Getting nowhere

Options

Replies

• supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi , first you should open up diary so we can see what you are eating. Yes you should give up sugar , it is evil. I keep to 2 servings of fruit a day that's it. If you want you can add me as friend and I will look at your diary and give you some ideas:flowerforyou:
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    P.S. I am 49 years old......
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    Go to the bodymedia.com site directly and email or call them with your arm measurements and they will let you know what you need. The BMF armbands are fantastic and give you a very clear idea of what you are burning everyday, so you know what you can have to do to create the deficit you need. They are also very motivational in that you can try and beat past "personal bests" I have consistently lost an average of 2lbs a week since buying mine in Feb. I find it every bit as valuable as this website!

^^^^^^ THIS :)
  • GGS54
    GGS54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's almost impossible to completely eliminate sugar since it seems to be in everything, but eliminating processed sugar in candy an dother sweets, and keeping sugar intake to a minimum is both helpful to losing weight and your overall health. Try unsweetened almond milk instead of skim milk on cereal, for example. And I agree with the others you need to incorporate exercise of some type into your daily regime. I have plantar fascitis and chronic foot pain, so I got some orthotic shoes and insoles so I could walk, which help tremendously. I also do the stationary bike when my feet are really hurting. I gained a lot of weight after menopause and other diets didn't seem to work. However, sticking to 1200 - 1500 "healthy food" calories a day on MFP, and doing some form of exercise 4 -5 days a week, has enablet me to lose 16 pounds since February. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been on MFP for several months now, just haven't participated in the forums. I am getting nowhere.

I'm pretty good about logging my intake. I've been doing that for years so I'm used to it. The hardest thing to overcome was when I overate and didn't want to write it all down. But now I do. That way I have to own it when I've eaten 3500 calories in one day, which is my worst.

MFP says I should be eating 2200 calories a day, but I have changed the goal to 2000. My sister, who is about my same size but down 40 pounds from where I am, is eating 1200 a day. I can't imagine that! 1800 is a trial for me, but I can do it.

I eat very little bread, and not every day. I like soups and salads. My husband keeps a stash of naughty treats, but he keeps them locked up and I don't know the combo. But every time I ask for something he gives it to me.

My knees and feet are killing me and it's wicked hot. So walking is just not doable now. I would swim, but it's a 40 minute round trip to the pool. Plus I have arthritis in my hands and cannot do things like pushups right now. Or lift weights. I do enjoy weight training.

I have gained 60 pounds in the past 7 years. And I was already morbidly obese before that. I'm over 50 and feeling old and discouraged.

HELP!

It'd be helpful if you opened your diary for better help.

Do you know why MFP set you to 2000/2200? I ask because I too am over 50 and not very active. The calculations I used put me about 1700 to maintain and I set my daily calories to 1300 (I eat back most exercise calories, admitedly sometimes less than 100 ;) ). I've been steadily losing 1/2 to 1 lb a week without much exercise (I began this journey in February). My plan is to add more exercise and more daily calorie intake at this point (about 1/2 way to my goal).

You're welcome to look at my open diary to see IMO I eat aplenty! And I'm always satisfied.

Just to be clear I am NOT encouraging you to lower your calories :), just offering my experience.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I will relate my experience. I have been overweight (to say the least) for years. It is not that I do not like to or cannot work out. It is that I like food and candy. But last month I decided to change that. Instead of the fads or whatever I am resorting to something tried and true - more calories out (burned) than I take in (eat). The logic is inescapable. I decided on a few ground rules.
    1. Be HONEST - read labels, and enter the calories you eat - if anything add more calories if you are not exactly sure
    2. Be HONEST about your daily activity level - start out assuming a lower activity level and adjust up rather than down. I started out sedentary - but I have lost 3-4 lbs a week so I upped it to Light activity.
    3. I keep track of the calories I am under - for when I may go out or over due it - having said that - at the end of the week (for me it is Wednesday) If I am under the calories for the week I take away 30% and carry that number forward - right now I have 1800 calories I can eat should I go out to eat or want a treat. (I have subtracted over 1200 calories) since I started.
    4. I do not track exercise - exercise adds to the calories you are allowed - I have done things over the past month such as mow the lawn (1.5 Hours) walk to work (3 miles one way), light swimming, gardening, etc and I add NO CALORIES. That way I do not over estimate the number of calories burned. Not saying do not exercise - just saying do not add calories for the exercise you do.

