Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sounds "black"
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like taking the can of beans, rinsing them off, and cooking them with taco seasoning!
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love black beans in chili and on burritos with salsa/diced tomatoes and meat or eggs. I usually buy dry black beans and soak/rinse/cook half a bag at once and then freeze them in little baggies. I add them to pretty much any meal that has diced tomatoes in it because I love that flavor combination.

I know some people like to add black beans to salads but I can't take the strong black bean taste by itself.
  • sar00sh
    sar00sh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here is how I make canned black beans....

1 onion (medium)
    1 Cubanelle Pepper (or sweet green)
    Bit of EEOV
    Half of the liquid from black bean can

In a medium pot, heat these three till soft
    Add in...

3 TBSP white wine (dry if possible)
    1-2 TBSP ketchup
    1-2 bay leaves
    Remaining black bean can liquid

Simmer and reduce a bit then add in the beans and let cook for 10 min (or longer if you like)

Serve over rice or quinoa

Cheers :)
  • i_am_melting
    Options
    I have never tried a black bean burger. Might have to give that and the Cuban black beans a try.
  • FITIsTheNewPINK
    Options
    Black Bean Tostada Cups!
    There really isn't much of a recipe for them, you just cook the beans as directed and add either salt/pepper/chili powder or a bit of taco sauce. Take small flour tortillas and put them in muffin cups so they're like little bowls and bake at 375-ish until crispy. Fill 'em up with beans, chopped veggies, cheese, etc. and put them back in the oven until the cheese melts. Top with sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes...anything!
    Enjoy!
    :)
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm from Brazil and f there is something that can be classified as the national brazilian food that would be Black Beans.
    The favourite way to go about it is to make it into a stew with pieces of pork, smoked pork is even better. It's the sort of thing that you can add whatever vegetables you have around you and it keeps delicious, a bit like lentil stew.
    I would suggest potatoes, carrots and tomatoes (yes I know tomato is a fruit), for the port I think pancetta is the way to go. Cook it all until the beans are soft, a pressure cooker might be the best way. Serve it with rice and for the adventurous ones you can have a go at eating it with peeled pieces of orange, it's absolutely delicious.
    I hope it helps, otherwise you can always look for brazilian recipes, we call black beans Feijão, I'm sure you can find plenty of recipes in english around the web :)

^^^ This - feijoada - absolutely delicious, but can be very calorific if you don't choose the cuts of meat/sausage carefully.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    IN for Black Beans!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump, some good stuff here
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Making this tonight. I call it Turkey yumm. Brown 1 pkg ground trukey in my ceramic skillet with a little garlic power and onion powder. Add 2 cans drained and rinsed black beans (haven’t tried dry beans but I really need to.), one can yellow corn, drained and rinsed, 3 diced tomatoes and mix well. Serve over jasmine rice.

Calories: 456, Carbs: 76, Sugar: 7, Protein: 31, Iron: 39, Fiber: 11

I wish you could get turkey were I live. I miss it and this recipe sounds especially yummy. i would just eat it turkey and black beans.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Always looking for new black bean recipes - thanks!
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Chilled black bean salad! Sooo delicious in the summer. I usually eat a cup of it (about 200 calories) with a can of tuna or salmon for lunch. This recipe makes a ton of it, so you'd probably want to halve it. I used canned beans, but you can just cook the beans and throw them in.

2 15oz cans black beans (low sodium)
    2 15oz cans kidney beans (low sodium)
    1 15oz can corn
    1 7oz can corn (I didn’t want toooo much corn!)
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 small container of cherry tomatoes
    1 avocado

This sounds so delicious!!!! thanks for sharing it!!! tomorrow's dinner with grilled chicken!
    1 cup loosely chopped cilantro
    ½ red onion
    Salt to taste (I added about 3 tsp)
    Chili powder to taste (also about 3 tsp)
    Juice from 3 limes

Drain most of the juice from the beans, but leave a little for flavor. Drain all the juice from the corn. Chop up the peppers and onion finely, dice the avocado, halve the tomatoes (or however you want to prepare them, the recipe is completely flexible). Then just mix everything together and chill for a couple hours before serving.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh I have the best soup and pumpkin one,,,
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump! Bought 4 varieties of beans this weekend!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I love black beans. I love them with brown rice, I love them with avocado, I love them with salsa. I especially love them with some brown rice and an over easy egg on top. The yolk mixes with the liquids in the beans and makes the most rich and delicious kind of sauce. It might sound strange but it's crazy delicious. I gotta pick up some black beans today. Here is the recipe I use. And they do turn out better if they're soaked overnight.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/perfect-black-beans-recipe/index.html
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Post #2 Electric Boogaloo.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to increase my protein and like black beans so am giving myself a bump. I want to try the black bean and sweet potato enchiladas and a couple of the salads! Good shares
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Soak them over night, then cook them in a crockpot with hot salsa and diced onion. Make some brown rice. Take some rice and black bean mixture, put them in a warm whole wheat tortilla, add a little shredded cheddar cheese and ta da! black bean burrito!

Save any left over beans and rice for the next day. Add chopped red/yellow/green pepper, some cajun seasoning, and some spicy chicken sausage (if your a carnivore) and you have a tasty filling meal!
    gonna try this one, thanks
  • mandles82
    mandles82 Posts: 31
    Options
    Sounds funny but taste great I promise.....sweet potato black bean enchiladas!

Dice 1 sweet potato (super small pieces so it will cook faster)
    1 16 ounce jar of salsa

Put them in a skillet on med heat and cook down until potato gets tender. Add a can of black beans and stir

Put into corn tortillas and put in the oven at 350 for about 15 min. (Can also add Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheeses)

Those are a family fav that we have almost every week!

this sounds fantastic, definitely going to try this.