I have serious problems with my mom

Options

Replies

• SheTalksWithAngels
    Options
    Urgh!
  • SheTalksWithAngels
    Options
    If you really are a WOMAN in her 30s (and not a teenage girl), you need to seek counseling, not a message board.

I'm getting counseling but this place gives me much needed ADVICE!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Don't trip chocolate chip, be yourself, those who matter don't mind, and those who mind DON'T MATTER.

Awe, this was cute. :smile:
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to be far-far away from her. Leave no forwarding address. Sometimes we find ourselves related to the worst people on the planet, but we are no more obligated to interact with them than with any other loathesome creature.

+1

My mom was the same way when I was younger. She was always super critical of me and my weight and the fact that I got good grades was not enough to combat this. There were many other contributing factors, but once I moved away from home to go to college I never spoke to her again. Couldn't be more content with my decision. I simply do not need toxic people in my life.

Perhaps you are exaggerating a little to yourself and on here, and maybe you don't want to cut her out completely. I would just greatly reduce the amount of contact you have with her until she straightens out her issues.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I was having similar problems. While they aren't totally fixed, I had to dig deep into the problem so I was able to stop eating all of the junk when I got upset. You have to look at her as someone who is negative, not as your mother. So many people don't get it because they don't have toxic parents. What I had to do was first limit the amount of information you give because that is just ammo for her to talk about you to others. You have to also decide if you want to cut down or completely stop communications with her. If you feel that you can't, then you'll have to tell her straight out it isn't okay what she is doing.

bump
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My mom was the same way to me growing up. Luckily, she's gotten so self-centered she ignores me most of the time now.

But back then, I would tune her out. I ate a lot too because her biggest criticism of me was that I was fat. She told me not to eat, I did it out of defiance.

Distance might help some, if you can. It's hard for me to not care what my mom thinks, but that's the point I had to get to to break her hold on me.

Good luck!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    First let me start by saying I am a 50 year old woman who still has issues with my negative mother who takes every opprotunity to play her 4 children against each other. Several years ago I realized (with much anxiety) that I was a grown up woman with a comfortable home, a husband who loves me for me and for who I AM, two amazing children that I stayed home to raise (one of my proudest accomplishments) and a successful career. And I achieved all of that inspite of her backstabbing, betrayal and negativity.

I dug in, I drew boundary lines and I cut her out pretty much completely. I occasionally let her back into my life little by little until she tries to cross those boundaries yet again. Then I make the decision to pull back. I also went to counselling and worked on me because I am the only one I can control. I grew strong and proud and realized that what I've always taught my kids now applied to me. That was "Nobody gets to treat you that way unless you let them. Even family" and "Be very careful whose opinions you let matter."

Good luck with your journey. I wish you a strong, healthy future.

Brilliant!
  • kitscatpaws
    Options
    My mom was always critical about my weight and it always made me rebel and just get fatter. She lost a very rough battle with cancer last year and I have only been able to start losing weight and become healthier since she passed away but I tell you what, I would rather weigh 500 pounds and still have my mom here with me.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I divorced my family... i still love and treasure my memories from my dad, but my stepmother sees me as an evil interloper (even 30 years later)
    so , the harsh words, if youre in a situation where you cannot leave, do what i did, in one week, i wrote everything she said to me .. and then i made a copy and gave it to both of them , it fixed it for a little while ...
    but eventually it got bad again, to the point where she would not let him attend my wedding nor walk me down the aisle, or she was going to divorce him...

so i said, ok if thats how its going to be, then youre right, immediate family first, i have never looked back , the only contact we have is through facebook.
    thats it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Tell her she's a dumb cow and nobody likes her.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Put some distance between her and you, no forwarding address and don't give her your phone number.

