Your green smoothie creations!!

Options

Replies

• shirleyrandr
    shirleyrandr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is a great site. Love green smoothies. I am leaving this post to keep track of the smoothies site. Is there a better way to keep track of favorite recipes?
  • FindingTimeForMe
    FindingTimeForMe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Posting to follow this.......great recommendations. I tried Kale, strawberries, protein powder, flax seed and almond/coconut milk, water and ice; tasted great however I need to invest in a new blender. I have one of those bullets and with all those ingredients it doesn't mix good enough. I have to do half and half. If anyone has a blender recommendation that would be great.....maybe a few steps down from the VitaMix (I heard this one is great but also $300). Thanks everyone for the recipes. I thought the spinach/kale icecubes idea was brilliant!!!!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I make protein smoothies put 2 things of chocolate whey almond milk bananas peanutbuter is good
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    2 spinach ice cubes

Spinach ice cubes -- I am a dunce and always forget about spinach when I buy it or it goes bad before I get to use it all. So when I want to add greens to my smoothies for the week, I prepare ahead of time by making spinach ice cubes.

Just add spinach to your blender a handful or two at a time (depending on the size of your blender) with a quarter cup of water. Blend it down to a liquid then add another handful, etc., until it's all blended. Add water as needed. The consistency I shoot for is a thick soup, but smooth enough to pour. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

[/quote]

:flowerforyou: I LOVE The Spinach Ice Idea!! That is going into my Book!!

My Sister made this for me on Father's Day and it is The FIRST Time I have EVER enjoyed a Green Smoothie

2 Cups Baby Spinach
    3/4 Cup Frozen Mango Chunks
    3/4 Cup Frozen Pineapple Chunks
    1 Medium Avocado, pitted
    3/4 to 1 Cup Water or Crushed Ice

Blend all ingredients until Smooth adding water and / or crushed ice as needed for Texture.
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    This morning I made this it was pretty good.

.5 lime, juiced
    .5 valencia orange, juiced
    1 tsp ginger root
    half a large carrot
    1 banana
    about 6 or 7 medium strawberries
    1 cup raw Kale
    .5 tsp of Tumeric
    1 tbsp Flaxseed
    1 cup of water

I blended the kale carrot and water first for a while to break it down a little more than everything else. Having the flaxseed or healthy fats in the morning tells your body it doesn't have to worry about storing fats for the day so when you exercise today your body works with you. I frozen the bananas and strawberries to the shake would be cold. :) It was pretty delicious!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Kale, Spinnach, 1/2 banana, 1 Spear Pineapple, 1 mint leaf, 3 thick slices cucumber, 1 cup Unsweetened Apple Juice

I use the Ninja individual blender and fill to the line, so sometimes the measurements vary. Delicious.

I added a half a carrot once and it ruined it. Also, once tried adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder.... that did not end well at all. *barf*
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have become very interested in making drinking green smoothies. I have made a couple of delicious ones and one or two really bad ones. Haha. I thought I could share some of my creations and try some news mixtures if anyone would like to share some of their favorites.. So have at it! :)

When I make a "green" smoothie, I use my regular smoothie base with a little tweaking. I think it's important to remember that green smoothies don't have to *look* green and I say this because my smoothie creation is still relatively blue/purple :wink:

So every smoothie I make has the base of a frozen banana. I cut my ingredients up ahead of time and freeze them because I like a good chilly smoothie, but fresh is fine as well, I just recommend freezing the banana for texture purposes.

Here it is:
    1 medium banana
    1 cup strawberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    water as needed
    2 spinach ice cubes

Spinach ice cubes -- I am a dunce and always forget about spinach when I buy it or it goes bad before I get to use it all. So when I want to add greens to my smoothies for the week, I prepare ahead of time by making spinach ice cubes.

Just add spinach to your blender a handful or two at a time (depending on the size of your blender) with a quarter cup of water. Blend it down to a liquid then add another handful, etc., until it's all blended. Add water as needed. The consistency I shoot for is a thick soup, but smooth enough to pour. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

I bought extra ice cube trays for this because they are VERY green ice cubes and I don't like having to scrub the color out haha. I use a paring knife to loosen the cubes when I take them out for a smoothie so I don't get green fingers (it washes off though).

