Feeling like quitting this!

Options
I am no longer drinking pop (haven't for 2 1/2 weeks), been drinking 6 - 9 bottles of water, and have been working out for 4 weeks.... and now I'm so frustrated from not losing any weight...I stepped on the scales at my normal time yesterday and according to it...I gained 4 pounds....how? And in a week.... I am watching closely what I eat, i fact I probably over estimate my foods on my counts... (trying to minimize sodium intake) and working out at least 5 days a week....what gives....

Is working out even worth it if I gain instead of lose....so depressing! I am at a point that it's just not worth it... Any suggestions?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of stuff about water, soda and sodium, but not a lot about accurately logging your calories and exercise, which is what is important for fat loss.

For more help please post your current height, weight, and age.

Also tell us how many calories you're getting a day and how many calories you're burning from exercise. Thanks! =)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes it is worth it, but you're going to need to figure out what works for you.

I am a boring, 54 year old person. I set myself to sedentary, asked MFP to figure out my calories, and add in my exercise. I lowered my carbs to under 40% (35% would have been better). I got visual aids to learn portion sizes and weighed/measured everything I could.

I lost initial and then got tired of the slow pace. I WISHED I could just snap my fingers and make the damn flab go away.

It didn't.

Anyway, eventually it did. It wasn't hard. It just took stubborn persistence. You're a music teacher. It's like practicing. It feels like it never helps, then that you're going backwards, then suddenly you can play. You've got to stick to it.

And really . . . measure and watch your carbs.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Also do you have a digital scale or the old fashioned kind? My digital scale isn't worth a hoot!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it? Only you can answer that.

For me, having (at this point) 20 pounds to lose NOW is a lot better than having 50 pounds to lose LATER because I decided "it wasn't worth it."
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Do you consistantly use food scales, measuring cups and so on? Getting accurate measurements gives more accurate calorie counts.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    One more question, since you are 49 yrs old, have you started going through menopause?
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Healthy choices lead to a healthier future. To me, that's always worth it.
  • Jessica11979
    Options
    Don't quit! I feel like quiting but my drive to continue is greater. I have been working out 5 days a week for three weeks now and only lost 3 lbs. I walk/jog between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 miles those days and some cross fit training exercises. I have been soda free and gluten free since February 2012. Changing to gluten free was the hardest thing ever! I am slowly re-incorporating some gluten due to my desicion to run alot. The first 2-4 weeks of any kind of change is so hard and everyone's body responds differently. It will take some more time to get all the toxins out of your body. Look at it as: it didn't take you 2 weeks to get unhealthy So it will take more than two to get healthy. You made the desision to better your health for some reason so don't give up on it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    There are a number of reasons this can happen. What works is a calorie deficit of 500-1000 per day, some simple strength training and 90 minutes of cardio exercise a week. If you are still not losing, it is probably becaue you are eating to much. In the end, a doctor should be able to help.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? It's possible that you're losing inches instead of pounds. If your clothes are fitting better and you're shrinking you are on the right track. Sometimes we need to rethink this need we have to lose pounds. If you're losing inches then you're losing fat and that's great!

Another thing to consider is that you may have chosen the wrong activity level. I'm not as active as I thought I was. I just recently had to readjust my numbers to start getting results again. You may just need to tweak your plan a little but don't give up. Of course, it's worth it.

I also recommend weighing your food. It would be nice if we didn't have to be so careful and accurate about everything we eat but for most of us we do need to do that.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Read the success stories - there you will find people who DO think this is worth it. The weight didn't go on in four weeks, and it will take a long time to come off. Your diary is closed so it is hard for people to help you. One thing - YOU have to be ready to "want" this as they say - to have that moment when you just think "that's it"!

Check this out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Gender and age are no barrier to losing weight - I was 60 when I started this, lost weight.

Focus on change not goals. If you change and substitute healthy choices in all things, the goal will come.

Good luck, I hope you don't stay discouraged.
    PS Giving up pop and drinking lots of water are two great things to start with food-wise, also exercising regularly - good work. :smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of stuff about water, soda and sodium, but not a lot about accurately logging your calories and exercise, which is what is important for fat loss.

Also tell us how many calories you're getting a day and how many calories you're burning from exercise. Thanks! =)

^ this
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Where will you be a year from now if you quit? If you don't?
  • PReiss828
    PReiss828 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Last Friday, after weighing in, I said the same thing...I felt like saying "the heck with this"...why keep at it if it isn't working...but I did buy shorts two weeks ago that were two sizes smaller...I know in my head I have to keep going...but it is awfully frustrating at times!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^ this

Yep This......
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, too. Let me tell you what works for me, in case it applies to you, too.

I set my calorie goal for my BMR as if I were sedentary, which turns out to be 1600 calories (5' 7", 178 lbs.) I weigh everything I can on my food scale and go to great lengths to make my log as accurate as can be.

I eat back my exercise calories because my exercise schedule is erratic and highly variable. It's important to make sure you have a pretty accurate idea of calories you've burned, since MFP data can be way off. I used a HRM to get an idea of my typical burn for activities. I generally lift weights for about 25 minutes, 2-3 days a week. When my taekwondo school is in session I go to classes 45-120 minutes in a week, depending on when I can make it. Other days, I try to walk outdoors to get some exercise.

I always have ice water near me and try to stay well hydrated.

I keep my sodium at or below 2000mg most of the time.

I only weigh myself on the morning of a day AFTER a rest day, and even then I will not bother if I can tell I am retaining water because my rings are tight on my fingers. (Exercise can cause your muscles to retain water for repair.)

I hope this helps!
  • pixeltrash
    pixeltrash Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing about inches rather than lbs.

Cut the sugar out of your diet too. It really does help with cravings of the wrong kind of food. You will notice the sweetness in vegetables and fruits when you cut out processed sugar.
  • cutieryan
    cutieryan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for a long time now, and I can't even count the number of times where it just didn't seem "worth it" to me either... and my weight just kept creeping up. Here's how I'm (trying) to look at it now. Lets say it takes three years to lose the 60 pounds I have left to go until my goal. Working this hard to lose like 1/3 of a pound a week doesn't seem worth it on the surface but in 3 years I could be at my goal weight... or I could be worrying about paying for 2 seats on an airplane. Of course I'm hoping to get to goal long before 3 years but either way I know if I work hard every day I'll be a happy girl in the future.
    31700263.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am lifting weights and doing 20 lb dumbbell bicep curls (in each hand to 40 lbs total).
    I have lost 35.5 lbs.
    I can curl more than I lost, I think its totally worth it.
    I eat about 1800 cals a day based on my activities and exercise routine.

Dont quit. Figure out how many cals you need to eat based on your activities and eat that. Workout too. Losing weight is not supposed to be easy but it sure as **** is not as hard as being fat (physically, emotionally).
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh in the morning after you use the restroom but before you eat? That's the best time to do it. Make sure to count all your little snacks you eat and log it. The smart phone app helps a lot.