You know you're a Geek when.......

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You started programming BASIC as a kid on a TRS80.
    Remember when Haynes Modems ruled.
    Remember the OSUNY days of the F80 and CDC that was ROACHED.
    Can identify with the green text on a black screen loaded from floppy that might start, "You're in a room. There is a small fire in the north corner. You hear talking...."

I remember trash80s! And being the only girl in my junior high in my computer programming class (the first of its kind ever at my school). And using a tape deck for storage. Then thinking a floppy disk was awesome. And playing Adam's Adventure games on perhaps less than original floppies. Then zomg the 90s and modems that didn't require you to put a phone handset into them and getting up to 9600 baud and feeling like it was the best thing in the world!
  • cyapounds
    cyapounds Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When your office looks like a toy room and you have more toys than any 6yr old
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    when you can name three Klingons off the top of your head who were not returning main characters in any of the Star Trek Franchise. i.e. Warf, Alexander, and Kahn do not count as they returned time after time

Feklar - Klingon Devil
    Kaliss - high and exhaulted Klingon Warrior
    Gowron - Took over Klingon High Council
    Um, Gowron was in several eps of ST:TNG and ST:DS9... probably in more eps than Alexander. And Kahless (note the proper spelling) was in couple of eps as well (albeit a clone or flashback/re-enactment).
    Bonus: Worf is the ST character who's appeared in the most eps in the ST Universe. (7 season of TNG & 4 seasons of DS9, plus 3 movies).
    Kahn? Did you mean, Kurn, Worf's brother?

<drops phaser-shaped mic... walks away>

NO! Kahn as in the Wrath of Kahn (i.e.-a main character) who also appeared in the original classic series .....I think Gowron no more than 2 TNG episodes. However I never watched DS9, so you may have me on that character....so I'll replace him Durell who was Douras's son who tried to take over the Klingon High Coucil. I applaud you for your correct spelling of Kahless....I cannot spell the names correctly. However pick up that phaser shaped microphone sit down for not knowing who Kahn is.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That "fake geek girl" s*** is so sexist and stupid. You're allowed to look however you want and still be a "real geek" (and that's according to whom, again?)
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    And to add a little to it: You know you're in a geek family when:

- You and your wife consider matching cosplay to an anime convention.
    - Your toddler likes to pretend to be Vincent or Cloud from FF7
    - Your wife crochets from scratch a Chocobo and Totoro for baby toys.

Please dress your kiddo up as Vincent. PLEASE. Send photos. HILARIOUS! And awesome.

The husband and I were just discussing matching cosplays for next year's PAX East. We've already done Death & Dream from Sandman, now we're moving onto gamer cosplay.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I took a week off for the release of Diablo 3 haha!

I also frequently use game references in regular everyday talking and am worse by using movie quotes to make a conversation with friends.

I also named my dog Link, everyone should know what that name is from XD

<3
    I named my dogs after FF7 characters, Cloud and Aries

Diablo 3 is worth the time off!!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Also ladies, hate to burst your bubble but....

YR1yRvC.jpg

I've done both, both are equally good in bed in different ways.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    By the way, this Saturday is Embrace Your Geekness Day!

GeeknessEvent2.jpg

Remember to GO GEEK!
  • bigphatcat
    Options
    Also when the password to some of your former accounts was the launch code for Joshua to launch the Thermoglobal Nuclear War Missilles in the original War Games movies....you might be a geek!

CPE 1704 TKS
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    when you can name three Klingons off the top of your head who were not returning main characters in any of the Star Trek Franchise. i.e. Warf, Alexander, and Kahn do not count as they returned time after time
    NO! Kahn as in the Wrath of Kahn (i.e.-a main character) who also appeared in the original classic series .....I think Gowron no more than 2 TNG episodes. However I never watched DS9, so you may have me on that character....so I'll replace him Durell who was Douras's son who tried to take over the Klingon High Coucil. I applaud you for your correct spelling of Kahless....I cannot spell the names correctly. However pick up that phaser shaped microphone sit down for not knowing who Kahn is.
    <game show buzzer> Sorry, but Kahn was an augmented human, not a Klingon. I know who Kahn was, but you said 'Klingons' so that's why I thought you meant Kurn, who was in several TNG/DS9 episodes. So I'll leave the phaser/mic right where I left it! :wink:
    Thanks for playing! The fact that you know what Klingons are makes you OK in my book. :drinker:

Bonus #1: Klingons were featured heavily in ST:DS9 season 4, when they attacked the Cardassians (not Kim, Kris, Khloe, etc.; that's for pro athletes and ballers) and later got their collective *kitten* handed to them by the Dominion.