Add 2 cubes to your smoothie to get greens into your day! The best part is that you've already blended the spinach, so it's better broken down and less noticeable flavor wise. I've been told you can do this with kale but I'm kind of scared of kale!

Your spinach icecubes idea is shear GENIUS... My spinach always goes bad before I finish it. Same with the Kale. And btw don't be scare, Kale is amazingly delicious. Thanks for this tip.
  • meshamoo
    meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crell504
    crell504 Posts: 10
    Options
    It took a while for me to get the hang of making "green smoothies". Now I have at least one a day. I have a Ninja blender which is awesome and allows you to make 16 oz servings instead of a full blender... anyways here is a good one:

1 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 banana
    1 large or 2 small kiwis
    1 cup of baby spinach (or one big handful)
    1cup almond milk (or soy; water can also be subsituted)

or I made this this morning

1 cup frozen blue berries
    1 cup frozen mango chunks
    1 cup baby spinach
    some fresh mint leaves
    1.5 cups water (or whatever other liquid mentioned above)

**(I also add a scoop of Green Superfood from whole foods)...
  • ThinkThin85
    ThinkThin85 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks for the ideas :)
  • LORENAMORENO33
    Options
    This is exactly what i was looking for !! Great ideas can't wait to try these recipes. Does anyone recommend a good protein powder to use?
  • momdukes1962
    Options
    I would some of your recipes please, thank you
  • momdukes1962
    Options
    Hi my name is Evelyn and I'm drinking whey protein isolate with almond milk it's really tasty
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Blended Green Apple Martini

Ingredients
    1 gl cinnamon (sugar for rimming)
    5 tbsps vodka
    5 tbsps apple schnapps
    5 tbsps lemonade
    5 tbsps 7-up (soda such as 7 up or sprite)

240 cal 280mg potassium 10 mg sodium 28gm fiber

blended in a vitamix :bigsmile:
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    28g Protein Powder
    13g Golden Flax Seed Meal
    7g Psyllium Husk
    1g Cinnamon
    6 oz Fresh Strawberries
    4 oz Fresh Baby Spinach
    3-4 oz Banana
    2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk

Roughly 400 calories depending on the size of the banana. Very tasty!
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi, Here is my favorite green smoothie.

1 Ripe Mango
    1 cup Spinach
    4 cups Romaine Lettuce
    ( I chopped both the spinach and romaine to help the blending)
    1/2 Cup Soy, Hemp or Almond Milk (use to your desired thickness)
    1 Tbl Chia Seed
    1 Tbl Ground Flaxseed

Blend the Mango, spinach and 1/2 romaine until smooth, add remaining romaine. blend, then add remaining ingredients, chia seeds, flaxseed and your milk choice. Then blend until desired thickness, add additional milk if you like it thinner. You can also add 1/2 banana to add some additional flavor. A frozen banana would be good to make it cooler...

Enjoy!

I never had a green smoothie and I want to try this one!!! thanks for sharing!!!
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Blended Green Apple Martini

Ingredients
    1 gl cinnamon (sugar for rimming)
    5 tbsps vodka
    5 tbsps apple schnapps
    5 tbsps lemonade
    5 tbsps 7-up (soda such as 7 up or sprite)

240 cal 280mg potassium 10 mg sodium 28gm fiber

blended in a vitamix :bigsmile:

Sounds great!!!
  • sunny747
    sunny747 Posts: 8
    Options
    My kids love 1/2 cup spinach, 2 teaspoons of yogurt, some almond milk (I eyeball it depending on how much I can fit in the cup), half a banana, and 1/2 a pear. I use a generic brand cup blender and I use the tall cups. I am still trying to find something that I like......
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I made this one the other day,

Two handfuls of spinach
    one banana
    huge spoonful of peanut butter
    chocolate protein powder
    some almond milk
    ice cubes

Haha i know the measurements aren't that great but it taste amazing
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here is one I have been making a lot lately. Refreshing.

Cucumber mint smoothie

1 c plain kefir or yogurt
    1/3 c egg whites
    One apple
    1/2 cup or so English cucumber (my preference, regular ones are likely fine)
    Handful of spinach, ~cup or so
    1/4 tsp of peppermint extract
    Few drops of stevia
    Ice