Cant eat enough calories in a day!!!!

Options

Replies

• PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a tall glass of milk!!!

What is hard about that?

Oh my word! I don't eat bread, peanut butter and can't have milk. This would be my worst nightmare :)

However I can only reiterate what everyone else says here - that firstly that daily calorie burn does seem really high and is probably being over generous. Also I used to have trouble eating 1200 when I lived on salads but stick in an avocado, and egg, some seeds and nuts and it all adds up really quickly!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Honestly, I think your HRM is overestimating your burn (for both workouts) by at least 100 calories.
    If you aren't hungry and eating a well balanced diet, I woudn't obsess about the numbers.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hard cardio can drop my appetite. My suggestion would be to eat more in the day BEFORE you workout, if at all possible.
  • Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bummed..... Looks like i have wasted my money on a Polar HRM :sad:

Which HRM's do you guys use and trust?
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

I need some help here.....i just cant seem to find enough calories to eat in a day, im trying to eat back exercise calories and almost every day i burn almost 900 calories from Zumba and 30DS and i have no idea what to eat back as its too much food for me.

I also didnt want to start eating junk just to make up calories.

Anyone else experienced this and have any solutions?

Thanks!!!

no solutions. I have just NEVER had this problem. Wish i could borrow calories from you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I guess that's why you're naturally skinny
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree the Nut family groups and pastas and other carbs can add up quick.. i was having the same trouble... you should look into the ceiling effect.. it makes some good points.. if you dont want to eat more workout less.. I was having trouble getting 1,500 cals well yesterday i got a lil over 3,000 cals so its possible :). good luck!
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I find it incredible that some people can barely bring themselves to eat 1500 calories, but others such as myself could probably get well towards 6000 calories and not be too bothered, just feel satisfied!
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    I guess that's why you're naturally skinny

Naturally skinny? Me? :laugh:
  • MrsKerryParkin
    MrsKerryParkin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Is it better to eat calories lost from exercise or not when aiming for weight loss?
  • johnnlinda
    johnnlinda Posts: 69
    Options
    I burn a good amount of calories also, going by my HRM. I spend a little over 2 hours in the gym and burn between 700 and 1200 depending on what I am doing. I normally take off between 100 & 200 calories, just to be on the safe side. I love my hrm! It keeps me in check.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't like protein shakes!

Blasphemy.

I actually laughed out loud. :laugh:
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    this ^ I eat 3500-4000 calories a day, it's not that hard
    Some days while bulking I feel hungry on 3500+ calories a day, people who feel full on tiny amounts are kidding themselves except extreme circumstances.
    It's not always tiny amounts - sometimes it's just really clean eating in a day and not adding in enough fats. I've been suprised in my logging at how many days I am under calorie goals.
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    I find it incredible that some people can barely bring themselves to eat 1500 calories, but others such as myself could probably get well towards 6000 calories and not be too bothered, just feel satisfied!

Now we need to differentiate here! If we are talking fast food and "unhealthy" foods, i can go to 3000 upwards, but when it comes to healthy balanced diets, i just cant do it, to me, if food tastes great i can eat more, but if im not really enjoying it, i tend to eat just enough!
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    I burn a good amount of calories also, going by my HRM. I spend a little over 2 hours in the gym and burn between 700 and 1200 depending on what I am doing. I normally take off between 100 & 200 calories, just to be on the safe side. I love my hrm! It keeps me in check.

Used to love mine but lots of people saying that it must be off.
  • randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think they were assuming you were basing your calorie burn from MFP. Not sure they realized you were already using an HRM. I just got my first HRM and used it last night. I have the Polar FT4. After doing DS30, my HRM said I burned 163 calories, whereas, MFP was telling me 359.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Poor you. You can't eat enough calories. Must be terrible. :)

You don't have to eat junk, but a little more fat content will get you calories quickly. Fat is the most calorie dense of the macros.

Or, if you feel like you are stuffing yourself, you could back off on the exercise a little bit. Most of your success in losing weight is based on your diet.
  • Need2lose456
    Options
    I think they were assuming you were basing your calorie burn from MFP. Not sure they realized you were already using an HRM. I just got my first HRM and used it last night. I have the Polar FT4. After doing DS30, my HRM said I burned 163 calories, whereas, MFP was telling me 359.

Hubby and i are both using the Polar FT4, i usually burn about 260 in a 30ds session, but last night i used his 6.6lb weights for some exercises and burnt 301 calories. He burns abt 430 calories in a session. MFP and Xbox Kinect both over estimate higher than that!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Hubby and i are both using the Polar FT4, i usually burn about 260 in a 30ds session, but last night i used his 6.6lb weights for some exercises and burnt 301 calories. He burns abt 430 calories in a session. MFP and Xbox Kinect both over estimate higher than that!

I have a Polar FT40 and have found it to be fairly accurate. Try wearing it while resting for an hour. Take the resting calories burned estimate and subtract that from whatever workout you do, because your resting burn is already taken into consideration for calorie counting purposes.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue only with TDEEs up between 4 and 5k. I didn't see your food diary, so there's not much data to work with. What I can share is a general approach I took that yielded some useful results.

The basic issue is not so much increasing calories; you can do that with junk food. (Turn me lose with a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies and I'll get 'er done fast.) Rather, it is how to increase your intake to fuel your workouts without abandoning healthy eating habits and do it in a sustainable way (not dieting).

I set out to increase my intake in a balanced way. What I did was to look at each meal I was eating and try to increase it by 15%. That entailed having a bit larger piece of omlette in the morning and having a slightly larger glass of milk, and so on. One of the things I realized is that certain vegetables don't scale well, lettuce for example, you gotta eat a LOT of it to double your calories. But okay, so you wind up eating a big plate of vegetables...that isn't bad. Still, I tried to stick as much to a healthy diet. I wound up adding in a bit of nuts as a snack and on heavy workout days (>200 minutes of cardio) ate a protein shake.

This is a more incremental approach, but it may be more sustainable given it is based on making slight tweaks to what you are already eating.