How often do you run??

Options
I was just curious how often or how many days a week others run? Also, does no one run more than once a day, like in the morning and evening? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

08312013 Posts: 24
    Options
    I think you will ind the gamut of replies here because every level of runner is represented. If you're new to running, you should allow at least a day in between each run for recovery. So where are you on your running road?
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am curious about this, too. But I read somewhere on the forum that said every other day is the best. Apparently doing it everyday is not optimum.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think you will ind the gamut of replies here because every level of runner is represented. If you're new to running, you should allow at least a day in between each run for recovery. So where are you on your running road?
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sorry, hit post too quick!! I started back up a couple months ago and there have been times if I have a 2 day break I feel almost 'uncomfortable' like I NEED to get back out if that makes any sense, lol!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Depending on what phase of training I am in, I will run between 6 and 10 times per week. So, that's 6 to 7 days, sometimes a will will have up to 3 doubles. I've been running for about 10 years and training seriously for about 5. It took a LONG time to get here.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I find running incredibly addicting, so I can definitely see where taking rest days can be difficult for some!

I usually run anywhere from 3-5 times per week, and I usually shoot for about 30 minutes per run, with at least one longer run per week. I think it's important to listen to your body and not overdo it. The last thing I need is for an injury to impede my progress, so I am all for taking rest days when needed.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a rest day today but I just finished 38 days straight with some 2 a days (300 mi).

Find your own level right now where you keep progressing and know that your personal optimal running frequency increases with time.

It also depends heavily on hard you push the pace and how far the distance. If you run everyday and follow a hard day with one or two easy days you can generally get by. If you try to run hard and/or long everyday then your body will crash.

My educated guess is that if you have been running for a couple of months your optimal level right now is probably to run around 4 times a week. Unless you are sick there is probably no need to take two days off in a row,
  • leambi
    leambi Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I am new to running (starting again as not really run since leaving school), I am using the C25K programme which is supposed to be 3 times a week but at the minute I only run twice a week due to working but will be shifting up to 3 times a week from next week.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been running about 3 1/2 years. I run 3 days a week following that plans in Run Less Run Faster (FIRST system). I've been really happy with it - I PR'd my half using it. Ran my marathon successfully, and am now training to PR my next half. I also am able to maintain consistent 1/2 marathon times. It is 3 days of running and 2 days of biking. I don't generally run 2x per day, because most of my training is summer, so I run super early in AM. If I do a second PM run, it's because I split my long run and do the second run on a treadmill. I do however try to workout a second time at least 3x per week on my lunch hour, my cross training...weights, yoga, stretching, squats/lunges (Brazil Butt Lift program). To keep myself in shape for running.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I average 3 or 4 times a week. Because im relatively new, I find that if if I go four or five days in a row, I start to suffer a little, and a day or two off helps
  • KylieJordan16
    KylieJordan16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week with 2 rest days.
    Usually run 3 to 4 miles on those days.
    :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a little over 5 years and I run 4 or 5 days per week, when I was first starting out is was 3 or 4 (usually every 2nd day, 3 days one week, 4 the next). Now I'll usually run Tue, Wed, Thu (alternating short-medium-short distances), an easy run Saturday and my long slow run on Sundays. Other weeks it will be 2 medium distance runs on Tues & Thur as well as my weekend runs.

My personal belief is that a conservative but progressive approach is more likely to keep you running injury free and enjoying the process. Take recovery days, cross train, do strength training & have fun!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    5 to 6 depending on the season. At least two of those will be easy runs, which are a form of active recovery for me. Been running to race since 2006, been an athlete all my life. I tend to not do doubles, but part of that is realizing in my 50s that they wouldn't allow the recovery I personally need.

I can train as hard as ever for a given session. What has happened as I get older is the recovery from that session takes longer.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I usually run 5 days a week 5-6 sessions.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bumping.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I was just curious how often or how many days a week others run? Also, does no one run more than once a day, like in the morning and evening? Thanks in advance!!

I used to run five times per week, but at the moment I run every other day. I have never trained twice in one day.
  • ldabao
    ldabao Posts: 8
    Options
    I used to run everyday. Now that I have incorporated strength training into my life, I try to get some form of cardio every other day, taking Sundays off (or Saturday, if I know I'll be doing some kind of fun run on Sunday) My strength trainer is concerned about the effects "pounding the pavement" has on my bones/back, so we have decided to incorporate intervals. You get the same, if not better, caloric burn by doing interval training - alternating very fast pace (8.0 on treadmill) with slower pace (6.0) for three miles, than if you ran 5 miles at 6.0. Obviously if you are distance training, doing intervals alone won't improve your stamina, however if you are looking to burn calories by your runs, doing intervals can be less damaging to your bones than running long distances. Of course there are days I crave my long - Lisa time - runs. Nothing better to clear the mind and create balance in my life!!!!
  • ashmarie0806
    Options
    I have been running for 4 years now and last year I was running everyday about 4-5 miles a day and some long runs on the weekends. I started noticing pain in my knees and feet and toward the end of the year, I was barely able to run more than 2 times a week. This year, I have decided to diversify more workout regime and I am running 3 days a week and I have noticed a huge difference in how I feel. I have not had any pain in my legs and have improved significantly in my 5k races.

I am a firm believer in giving yourself some rest in between runs! :)
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I definitely just dove right into it-did a 5k every morning. However I would take rests when I needed it, especially since my route has a lot of hills and nearly half of it is cross country vs running on a sidewalk/road. I still do the same thing; I run a 5k every morning 6-7 days a week, depending on if I feel my legs need a rest or on how my work schedule is. I find that it is a decent way for me to wake up in the morning and get some fitness in before my brain has a chance to realize what's going on haha
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Been running for about a year and a half, and I'm out there three days a week. The other three days I do strength training, and always at least one day of rest.