderate amount of exercise. I'm not saying that people shouldn't TRY to do it without surgery.. there indeed are some who can do it this way... but before you go spewing statistics you need to have your facts straight.

can you cite YOUR sources? there are a lot of numbers and statistics flying around the board, pro and con the surgery.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Whether an individual goes the surgical route or simply busting their a** in a gym this is the truth of it all...

YOU MUST FIX YOUR HEAD BEFORE YOU CAN FIX YOUR BODY

The majority of people become obese from poor habits or emotional issues. Yes there are the physiological reasons, but thyroid issues do not account for the explosive increase in obesity in the US. There's a reason people get fat. I'm a firm believer that if you can find the emotional/mental issue then losing the weight is much, much easier.

Does GBP work? Of course... but it's not the end-all-be-all solution.

Is it the best solution? No. People need to consider the other issues that will occur with such a rapid weight loss (i.e. sagging skin)

Is it the only option for the super-obese? Most likely.

Are you still going to be told to get off your a** and exercise? Umm, Yes.

Bottom line, to each his/her own. Personally, I started at 320# with a 14% A1c and a BG of 584 - hospitalized with a 10x15cm leg abscess requiring surgery. That was my breaking point. I set my mind to the task and started my journey, promising myself I'd never be as bad as I was ever again. GBP was not an option in my mind.

I'm down to 265# in 10 months with a 6% A1c and a fasted BG of 95! I CrossFit 5 days/week @ 5am. I've never been healthier and I'm never looking back. But again, I had to fix my head for my body to follow.

To the OP... you're gonna want to reschedule. 7kg in a week is gonna be tough.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?
    I'm working with a guy now who started his journey at 700+LBS and is now down to the mid 500LBS.

If you do get the surgery, studies show better nutrient uptake from the system but youll have to dial down your intake big time, as well as drinking a lot of your calories.

What you are saying is simply not true. If you want to convince anyone that GBP has a 5% long term success rate then cite your source.. I also challenge you to find ANY study that proves that diet and exercise alone has as good or HIGHER success rate than those patients who had GBP... Truth is.. GBP is a tool that will HELP patients stick with a calorie deficit for long enough to lose a significant amount of weight.. They may not lose ALL their weight and keep it all off... but over the long term, GBP are exponentially more successful than morbidly obese people who went the diet and exercise alone route. Those who have the BEST results are those who use their bariatric procedure as a tool in order to help them stick with the calorie deficit AND add a moderate amount of exercise. I'm not saying that people shouldn't TRY to do it without surgery.. there indeed are some who can do it this way... but before you go spewing statistics you need to have your facts straight.

can you cite YOUR sources? there are a lot of numbers and statistics flying around the board, pro and con the surgery.

Also patiently waiting for her to cite her sources
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There is no way someone could lose 15lbs in a healthy manner. For those of you looking for sources, I don't think it matters. Weight loss isn't guaranteed by the gym or surgery and it requires hard work and effort no matter what you do. Obviously she feels that the surgery is her best option at this point, but what I find concerning (even though it doesn't really matter what I think) is the waiting for the last minute to lose quite a few lbs, overdoing it at a bday party and losing weight to have a weight loss surgery. I know you probably went to the class, but the surgery is a pretty big deal
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Aside from cutting water weight, I can`t really see it...
  • dentedcan
    dentedcan Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm biased in that despite my weight, I won't consider surgery to 'fix' something I believe has psychological roots. I've put the doctor time into working with a therapist once a week, which combined with healthy eating and daily exercise is leading to great changes. But I accept we all have different mindsets.

That aside, the only way I could see losing that much weight in a week would be by manipulating water, and that seems like a dangerous option considering the type of surgery you're about to go under anesthesia for. What would be the harm in rescheduling?
  • feverscratch
    feverscratch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2 weeks before my vertical sleeve surgery I was put on a liquid diet. I used EAS advantedge pre made low carb shakes. If you can manage to live on 6 of these a day and do as much exercise as you can handle, you have a chance at losing the weight. Just walking a half mile or so three times a day should do it. I waited until I was 58 years old to do this. I wish it had been available years earlier. I was never a fan of the roux-en y procedure. It seemed to severe. For me, the surgery has helped tremendously. I had no bad after effects. I still use my fitness pal every day . You must keep an honest tracking of your caloric input. The surgery is not magic. I still get hungry often. By using this tool, combined with the tool the surgery provides, you will have a lot better chance for a healthy life.
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you can't stick to the diet to lose beforehand, what makes you think you can do the diet after the surgery? I think the doctors have it right to have this requirement. That's a lot of weight to lose in 10 days. Frankly, it can't have snuck up on you, and I don't think you are showing that you've got what it takes to stick to the plan afterwards. What else have you tried before this? I've lost 120 pounds since October 1, 2012 just by counting calories and then adding exercise after three months. (Couldn't do any the first three months because I was hella fat (347 lbs at 5'2") and had a knee injury.

^^This.

Sorry, but if the pre-op requirements with weight and date "snuck up" on you, you will likely have a hard time adhering to the drastic changes you need to make after your surgery. I've seen people have GPB and end up just as heavy as they were before the surgery; simply because they didn't make good lifestyle choices to maintain everything the surgery is supposed to help you do.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?