Not saying too do it my way, just saying that so far so far this works for me. Just food for thought (excuse the pun)
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You are way ahead of many people because you are making an effort and have not given up. Exercise is about physical fitness. Cutting calories is about losing weight. If 2000 calories is not getting you the weight loss you desire then you may need to drop to 1750 or even 1500. It is your choice of what works best for you. When I started I cut back on my sugar and carb calories because it helped me to control the amount of food that I was eating so maybe it could help you also. Exercise is very good for you in many ways and helps to burn more calories. As you are losing weight you will be able to exercise more. You can do this!!!!! Do not quit trying.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you haven't given up sugar that will explain an awful lot.
    the trick to losing fat really is in carbohydrate reduction

read the summary at the link below and get started on the science. good luck

http://www.dragaonordestino.net/Drachenwut_Blog_DragaoNordestino/Ernaehrung/Ernaehrung_arquivos/Notes-to-Good-Calories-Bad-Calories.pdf
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you haven't given up sugar that will explain an awful lot.
    the trick to losing fat really is in carbohydrate reduction.
    caloric reduction is only incidental to this.

read the summary at the link below and get started on the science. good luck

http://www.dragaonordestino.net/Drachenwut_Blog_DragaoNordestino/Ernaehrung/Ernaehrung_arquivos/Notes-to-Good-Calories-Bad-Calories.pdf
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    HUN--this is one of those DO OR DIE things in a persons life. I was in your same boat, couldn't make it 3 laps around a quarter mile track--BUT I did it twice a week, 3 times a week 4 times a week and NOW I walk 5 miles every day, I take zumba classes and even went and bought the cd's so I could do them at home too. MY diet??? well that was hard, took all sodas away, then all white stuff, bread potatoes rice and sugar. Then I started raising my proteins level and then added vegie carbs. It has not been easy and when I have one of THOSE days--I get over it and go on to the next day and am right back where I started and happy. Like I said--I had to get serious and when my Dr scared me--I got really serious, lost a lot of weight so far BUT I still have 100 to go, so I am making this as fun as I can.

BUT--you HAVE to commit

GOOD LUCK
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 60 lbs. It was and still is hard. I have many ups and downs. I started very slow. I use to eat everything and anything. So I cut out sofas and fries. I also cut out eating junk between meals. I ate what I wanted but only 3 meals and 2 snacks. Then I decided to give up fast food. I occassionally will eat say a breakfast jack. Maybe once a month. I went to my doctor and he told me to start walking. Start at 5 minutes per day and work up to 15 minutes per day. I know ride an exercise bike for 60 mind. This allows me to eat more calories. Don't worry start slow and work your way up. Try to control when and what you eat. Good luck
  • 13monarch
    13monarch Posts: 2
    Options
    i've been working on changing my eating and overall lifestyle habits for 2.5 months now and all i've lost is around 10 lbs. sure there are days where i don't want to eat right at all and days that i don't want to work out but just looking at the bigger picture and mentally picturing where i want to be definitely helps to motivate me. if i'm feeling out of breath during a workout, as silly as this sounds, i pause the workout, walk over to the mirror and give myself a pep talk (especially if you don't have any one else present to motivate you) and then you continue until you finish. it's all about pushing your limits and alot of it is mental. my friend has a quote "once you control your mind, you can conquer your body"

now i've never been a big sugary drink person or a beer drinker but i've seen friends who cut them out of their lives and drop significant amounts of weight. i very much agree with Binkie1955 "the trick to losing fat really is in carbohydrate reduction. caloric reduction is only incidental to this. " the main thing i cut out is carbs e.g. bread, pasta, rice unless they are whole wheat/whole grain bread and pasta or brown rice. useless bad carbs add unnecessary calories that don't help in weightloss and if you eat enough with proteins, veggies, some nuts, fruits, you won't feel hungry and won't crave the carbs as much.

