Any successful weight-loss runners?

Options

Replies

• viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    Yes, I've lost 20lbs since I started running but I didn't do it through running on it's own. I do a bit of dance, cycling and toning exercises like pilates on a regular basis.and also watch what I eat. It's so easy to think that just because we run, we can ramp up the calories, not true. When I ran marathons I didn't lose any weight at all as I was maintaining energy levels all the time. I've lost the most weight by cutting down on potatoes, pasta and bread combined with running and the other exercises above. I've only ever worked out in a gym once and that was enough!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm a barefoot runner but I also lift. You can lose weight on running and diet alone but you can't recomp on that. You need to lift weights and watch your protein intake if you want to end up firm.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Running alongside 30 Day Shred, running doesn't really tone you, only your legs and bottom, so you do need to do some weights or other exercises that help tone your muscles. I lost 26lbs overall (I started on Fitday and only moved onto here towards the end) from 160lbs to 142, I'm 5'9". I've always gone running, but I started again following an ankle injury.

I began by running. I was a beginner. Never before ran. Now, I too run and do 30 day shred. I have lost 17 lbs. so far. you wouldnt need a gym membership for those. I do reccomend doing both if you want faster results. Of course I eat clean as well. NUTRITION is key to weightloss.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I did c25k and lost 30 pounds. It probably took me around 12 weeks to finish because of scheduling and laziness, and I did cut back a little on the food, but that's the main reason I lost it. There's just something about seeing how many calories you burn during a run that makes you look more carefully at what you're eating. A Snicker bar isn't worth a 30 minute run.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I've been running for many years, but my 25lb weight loss didn't occur until I started counting calories/macros. So, for me, it was all in the kitchen, and I've become a significantly better runner for it.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No photos, but I've lost about 50 pounds using running as my main fitness/weight loss tool. FWIW, I think one of the more under appreciated aspects of running is having a strong core.
  • chipmunk10
    chipmunk10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in Feb of this year and at the same time started running for my 1st time ever. C25K by Zen Labs got me started, in the beginning I struggled running longer than 1 min! Now I can run about 7 miles! I have lost 37lbs since Feb with changing my diet, running 3 days per week and using an elliptical 2 days a week. I have ran 3, 5K's this year and 1, 4mile run for the 4th of July. I am currently looking for a 10K for this fall. I will mostly likely add weights in after I have lost about another 20lbs as I will need to tone up. It is an amazing feeling when you have completed a race!
  • chipmunk10
    chipmunk10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in Feb of this year and at the same time started running for my 1st time ever. C25K by Zen Labs got me started, in the beginning I struggled running longer than 1 min! Now I can run about 7 miles! I have lost 37lbs since Feb with changing my diet, running 3 days per week and using an elliptical 2 days a week. I have ran 3, 5K's this year and 1, 4mile run for the 4th of July. I am currently looking for a 10K for this fall. I will mostly likely add weights in after I have lost about another 20lbs as I will need to tone up. It is an amazing feeling when you have completed a race!
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs over the last 18 months and about 45 of those are from running as my main exercise. I also track my calories here pretty religiously and do some core work. I'm currently training for a marathon and running about 4 days a week, cross training 2 days a week and doing strength training 4 days a week. I've added more strength training just recently to tone up more and to improve my running.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have I started out doing elipical at Gym then moved to the treadmill doing about 12 minute miles for 3 miles just kept bumping up the speed and distance Now I run outside only for about 1.5 years now and just did my first offical 1/2 marathon time was 1:49:00 exactly was shooting for 1:45 but still happy with the results. I am now starting to incorporate some type of resistance mostly just bodyweight stuff I can get alot of that done at work lucky me.

4841673_8607.jpg[\img]edit?picture=9222001
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Having never been a runner, I started running outside last year and lost 20 pounds with just running and not changing my eating, except I probably ate more because running made me hungry. In Jan I started using MFP, still running and am down another 33lbs for a total of 53. It has changed my legs and hips/butt the most. My BIL's often called me J-Lo bootie before and now, the first indication that it's time to go down another pants size (from 16-8's atm) is the seat of my pants baggy. Hence, I have started doing a "butt lifting" program, to hopefully start giving me some rear back. We'll see... ;)

I love running, because I pay for shoes and music and otherwise it's free. I get outside SO much more, sometimes it's not so great (two miles in 109 degree heat last night) but sometimes it's amazing... I've seen lightening shows, amazing sunsets, weirdo’s in my neighborhood, etc. No driving to a gym, all I have to do is step outside my front door and once I'm out I have to keep going to get back home.

I hope if you start up it's something that works and is as enjoyable for you.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yeah I run too and have lost over 30 lbs. Started with C25K. I usually run on an in indoor track. Treadmill is much, much easier. I find outdoor running easier in the sense that being outdoors makes it a more interesting run.

I also do Stronglifts. Running is my preferred cardio because everything else (elliptical, bicycle) is way too easy for me now.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm a barefoot runner but I also lift. You can lose weight on running and diet alone but you can't recomp on that. You need to lift weights and watch your protein intake if you want to end up firm.

Interested in what you said... How much is the recommended protein intake for healthy/best results?
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So excited for all you runners! Good job, seems like you all have had amazing results!
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I lost a majority of my weight from running and eating clean.
  • Miz_Sparklez
    Miz_Sparklez Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I lost 95lbs just walking and working up to running. Now I do lift some weights but running is my love!! I have before pic in my profile.
  • BryceK67
    BryceK67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes! I haven't stepped a single foot into a gym and have lost 30 lbs since Jan 1. I was hesitant to start running but did C25K and just kept going, its sort of become addicting at this point. Thankfully my wife pulled me into MFP so I was able to really keep an eye on my diet. Overall I have lost 40 lbs in 2 years just by running alone but unfortunetely I don't have any pics to share.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started C25k at ~270 pounds and I'm now hanging around 190. Running is pretty much the only exercise I do.

I believe that my weight loss is attributed primarily to a change in eating habits, but the running does help, and it's great for overall health.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    not "Just running" but running + calorie counting, yes.

I went from 174 # to 123#

I started lifting then because I was too scrawny and still didn't have the kind of tummy I wanted. Still working on it. But I'm hella stronger now, so there's that. Also, lifting improved my running and protects my joints.

Still.... running will help you lose weight for sure.... if you are overweight that is.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about nutrition, but my exercise is primarily running! Started off not being able to go a full mile without stopping and I have now done several half marathons. Working some weight training in to tone up some more, but really pleased with the changes I have seen in my body and my fitness level from running.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!