FRUSTRATED!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1, 164 lbs, 27 years old. I am a mother of 2 so i'm constantly on the go. I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred in the mornings and i am on the treadmill for at least 45 min (depending on the needs of the kids) at least 3 times a week. i also cut the grass a lot with a push mower (an acre). Weigh or measure my foods? I count the calories if that's what you mean.... I am on a budget so i try to eat as healthy as i can within my means. A lot of veggies and fruit, i drink protein shakes when i don't get enough protein. I eat mostly chicken when i eat meat. But if i have a steak it's just a small portion. I've lost 45 lbs before doing the same thing i'm doing now..so i'm confused.

How do you count the calories though, in order to do that, you need to know how much stuff weighs. Do you weigh your food in order to get the correct calories amount?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Expecting Biggest Loser type loses when you live in reality. 1 pound a week is fantastic.

Also undereating and overexercising likely isn't doing you any favors.
    THIS!!

And I know someone said you're gaining muscle, but if you're eating that little....that's VERY unlikely...

patience_grasshopper_mug.jpg?side=Back&height=160&width=160&padToSquare=true
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am 5'1, 164 lbs, 27 years old. I am a mother of 2 so i'm constantly on the go. I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred in the mornings and i am on the treadmill for at least 45 min (depending on the needs of the kids) at least 3 times a week. i also cut the grass a lot with a push mower (an acre). Weigh or measure my foods? I count the calories if that's what you mean.... I am on a budget so i try to eat as healthy as i can within my means. A lot of veggies and fruit, i drink protein shakes when i don't get enough protein. I eat mostly chicken when i eat meat. But if i have a steak it's just a small portion. I've lost 45 lbs before doing the same thing i'm doing now..so i'm confused.

I believe it's a combination of setting up your goals to be too aggressive. Based on harris benedict, your estimated BMR is around 1528. Take in the fact, that you are lightly active because you are active with kids, without exercise, you would be around 2100 calories in a day. So if you selected 2 lbs per week, it would try to subtract 1000 calories with the stipulation that you can not go lower than 1200 calories. With that said, do you have your account set at lightly active and lightly active? Also, when you exercise you burn more calories so you need to eat more.

Personally, I would suggest your base calories should be around 1700 calories since you really don't have that much more to lose, so you can't expect huge losses at this point. Also, when exercise I would suggest eating an additional 200 calories or you should set your calories at 1800 calories daily and not worry about eating back exercise calories. When you exercise, you burn more calories and your body requires more fuel.
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    I'm so frustrated with the scale!!!! I only lost 1 pound last week! I know, I know its a loss but 1 pound?! ugh!!! I stick to my 1200 calories and I work out hard every day! Its not like I don't have the weight to lose. I have lost 47 pounds and have at least another 35 pounds to my goal. I earn lots of extra calories through exercise but I haven't used them. I usually stay right at 1200 maybe 1100 calories a day of healthy food. I'm so frustrated!!! What am I doing wrong?!

You are doing nothing wrong, one pound is one pound less than you were last week.

How much do you expect to lose each week, out of interest?
    I would be happy with a 2 pound weight loss per week.
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    Expecting Biggest Loser type loses when you live in reality. 1 pound a week is fantastic.

THIS!!

And I know someone said you're gaining muscle, but if you're eating that little....that's VERY unlikely...

I am gaining muscle. I can see it. It amazes me! and makes me happy. my legs have really nice definition and my biceps are getting there. my triceps...no so much!! ugh! and i can see muscle in my belly and back and shoulder. So yes, i am gaining muscle. :)
  • Wefita
    Wefita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body is used to all the exercise. Every time I hit a plateau, I completely change my exercise routine. It's almost like you have to trick your body. Push harder. If it's easy, its time to change it up :)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Without fully intending to I began calorie cycling.
    I eat close to 1200 sometimes ..
    but my avg is about 1380 daily
    with my higher days bringing it there. Idk why but
    my body loses better when it isn't always the same.
    I do stay under and exercise. Have you tried playing
    with your numbers a tad?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have been here 20 days and haven't lost a pound either...but I have lost 8 3/4 inches in total in those 20 days.

