bump for later :)
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gia6280
    Gia6280 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I follow my grandmothers recipe, and my sauce is delicious. Meat is the key.

I make a big batch every Sunday.

To the tomatos I add bone in pork ribs and italian sausage, lightly browned first in extra virgin olive oil.
    Diced onion and garlic, sauteed in oil
    pinch of sugar
    oregano, salt, pepper, bay leaves.

I cook it on low for about 5-6 hours. The pork falls off the bone (make sure to take the bones out of the sauce) and is so tender and tasty.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you want a homemade tomato sauce, I've spent months and lbs and lbs of tomatoes experimenting and came up with my own personal favorite: http://cellacooks.tumblr.com/post/45460546117/marcella-not-quite-hazan-s-tomato-sauce

Things I like about it include:

- Loads of garlic, but it all mellows so well during the cooking process that it adds a layer of flavor without hitting you in the face.
    - Some onion flavor to add to the garlic notes, without detracting from the tomato flavor or having to deal with a bunch of slimy yucky onions in the sauce at the end.
    - The butter really does add a richness and a soft velvety-ness to the sauce that is absent when only olive oil is used.
    - Just a hint of wine adds a note of depth while keeping the major flavor of the sauce one of freshness and verve.
  • RMinge14
    RMinge14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1lb Hot Italian Sausage
    1lb sweet italian sausage
    2 onions, chopped
    2 tsp dried oregano
    12 garlic cloves (minced)
    6 oz tomato paste
    1/2 dry red wine
    2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
    1 lbs country style pork spare ribs
    1/4 cup shopped basil

Brown sausage and put aside.

Add onions to a pot and sautee until brown (6-8 mins)

Add oregano & garlic, cook 30-60 seconds

Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 mins

Add Red Wine and stir, mixing all ingredients.

Transfer contents to a slow cooker

Add diced tomatoes, sausage and spare ribs to slow cooker

Cook 8-10 hours on low, or 4-5 hours on high.

Remove spare ribs, discard bones and shred with a fork, return to sauce and serve.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    since there are already a lot of basic tomato sauces here, i thought i'd mention the tomato cheese sauce that i make. not as low cal as some of the others but it's very rich and flavorful. 184 cals for 1/4 of the recipe.

make a roux with a tablespoon of oil or butter with a tablespoon of flour, whisk in low fat milk of choice until smooth. let cook until bubbly and slightly thickened, then add 2oz of shredded fontina cheese. salt and pepper to taste.

while making the roux cook a couple of cloves of garlic in a teaspoon of olive oil, add in 5-6 diced and seeded roma tomatoes. cook until the tomatoes break down a bit. add a big handful of chopped fresh basil and then combine the two sauces.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Not so "saucy" but quick and easy after work.

Put some fresh tomatoes (cherry toms halved or larger ones chopped) in a pan with a DRAINED tin of sardines in oil, some lemon juice and zest and a pinch of chilli flakes/little chopped garlic (both optional!). Cook gently until the tomatoes are softened, then stir into freshly cooked pasta. You can add a little grated parmesan if you've got spare calories but it honestly doesn't need it!
  • VivereDisce
    Options
    I am definitely coming back to this thread a lot! I have been dying to try making my own sauces!!
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Bump!
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I made this and everyone loves it, even the 3 year old.
    Brown a pkg of lean ground turkey, then add
    2 cans diced tomatoes do NOT drain
    1 pkg pre-washed pre-sliced mushrooms *may seem lazy but I work 10 hour days so it works for me*
    3 big handfuls of baby spinach
    Pinch of minced garlic
    Cook all together until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted
    Serve over whole wheat pasta or jasmine rice.

OR

This weekend I sautéed the mushrooms in a tiny drop of extra virgin olive oil in my ceramic pan before I added it to the sauce. It was AWESOMESAUCE!

This is the only way we to *pasghetti * anymore.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I like roasting roma tomatoes with spices, and then just putting them in the blender. It makes for a deeper flavor to me.
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Any idea how many calories this is??
    This is my "pasta sauce for one" recipe. I make it often. It's easy and works perfect with 6 oz. of pasta.

8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. dried oregano
    1/8 tsp. dried basil
    1/16 tsp. crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
    2 cloves garlic, minced (I use freeze dried garlic -- about 1 tsp.)

Stir all ingredients together in a small sauce pan and cook on medium/medium-low while your pasta water boils and your pasta cooks. (Around 15 minutes total).
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Any idea how many calories this is??
    This is my "pasta sauce for one" recipe. I make it often. It's easy and works perfect with 6 oz. of pasta.

8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. dried oregano
    1/8 tsp. dried basil
    1/16 tsp. crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
    2 cloves garlic, minced (I use freeze dried garlic -- about 1 tsp.)

Stir all ingredients together in a small sauce pan and cook on medium/medium-low while your pasta water boils and your pasta cooks. (Around 15 minutes total).

Enter it into the recipe maker function here, and it will tell you all the cals and macros! :smile:
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/jo-mamas-world-famous-spaghetti-22782

i use this one. works fantastic in our lasagnas too. i usually make a huge batch and freeze the finished sauce in mason jars for future use.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    Here's one that is not tomato based. Made it tonight. Very easy with a lovely subtle sweetness. Skipped the cream, skimped on the butter and used torn basil instead of chopped parsley.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/05/quick-and-easy-roasted-red-pepper-pasta/