Anyone else afraid to get rid of their fat clothes?

Options
I am swimming in most of my clothes now. Sometimes I feel like I have not lost alot of weight..(28lbs) but then I put on a shirt I wore 5 months ago, that was tight and its so loose! I bought all brand new bras before I lost weight and my sisters are swimming in them now. I am so afraid to ditch the old clothes and so afraid of buying any that fit me. I sometimes have such low confidence that I am going to continue the journey, but on the other hand, I feel that it is motivation for me to continue!! Am I the only one with this crazy thought! lol.. It is a constant battle. I think I will hold off on buying new clothes till my GW and being there for 6 weeks...

Replies

• mss501
    mss501 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel the same way! It's mostly a matter of finances, and I don't want to invest in a new wardrobe as long as I'm still losing weight. However, I do believe minor investments along the way (a dress that'll still fit -10 pounds later, etc). Not only do they make my weight loss feel more "real", they also motivate me to continue working towards my GW. Even if you don't purchase anything, going into shops and trying on clothes itself can be a major ego-boost, especially when you realize you're browsing through smaller sizes than you used to, or when you try on something that looks surprisingly great on you. An innocent trip to the mall resulted in me purchasing a dress for a wedding several months down the road. Conscious of the weight I still have to lose (10+ pounds), I bought a size that's a bit tight in anticipation of future weight loss. At the same time, seeing myself in something I'd be unlikely to buy prior to my weight loss, I felt a newfound confidence and desire to continue.

I believe fat clothes should be phased out piece by piece, just like we slim down pound by pound. C;
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The problem is if you are already swimming in your clothes then by the time you reach goal and have been there for 6 weeks you won't be able to keep them up!

My attitude is that I am doing this to feel better about myself, and I am definately not going to feel better if the butt is sagging out of my jeans and I'm constantly having to hitch things up and my bras don't fit. But at the same time our budget is tight. The way around this is to shop in Op shops. Buy CHEAP clothes that will flatter for the time being and DITCH your fat clothes because then you HAVE to keep going. You are seeing results to celebrate them. I found a bargain (new not 2nd hand) bra for $6.50 in one of the big brand stores the other day. No it isn't fancy or pretty it is just a plain cotton t-shirt bra but for now it makes me feel better because it doesn't ride up at the back and the girls are held in place properly. I also stocked up on basic t-shirts for $2 each which was a bargain because it is winter here and so no one is buying tshirts and they were last seasons colours (which happen to suit me very well!).

That said once I reach goal which is a size for me rather than a weight I will be going out and buying a few good pieces regularly so that I end up with a great wardrobe.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm on a tight budget, so I do a combination of things. I just went down a size and I definitely wanted to get some new clothes so I bought a few pieces (from Joe Fresh) all in one lovely summer colour and then I mix and match them together to make all the outfits I need. I don't work in an office so what works for me are : coloured sweat pants, loose knit pop top to match, polished cotton jeans, voile tee, and matching nice hoodie. All the pieces go together and since they're a beautiful deep cerulean blue also go well with jeans. I also shop in second hand stores for quality brands for peanuts. Then there's the best option of all if you're like me and first gained weight and then dropped it--shopping in your own closet for all the stuff you had grown out of ! :)
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I bought new work pants, and a couple of exercise shorts (the ones I was wearing before, kept slipping past my butt!) And, I got a few other pieces, here and there...

However... I am NOT getting rid of my pants and shorts, from when I was at my highest weight!!!

Not because I'm scared to go back, but because, when I make it to my goal weight, I want to take the ultimate pictures of me in my "FAT PANTS"

That will be one of the greatest rewards! :bigsmile:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,664 Member
    Options
    I've been getting my suits for work altered at the local tailors.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I got rid of all of mine because I know that I am never going to fit back into them. I sold them all on eBay to make room for clothes that make me feel confident, sexy and awesome. I made about £1000, just because I had so many of them too. :laugh:
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I spent this week shopping for new clothes and my wardrobe is now full of pretty things I love - but I vacuum bagged my bigger sizes and put them in top of wardrobe.

So yes I got scared of donating them but I think it's because I am worried I will put it all back on and need them again - god I hope not even if there is some nice stuff in there!!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in a spare suitcase, I know i should get rid of them but I just cant seem to do it, ive bounced back to being fat before and im determined not too this time, but still cant get rid.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've burnt me bra.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a comparison piece or two, i am more afraid to NOT get rid of them...I have kept them in the past...as the weight came back, i crept down to the basement and started hauling them back out...wearing them...pretty soon, guess what is in a bag in the basement?!

I learned the hard way, for me, it is better to get rid of them. If the replacements get tight, I have two choices: 1. kick my own *kitten* back into gear. 2) re-buy fat clothes. You can bet it will be #1!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Nope - I kept 1 skirt & 1 pair of trousers as a reminder of how far I have come and as soon as I shrank out of one size and into another, I sent the now too big clothes to the charity shop. No backsliding allowed!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've burnt me bra.

< win.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am donating any clothes to Good Will. That way if I start gaining, if I have them, I will just bring them out, instead of evaluating why I am getting bigger again and making the necessary steps to Change.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have kept 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of work trousers which at my biggest were so tight!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I put them in a box for now. But I'm really awful at taking time to get rid of clothes (I have a closet full of clothes my kids have outgrown). I definitely don't fit in the pants and shorts anymore. I still wear the shirts. I still have big breasts so they really don't look that bad, and I'm not ready for more fitting clothes yet anyway. I've bought the strict minimum to keep me going... some bras, three shorts, one pair of light pants, and some underwear last week. I'm thinking the underwear will still fit in 26 lbs, the rest will probably be too loose, except maybe the pants. I'm holding off buying jeans for as long as I can, considering I won't need them until at least September.
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    just donated mine :) fortunately, i had kept my "skinny" clothes so i have plenty of things to wear... its like seeing old friends. but yes, i did get rid of the bigger clothes, bad luck to have them around.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one!! I am keeping som e of my pants that were snug on me..cause I want to put them on one day and have them slip down to my ankles.. As it is right now, if I do wear some pants that I could fit tightly into before I have to wear the smallest belt I have (which I could even get one notch into) and its down about to notch 5 now! I love it..but scared at the same time! :) lol
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I buy Goodwill pieces in my current size, and donate a few items in my previous size. I still have some of my larger pants for comparison sizing. Circle of life baby, hopefully the between-sizing pieces go back to being donated soon. I also bought a couple of dress suits (secondhand) that were much too small for me as a goal. They now fit perfectly. Time to buy some even smaller things for my next goal.

When I reach my overall goal size, everything too big will leave my home. With the exception of some t-shirts; I started running 5ks at a much larger size, and I love looking at my 5K t-shirt collection and seeing how big I was, and progressively how much smaller I've gotten.
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have had to get rid of basically all of my clothes and buy a whole new wardrobe! Yep, it's been pretty expensive but it had to happen. I didn't want to keep all the too big clothes around because I don't ever want to be wearing that size again! What a great feeling!!!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I donated all my old clothes to a friend and to goodwill. I also buy a lot of my clothes at Target, but I never spend more than $4 on an item of clothing on the clearance rack. I set a limit per item of clothing and stay within it. I also buy a lot of clothes at Goodwill and Playto's Closet. Unfortunately, I am only now getting into the sizes that Plato's offers (size 12) but their shorts are so short I don't know if I can do it.

I would say try second hand shops and thrift stores while in your "during" stages.