I don't go by the scale I go by the fact on May 21st I bought size 10 jeans and they are now too big...

But if you are hell bent on loosing weight and weight only stop exercising and eat 1200 calories. It will fall off.

I personally wont be going that route but I don't care about a scale either.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated with the scale!!!! I only lost 1 pound last week! I know, I know its a loss but 1 pound?! ugh!!! I stick to my 1200 calories and I work out hard every day! Its not like I don't have the weight to lose. I have lost 47 pounds and have at least another 35 pounds to my goal. I earn lots of extra calories through exercise but I haven't used them. I usually stay right at 1200 maybe 1100 calories a day of healthy food. I'm so frustrated!!! What am I doing wrong?!

You are doing nothing wrong, one pound is one pound less than you were last week.

How much do you expect to lose each week, out of interest?
    I would be happy with a 2 pound weight loss per week.

You didn't put on two pounds of fat a week, why would you possibly expect to lose it that fast?

Losing 2 lbs a week is extremely aggressive; in the long run, unrealistically so. Most doctors don't recommend losing more than that, that's your MAX. It's possible to lose that much at first (you say you already lost what, like 45 lbs?) but weight loss naturally slows as you near your goal. One pound a week is more than perfectly reasonable, in fact it's awesome.

What's the big rush? You don't have some fitness competition you're showing in in 6 weeks, do you? No? Then pace yourself, and celebrate every victory instead of mourning that it wasn't bigger.
  • tinamarie014069
    Options
    I'm confused on all of this. People are always saying that you need to eat more than 1200 calories\day, but every calulation I have used tells me that I am only supposed to eat as much as 1200\ day..... and yet I don't lose any weight...I am with you on being frustrated
    Either your goals are too aggressive or you are not factoring in exercise. Fueling the body > starving the body. What are your stats (height, weight, age, exercise routine) and we can run the numbers for you. Also, how accurately are you tracking calories, do you weigh and measure foods?
    I only put in to lose 2 pounds a week. I am 5'5' tall and 44 years old. I do some form of exercies every day. whether it be walking 3.5 miles or going to the gym and running sometimes only a mile and sometimes 2 or 3 miles. If i only run a mile then i usually do the elliptical for 20-30 minutes. I also so some weights for my legs and arms and abs. I am on my feet most of the day for work, Im a teacher in a toddler classroom (2 year olds are the best lol).
  • ALittleSwanny
    ALittleSwanny Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Maybe this has been said before in other comments but have you worked out your BMR to see how many calories your body needs for minimal function? You could be eating too little causing your body to become a fat storer rather than a fat burner.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm confused on all of this. People are always saying that you need to eat more than 1200 calories\day, but every calulation I have used tells me that I am only supposed to eat as much as 1200\ day..... and yet I don't lose any weight...I am with you on being frustrated
    Either your goals are too aggressive or you are not factoring in exercise. Fueling the body > starving the body. What are your stats (height, weight, age, exercise routine) and we can run the numbers for you. Also, how accurately are you tracking calories, do you weigh and measure foods?
    I only put in to lose 2 pounds a week. I am 5'5' tall and 44 years old. I do some form of exercies every day. whether it be walking 3.5 miles or going to the gym and running sometimes only a mile and sometimes 2 or 3 miles. If i only run a mile then i usually do the elliptical for 20-30 minutes. I also so some weights for my legs and arms and abs. I am on my feet most of the day for work, Im a teacher in a toddler classroom (2 year olds are the best lol).

How heavy are these weights? 2-5 pounders don't count. :) If you really want to see your body change drastically and in a good way, I'd suggest scaling back a little on the cardio and using that time working on some heavy lifting. Nothing will change your body more effectively.

Though I have to add, if you start lifting, you are going to HAVE to eat more than that pitiful little 1200/day. Your muscles won't thank you to be starved on TOP of being overworked. You'll burn out fast.
  • psuLemon
    Options

THIS!!