Life is too short to allow negative people to suck the joy out of it.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can't stop criticism, but you can stop letting it get to you. Have a frank chat with your mom and tell her "when you say X, it hurts my feelings. Please stop." Then whenever she says X, just repeat "I asked you not to say that. Please stop." She'll either get the message or she wont but if you don't play the game you may find it easier to deal with.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I struggle with my mother as well. I'm 23 and not dependent on her for anything other than an occasional babysitter. One of my problems was that I talked to her too much about my life and what went on. She's bad enough without extra information, but by telling her all about things, I was only adding fuel to the fire. We also lived VERY close... same apartment complex for a year. It had it's perks, but it caused me to be deeply affected by her behavior because I was around it all the time. I have since moved, and moved on. If she wants to continue living emotionally unhealthy and wants to push her negativity onto others, at least I won't be one of the people that has to deal with it. Now, I invite her over when I want to see her or call her if I want to stop by. The distance helped to put the power back into my hands. When she starts getting out of line, I distance myself again. Over time, if you don't do something about this calmly, if you're anything like me, you run the risk of blowing up on her. In my situation, I feel that she gave birth to me, she took care of me, she has done a lot for me. I don't want to treat her the same way she treats me, even though she's being unfair. I would rather just move on with my life and be happy.

Don't let someone else's negativity bring you down, regardless of who it is. Good luck!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The most important thing you need to realize, is that it's not you, it's HER. Way, way, way too often, parents take out their deep seeded issues on their children (with or without realizing it). I can guarantee that her criticizing you and trash talking you has NOTHING to do with you. (Again, whether she realizes it or not). From birth to death, it should not be our goal to live our lives only to please others. Be yourself, for YOU! Forget what she says, because odds are, you'll nevee make her happy anyway. And that's ok!!!! Make yourself happy!!!! :)
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have cut my mom out of my life for periods of time. You are not obligated to be anyone's punching bag. As for tuning it out. I've found that nearly impossible, because someone that close to you really knows how to get to you. If you can't shut her out altogether, minimize contact, brace yourself for the worst, and have a good friend to vent with afterwards. Mother daughter relationships can be very difficult.
  • IndianMuslim
    IndianMuslim Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Parents and families are a blessing. We all get into fights with our parents and siblings, but at the end of the day you should really forgive and forget and make the most of the time you do have together. My eldest sister left our family over 20 years ago and stopped talking to our parents because of her husband. Her kids grew up without knowing their two aunts, grandparents, and little cousins.

Being a mom myself, I understand now how difficult it is to raise children. We may say things we don't mean, but that doesn't lessen the unconditional love we have for our kids. Have a heart-to-heart with your mom. Tell her how you feel.

I wish you the best and hope you can repair your relationship with your mom before it is too late.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My mom has been the same way over the years. I am her youngest and I never had a great relationship with her growing up. She was never the type of person you could talk to or have a serious conversation with and get the comforting advice like you should get from a mother. If I did have a conversation with her, she would blow it way out of proportion and then blab it to anyone who would listen. I had my first child at 16 and moved out of the house at 19. During my late teens through my mid 20's she was extremely critical of everything I did from how clean my house was to parenting my children. I think in her mind this was her way of supporting me but instead it felt like she was always pointing out what I was doing wrong. She would always drop in without calling first, which I hate, and if she would call and I wasn't home, she would leave a message and then turn around and call my cell. She would do this back and forth starting every hour reducing it little by little until if I ignored it long enough it would get to be a phone call every 5 minutes by the end of that same day. It got to be to the point that I felt like I was being stalked by my own mother. I never said too much about it, out of respect for my elders, until 4 or 5 years ago the flu had run through my house so during that week I didn't talk really to anyone outside my house. My mom couldn't reach me for about 1 or 2 days, because I was sick and she decided to just drop in, which I hate and I finally had had enough and blew up at her. I reamed her up one side and then down another about everything. Let's just say she is very careful about everything she says to me now and about calling before she shows up. I'm not saying that you should blow up at your mother like I did,but you really need to try to tell her that you don't like how she is treating you and that if something doesn't change, it may seriously damage your relationship to the point that you can never repair it.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My mother was the same way, but something she said to me when she got older: "The way I was brought up we were taught that the way to get your children to improve was to criticize them."

She was very critical of both me and my brother....my brother is pretty much a recluse, and I have had more therapy than a Hollywood starlet. (Lots of it.)

She can't help it. It was probably the way she was raised. It is probably the way her parents were raised. It is now hardwired.

My best advice: Don't respond. I let her vent and vent and vent and vent..till all the toxicity is out of her, and then I change the subject to Jennifer Aniston or some reality show.
  • MarishaRea
    MarishaRea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This was me a few months ago since then I have removed her from my life completely and now I am finally able to start loosing weight without any negative comments to bring me crashing back down again :-)
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just so you know I have just sent a text to my 2 daughters telling them both something positive. If nothing else you've made me a little bit better of a mother.

Thanks,