You know you're a Geek when.......

Options

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When you have Doctor Who and Star Wars memorabilia and toys all over your hours and can't walk by your 2 foot tall plush Dalek without pushing the button to make it talk.

"Exterminate!"
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    When you grew up swearing that if you ever had twins, you'd name them Luke & Leia....and came very close to naming your first child Sora a la Kingdom Hearts.

When your idea of a perfect date is ordering in and having a classic horror marathon rather than going out. Who needs to spend hours getting ready to go to fancy restaurants and such anyway?

When you go online in search of old school sega games(Mortal Kombat especially), for that console you STILL have. Why? Because cartridges are still effing awesome, that's why!!

Also...every other sentence out of my mouth is a movie quote.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When you have a discussion about the similarities between Baron Vladimir Harkonnen and Jabba the Hutt.

At least you didn't marry the first one like I did. :/

He is STILL referred to as the Floating Fat Man.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Easy. You and your computer geek friends pass up your senior party to bring your computers to a friend's house so you can play each other's computers (conveniently different platforms) into the wee hours.

That's by far the geekiest thing I've been directly involved in.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Bahaha! I used to kill the hookers after I paid them too, might as well get my cash back and then some lol. Loved Vice City, hated GTA4... played it for a day and now it sits there collecting dust.

My obsession at the moment is trying to get 100% completion on ME2 & ME3, Borderlands 2 and The Last of Us.

The Last of Us was incredible! I am on my 3rd playthrough, I want as many acheives as I can get haha.

Love to see the Legend of Zelda love out there! Honestly one of the best series ever produced.

What I am excited for is Diablo 3 on PS3 (yes I already pre-ordered it) and I also pre-ordered Final Fantasy X & X-2 for PS3 that comes out in December and I will probably pre-order the PS3 after my vacation in August... still on the fence about XOne... not sure if I can stay loyal to them after their reveal unless they release a must have game.

... I could talk about this stuff forever... any XBOX gamers out there that wanna game with me, feel free to hit me up!

Ok, I love you. Seriously. I'm a PS3 girl, and I just finished The Last of Us and am still in awe. I am dying for FFX to come out, because I wanted it so badly back when it was released, but my ex was anti-Sony.

I took a week off for the Diablo 3 release and built my first gaming rig in years for it - (and found the cow level) and, I haven't touched it in a while... I should do that.

I'm currently waiting for Watch Dogs to come out as well. And I gotta go back and play DMC, because I screwed it up pretty badly and can't finish it. (As a HUGE Combichrist fan, that game is one of the few I don't mind going back through several times...and. Well. Dante) But for now, I'm picking up Magic the Gathering (on the PS3) because I am trying to learn to play with my cousins, and I am teh suck.

I have yet to break my Final Fantasy XIII streak of 265 hours, though I came close with Skyrim at 210.

Caveat - as much as I love gaming... I suck donkey balls at it. :blushing:
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    So a geek is more technology and gamer based? and a Nerd is more books and philosophy? someone explain so I can yell at people to stop calling me a geek just because I get super stoked when I get to go to the bookstore.

Bookworm?

Haters gon hate, you enjoy yourself! :)
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When you inform your boss that you will need vacation for the launch of PS4 and the new FF and Kingdom Hearts :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    When your idea of a perfect date is ordering in and having a classic horror marathon rather than going out. Who needs to spend hours getting ready to go to fancy restaurants and such anyway?

My (then boyfriend - now husband) used to have "play dates", where we would order in and play LOTRO or guitar hero. To this day our ideal "date night" isn't going out to eat or to a movie, it's staying in and 1v1-ing until one of us gets so mad we have to stop before one of us files for divorce. Then we'll turn on Dr Who, Firefly or Stargate Atlantis. :bigsmile:
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    We need to get all the PS3/4 MFP's together!!

Watchdogs looks amazing!!

However if you haven't watched the new GTA5 gameplay trailer, I would!!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    ... you have a standing subscription to the latest Gambit comic
    ... you spent your lunch hour playing League of Legends (and being happy that you rolled Amumu)
    ... you just asked for a few hours off because you're seeing Stephen King speak next week
    ... you are STILL listening to the Bastion and Binding of Isaac soundtracks non-stop
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options

My (then boyfriend - now husband) used to have "play dates", where we would order in and play LOTRO or guitar hero. To this day our ideal "date night" isn't going out to eat or to a movie, it's staying in and 1v1-ing until one of us gets so mad we have to stop before one of us files for divorce. Then we'll turn on Dr Who, Firefly or Stargate Atlantis. :bigsmile:

:laugh: That's awesome!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    You started programming BASIC as a kid on a TRS80.
    Apple II at school and Commodore 64 at home, I was bilingual in BASIC. I had a friend with a 'trash coco' though.
    Remember when Haynes Modems ruled.
    Check.
    Remember the OSUNY days of the F80 and CDC that was ROACHED.
    ....uh, nope (marks a red 'X')
    Can identify with the green text on a black screen loaded from floppy that might start, "You're in a room. There is a small fire in the north corner. You hear talking...."
    Check.

This quiz was pass/fail, right? Can I get extra credit for the following:
    During a summer program, I was entrusted with the daily, unattended setup of a computer lab with 30 Apple II... at the age of 6? I got there early and the janitor was the only person there and would let me in because it was upper-90s outside. I helped the teacher set things up the first couple of days and he was so impressed that he told the janitor to unlock the storage room and let me do it from then on.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    You started programming BASIC as a kid on a TRS80.
    Remember when Haynes Modems ruled.
    Can identify with the green text on a black screen loaded from floppy that might start, "You're in a room. There is a small fire in the north corner. You hear talking...."
    That would be a *Hayes* modem. I owned 300, 1200, 2400, and 14400 baud versions myself. Apple IIe.

"Put the fish in my ear"

!@#%(*^&*(&(()*&)(&*_)(+
    NO CARRIER

I used to know command line strings....attention, dial, echo, loudness, etc. Then later Robotics modems with error correction, conect rates, etc.
    Long time ago though.

Had a bunch of Apples and a nice Texas Instruments TI-99 too.
  • Britters101
    Britters101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost a week of my life to Skryrim.

Best week ever.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options

What I am excited for is Diablo 3 on PS3 (yes I already pre-ordered it) and I also pre-ordered Final Fantasy X & X-2 for PS3 that comes out in December and I will probably pre-order the PS3 after my vacation in August... still on the fence about XOne... not sure if I can stay loyal to them after their reveal unless they release a must have game.

... I could talk about this stuff forever... any XBOX gamers out there that wanna game with me, feel free to hit me up!

I was really, really bummed about Diablo 3. Loved it at first, then the nerfs got crazy, then stupid, then ridiculous. Thankfully, by that point, I'd made it through two difficulties and figured there was nothing left for me and I wandered away. The worst part was that (and they may have changed it) you could just click someone's name and join their game without their permission... instantly bumping the ML of the boss they were fighting at the time. Whoops.
  • Bassafrass80
    Bassafrass80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you have 12 charachters on AION and you play them all to level them up quickly
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    totally outing myself here. i geek out about a lot of random stuff: archie comics, jason mraz, hanson, crafts (knitting, cross stitching), FOOD!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Did someone say hookers?
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When your annual family vacation is to a sci-fi convention in Atlanta, and it involves year-long planning of superhero costumes with 10 of your friends and buying photo-ops with Star Trek actors. Dragon*Con '13, here we come :D
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ....uh, nope (marks a red 'X')
    [/quote]

Yeah, just some old hack and BBS sites everyone in the world dialed into.