Sure.. This source http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421028/ can refute the ridiculous 5% success rate for bypass

Here is a statistic shown by the University of California San Francisco which reports a 5% success rates for Diet/lifestyle change among morbidly obese http://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/obesity/treatment.html

It's important to note that success for MORBIDLY OBESE are different than just for those who are "overweight" Overweight have around a 20% success rate at losing weight and keeping it off.. I don't have time now to go and find the source but I may come back later and do it.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think the pre-operative diet is a weeding out procedure. Sounds like it might weed you out.

I'd exercise a lot, drink your water, get off of bread. I'd up my fiber and journal every bite. If you can't lose during this period, you're not a candidate for the surgery anyway,
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too was thinking about the surgery to lose although I have lost 100lbs previously I put 73lbs of that back on. I went to see my doc and for me to have the surgery I had to quit smoking and remain smoke free for 1 year. I have been virtually ( have had a couple in weak moments) smoke free for 2 months. I also put on a few pounds from quitting and my clothes didn't fit anymore. So i thought.. gotta take this weight of to fit in my summer clothes and to get healthier. First week on MFP I lost 6lbs. I just completed my 2nd week and lost 0.5 lbs. I consider both of these successes as 1st week was probably water weight. Last week I had July 1st, a wedding, a fishing derby with not so healthy BBQ and a funeral.

This is what I have learned:

No one can make you better but yourself
    Surgery is a bandaid, not a permanent fix
    Don't feel sorry for yourself
    Get off your *kitten* and move, even if it is chair exercises to start with
    Count calories, log food, honestly, if you eat the whole bag of chips, write it down, ( I know it sucks)
    Leave your diary open, keeps you accountable
    Set realistic goals, 7kgs in a week is not happening
    Look at why you eat
    Build a support group, even if it is online
    And don't say " I can't do this"

But this is just my opinion. you can do with it what you please :)
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input and best wishes.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?

Call my friend Dr Matt Andry and ask him personally.
    He does the surgeries only as a last resort and will explain why its not a smart idea.

The whole reason why is the body wants what the body wants.
    If you train it for gluttony, it want to be a glutton.
    If you reverse engineer your brain to eat healthy, it wants to be healthy.

Get your head straight before cutting out your stomach because if it isnt, your body will find a way to get those calories in so it can continue being a glutton.

http://andrymedicalservices.com
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    A podcast with Dr Andry talking about how GBP surgeries fail because of the psychological issues with the patients and their relationship with food.

http://www.superhumanradio.com/shr-1030-rtdosaha-22-strength-training-for-couples-plus-the-psychology-of-weight-loss.html
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    This surgery is not a quick fix on weight loss. You must be willing to mske changes that may last a lifetime. If you not ready to make these changes the rethink what your going to do. 55% of all gastric bypass pstients fall back into their old habits and regain most of their weight. But if you still want to proceed by all means do so. But be aware that you must make changes that your body demands. Rethink it as if your doing it the old fashion way bu cutting calories and looking foetter choices..Is up to you as to the road way go go.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?

He does the surgeries only as a last resort and will explain why its not a smart idea.

Get your head straight before cutting out your stomach because if it isnt, your body will find a way to get those calories in so it can continue being a glutton.

So your friend Dr. Matt, a family practitioner is the source of your 5% statistic? Funny thing, he does not list this shocking 95% surgical failure rate statistic anywhere on his website. I definitely agree with you on one thing.. You DO need to get your head straight or bariatric surgeries will NOT be successful. You can find ways to "eat around" the surgery if your head isn't ready for surgery. And who knows, for some people, once they get their heads straight, they may find they fall into that 5% who are able to be successful without any surgical intervention. AWESOME! If you can do it without the risk of surgery then you definitely should!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?

So your friend Dr. Matt, a family practitioner is the source of your 5% statistic? Funny thing, he does not list this shocking 95% surgical failure rate statistic anywhere on his website. I definitely agree with you on one thing.. You DO need to get your head straight or bariatric surgeries will NOT be successful. You can find ways to "eat around" the surgery if your head isn't ready for surgery. And who knows, for some people, once they get their heads straight, they may find they fall into that 5% who are able to be successful without any surgical intervention. AWESOME! If you can do it without the risk of surgery then you definitely should!

You cannot possibly mean that only 5% of people can lose weight without surgical intervention....!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    There is no way someone could lose 15lbs in a healthy manner. For those of you looking for sources, I don't think it matters. Weight loss isn't guaranteed by the gym or surgery and it requires hard work and effort no matter what you do. Obviously she feels that the surgery is her best option at this point, but what I find concerning (even though it doesn't really matter what I think) is the waiting for the last minute to lose quite a few lbs, overdoing it at a bday party and losing weight to have a weight loss surgery. I know you probably went to the class, but the surgery is a pretty big deal

"There is no way someone could lose 15lbs in a healthy manner".....I'm assuming this is a typo.
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    do a water fast... only water, nothing else! the hunger disappears after 2-3 days