I am gaining muscle. I can see it. It amazes me! and makes me happy. my legs have really nice definition and my biceps are getting there. my triceps...no so much!! ugh! and i can see muscle in my belly and back and shoulder. So yes, i am gaining muscle. :)

Not to be a party pooper but there is zero chance that you actually gained muscle. What happened is you gained strength and lose fat to expose the muscle. It's extremely difficult to gain muscle, let alone do it on a calorie deficit.

But seriously, you need to start to eat more otherwise, you are just going to hurt your progress if you still want to exercise. If you don't want to eat more, just don't exercise.
  • tinamarie014069
    Options

How heavy are these weights? 2-5 pounders don't count. :) If you really want to see your body change drastically and in a good way, I'd suggest scaling back a little on the cardio and using that time working on some heavy lifting. Nothing will change your body more effectively.

Though I have to add, if you start lifting, you are going to HAVE to eat more than that pitiful little 1200/day. Your muscles won't thank you to be starved on TOP of being overworked. You'll burn out fast.
    I do anywhere between 40-50 pounds weights for arms (pec fly, pull down and bench press) I do 10 pounds for bicep curls. For my legs I do anywhere between 70-90. Is that heavy or no? I can do 3 reps of 12 at these weights. I've thought that maybe i will start rotating cardio days and strength training days. And try to shut my brain up when it tells me I'm not getting a workout if i dont do cardio. :)
  • tinamarie014069
    Options

THIS!!

Not to be a party pooper but there is zero chance that you actually gained muscle. What happened is you gained strength and lose fat to expose the muscle. It's extremely difficult to gain muscle, let alone do it on a calorie deficit.

But seriously, you need to start to eat more otherwise, you are just going to hurt your progress if you still want to exercise. If you don't want to eat more, just don't exercise.
    i am realizing that i do need to eat more. but im gonna disagree with you on the muscle thing. I know I've gained muscle. I feel it and see it. Maybe not as much as i would if i would eat more but its definatly there where there was just flab before. thanks though for your advice. i appreciate any and all help. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

THIS!!

i am realizing that i do need to eat more. but im gonna disagree with you on the muscle thing. I know I've gained muscle. I feel it and see it. Maybe not as much as i would if i would eat more but its definatly there where there was just flab before. thanks though for your advice. i appreciate any and all help. :)

You can believe what you want, but the ability to gain new lean body mass is virtually impossible while on a deficit (especially for woman who can barely gain 1lb of muscle a week on a surplus). A deficit does not provide enough energy to create new matter and since you are not morbidly obese, you probably are confusing the fact that you got more lean and stronger with gaining new muscle. Essentially, your muscles are more efficient now and have less fat on top.

Additionally, since you aren't even getting 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, there is a greater chance (even with a weight training routine) that you will lose lean body mass. This is one area I would also improve in your diet. Take 70-80% of your weight and that shoudl be the number of grams in protein you should aim for per day. This along with protein will help minimize lean body mass loss.
  • bhealthyagain
    bhealthyagain Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I believe it's a combination of setting up your goals to be too aggressive. Based on harris benedict, your estimated BMR is around 1528. Take in the fact, that you are lightly active because you are active with kids, without exercise, you would be around 2100 calories in a day. So if you selected 2 lbs per week, it would try to subtract 1000 calories with the stipulation that you can not go lower than 1200 calories. With that said, do you have your account set at lightly active and lightly active? Also, when you exercise you burn more calories so you need to eat more.

Personally, I would suggest your base calories should be around 1700 calories since you really don't have that much more to lose, so you can't expect huge losses at this point. Also, when exercise I would suggest eating an additional 200 calories or you should set your calories at 1800 calories daily and not worry about eating back exercise calories. When you exercise, you burn more calories and your body requires more fuel.

Ok thanks for the help! I will give it a try!! And my account is set to lightly active, still 1200 cals\day.