Bonus #2: The whole "why do ST:TOS Klingons looks different from Klingons in the later series" was hinted upon by a DS9 ep and later fully addressed by a 2-part ST:ENT eps dealing with augments, both humans and Klingon. I thought it was a cheesy explanation, but it minimally-served its purpose given the detailed history that had to 'loophole'.

P.S. I have watched all 700+ eps from all 5 series (plus the animated series, which was mostly non-canon), so I knowz mah stuff!
  • bigphatcat
    Options
    <game show buzzer> Sorry, but Kahn was an augmented human, not a Klingon. I know who Kahn was, but you said 'Klingons' so that's why I thought you meant Kurn, who was in several TNG/DS9 episodes. So I'll leave the phaser/mic right where I left it! :wink:
    Thanks for playing! The fact that you know what Klingons are makes you OK in my book. :drinker:

Bonus #1: Klingons were featured heavily in ST:DS9 season 4, when they attacked the Cardassians (not Kim, Kris, Khloe, etc.; that's for pro athletes and ballers) and later got their collective *kitten* handed to them by the Dominion.

Bonus #2: The whole "why do ST:TOS Klingons looks different from Klingons in the later series" was hinted upon by a DS9 ep and later fully addressed by a 2-part ST:ENT eps dealing with augments, both humans and Klingon. I thought it was a cheesy explanation, but it minimally-served its purpose given the detailed history that had to 'loophole'.

P.S. I have watched all 700+ eps from all 5 series (plus the animated series, which was mostly non-canon), so I knowz mah stuff!

Bows to the master :drinker:
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Also are counting the days till the Dr Who 50th anniversary special and the Christmas episode, as well are cheesed off because you have been planning a TARDIS tattoo for ages but saving up is taking WAY too long!

^^ This,

Or you have lost count on the times you have re-watching your favorite episodes.
    Also getting into arguments over your friends over your favorite Doctor as well.

Or you get judgy with those who refuse to watch certain companions OR watch them in order. My best friend REFUSES to watch Doctor 9 or the Rose saga. And proclaims herself the greatest Doctor Who fan ever. FWIW, I'm a huge DW collector and have arguments back and forth on different theories with different people. And encompassing all of the side projects! I have a whole scheme on what The Blessing is. And yet - there's only ONE of my friends that's seen every one of the reboot episodes in order.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    When you get excited when a new device is being released fully knowing you would never be able to afford it.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    When you go back home on vacation and end up fixing at least three friends/family computers ... And they've waited a year for this!
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    omg...............I can't stop laughing at this.............
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Also are counting the days till the Dr Who 50th anniversary special and the Christmas episode, as well are cheesed off because you have been planning a TARDIS tattoo for ages but saving up is taking WAY too long!

^^ This,

Or you have lost count on the times you have re-watching your favorite episodes.
    Also getting into arguments over your friends over your favorite Doctor as well.

Or you get judgy with those who refuse to watch certain companions OR watch them in order. My best friend REFUSES to watch Doctor 9 or the Rose saga. And proclaims herself the greatest Doctor Who fan ever. FWIW, I'm a huge DW collector and have arguments back and forth on different theories with different people. And encompassing all of the side projects! I have a whole scheme on what The Blessing is. And yet - there's only ONE of my friends that's seen every one of the reboot episodes in order.

How the heck can people not watch a season just bacause the doctor changed? Fans of the original series are used to this by now. Bring back Tennantt you say? Bring back Tom Baker! Or give us a jelly baby.