hope this helps. best of luck. stay strong and stay focused! :)
  • empoweryoufitness
    Options
    I mentioned it in my post. Bodymedia.com but if you look on ebay they are cheaper.
  • Holdensmommy810
    Options
    I agree with others it sounds harsh but excuses and procrastination is what got all of us in this mess. Maybe wake up earlier before it gets too hot and go for a walk. Try asking some friends maybe once a week to meet up and go for a walk. While your talking and enjoying them you wont focus on the aches and pains. Also keep in mind this is a lifestyle change . Learning to be more active! Simply tackle tasks you might have been putting off for me its mass cleaning my house baseboards in all. It might not sound much of a work out but getting up and down and all i am dripping sweat by time im done. You can do it! Think of the eatting part like this. One meal or one treat occasionally wont kill you. You didnt get this way by eatting one meal. Same in reverse your not going to lose the weight by eatting a few healthy things..... Hope this helped!!
  • evviamarshall
    evviamarshall Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my biggest problem too, it doesn't hurt to cut it down.
  • annelisehagar
    annelisehagar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate that feeling. I was talking to my friend about that and he said that it will always feel that way.

However, my personal plan of attack is taking my eating a day at a time. Don't beat yourself up for a bad day, just remind yourself to start fresh the next! I've gotten into doing a protein shake for a meal (Muscle Milk, 1 scoop in 8oz. of water = 155 calories) which helps me cut back calories for the whole day.

Exercise is also key. I hate the gym and pretty much every form of traditional workout so I started doing Zumba, Belly dancing and Yoga with my girlfriends. By making it a set weekly activity you help guarantee a follow through. Plus you get to catch up with your friends.

Good luck and keep up all the hard work! Believe in yourself.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I already weigh everything or use measuring cups and spoons. I already don't eat out. Thanks for suggesting them, though.
    If you're following a good plan, one that basically has you eating 50% produce, and 25% each of protein and starch; and no caffeine or snack food at night, it may be time to try a supplement.

I just read a review about such a supplement called Plexus. It was initially designed specifically for Type 2 diabetics. Anyhow, the reviewer, a running coach, really seems positive about it...see the link below.

http://runtofinish.com/myplexusreview
    Please don't spam the forums pushing fat loss supplements. Out of the few posts you have made, most have been a sell for this product. Most forum users will not appreciate that technique. And most forum users do not subscribe to any specific 'plans' where you 'cut' out certain macros or worry about when you eat. Losing weight is about maintaining a calorie deficit. For most people, carbs are not the devil, nor is eating late at night or caffeine. I am sure you mean well, but please use the forums responsibly.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I can hear the frustration in your words. Here is my advice...and i dont mean to sound mean but....stop making excuses. If you want to lose you have to move somehow. You will feel so much better if you get some form of exercise. Even if you just get out and walk around the block a few times a day. Even if its hot...you can always go home and take a cool shower. You will feel so accomplished if you just push yourself to do a little bit at a time. Or just take the trip to the pool. Or get a treadmill and walk inside. If you want to lose you have to move. Maybe your husband or children will join you for a short walk. I know its so hard but just take baby steps and put one foot in front of the other. You can do it!!!!

I completely agree w/this. I have Plantar fasciitis & flat feet & still run/walk as well as do zumba, kickboxing, spinning, rowing, etc. If my foot is bothering me a lot then I do spinning or rowing. There is always something you can do. I don't go a day w/out some form of exercise & this is coming from someone that used to hate exercise. I now love it & crave the ache from a good workout. Get some good shoes & good insoles it will do wonders for your feet.
  • Deejae2013
    Deejae2013 Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree, you have to get out of the house and do some exercise. Zumba, is really fun and it doesn't feel like exercise. One more thing, your hubby has to get rid of the treats...it's too much temptation, he should know better, he is naughty.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know more about you. 2200 -2000 cals a day? I'm 35, 250lbs and I exercise 4-5 times a week (usually burn at least 500 cal a workout), other than that, I'm pretty sedentary and work a desk job. Currently, MFP tells me I can eat 1850 to lose 1.5lbs a week. I've been losing consistently.

I wonder if you're eating too much?