Tell me why? Only serious replies please.

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So what is the point of the forums? Yes, I could of just googled it but I put on the forums on a fitness site. I was hoping people would share information. But the forums do what they always do... get derailed and trolled for the most part.

I am not trying to be snarky... honest. But if you knew this then you would probably been better off just researching it. Most of the people here are just trying to lose weight and have little more scientific knowledge of the process than you. You would think you would trust your trainer's suggestion, but since you don't, it means you doubt his knowledge.

Do what you feel is best for you. All you will get are conflicting views. Good luck. :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I should have left it alone. Derail. Sorry.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. Certainly calories are relevant inside the body as well. Calories are a measurement of energy, but "nutrition" encompasses much more than just the energy part. However, when we are talking about weight loss/gain, the energy balance (calories in vs. out) is what determines that.

The composition of the food that makes up calories in will affect the variable calories out. So while the equation technically makes sense, it cannot be used reliably because you dont have complete control over the second variable.

Are you talking about thermic effects? If so, they're basically negligible, and totally negligible if you match macronutrient content.

I beg to differ on the "reliably" part. That's funny :laugh:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    But why even hit 1000? Even the HCG people hit 500. Come on, you can't let those HCG dieters show you up. I say go for 250/.day. You got this!

:laugh:
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

I don't want a flood of responses that tell me to eat more or to eat TDEE - 20%. I want to legitly know, with back up, what the problem is with me netting less then 1000 calories while trying to lose weight.
    REALLY?! You are asking for advice, but only the advice you want to hear, right?! OK gotcha. SOrry I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear. If you like you can look at the before pic of my side by side shot, and see why 1000 calories over time is an idiotic idea. You will stall at some point, and how much lower can you really go from there. Not to mention how easily you WILL gain it back. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/929824-its-been-over-a-year-since-my-hot-affair-began
  • JennaBlu
    JennaBlu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that I was netting under what I should be consuming until I started this app...this may be why I have been stuck around the weight I am at even though I am watching what I am eating and working out at least 5 days a week...(Zumba and Jillian's DVDs) You may drop fast but then your body is like woah...! I would be careful.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Before everybody jumps all over her, go back and really read what she wrote.

She doesn't EAT 1,000 calories a day, she NETs 1,000 a day a few days a week.

She EATS 1800 calories a day approximately.

She wants to do this for a short term to reduce BF.

She eats a nutritious diet for those 1800 calories.

I know most of the MFP community lives to eat rather than eats to live but before you condemn her for her question take a moment to really think about what she ask!

Beautifully put! Most people did not even read the post - just jumped on the bandwagon and ran with their little (scary little) tidbit of skewered knowledge.....

I eat according to the TDEE - 20% - if I keep track of my calories on MFP, I often NET around a 1000 calories - but I EAT between 1600 and 1900 cals of food per day....I'm healthy and slowly but surely losing the last 10 lbs of bf while keeping as much muscle as possible.....
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am actually serious people. I like food too. I eat more then 1000 calories everyday. I NET LESS then 1000. I aint doing it for life. I am doing it as temporary cut. Like cycling between cuts and bulks.

And as soon as you eat more or work out less, you will gain it back because you will have ruined your metabolism by eating so few calories, and you will have made your body get used to functioning on such low net calories.

Once you change your lifestyle, the weight will come back on. So, you either always net 1000 calories after ruining your metabolism or because you "ain't doing it for life," you'll gain it back. I learned the hardway with calorie cutting. Took me a LONG time to correct it.

Why not just lose it in a more healthy way that allows you to retain the weight loss? Hell...net even 1200-1300. You will still be getting in all your nutritions (if you eat healthy), and you will have enough energy. I used to eat at net 700-800 calories because I have such high calorie burns, and I never realized how crappy I really felt. I started upping my calories over the last year, and I now eat around 2300 calories a day and net 1500-1800 (depending on the work out for the day). I haven't gained any weight upping my calories intake and decreasing my calorie burn over the last YEAR (I now lift instead of focusing on cardio). Had I simply went from eating net 800 calories to eating net 1800, my body would have freaked out and I would have gained weight instead of metabolism endurance/health. The point is: it is either a lifestyle change or a change that will take you years to fix. You can't just hit it then quit it like that. You will have consequences.

I knew eating a VLCD ruins your metabolism but does eating a regular calorie diet but netting low ruining your metabolism? This is more or less my question. I just wanted the mfp to share any articles they have found in regards to the topic. Thanks for sharing your experience.

For the record, I don't plan on quiting lifting or quit watching what I eat - EVER so that part is for life. The cut or low netting is the only thing that will change in 5 weeks.
  • joleenl
    Options

I know most of the MFP community lives to eat rather than eats to live but before you condemn her for her question take a moment to really think about what she ask!

Beautifully put! Most people did not even read the post - just jumped on the bandwagon and ran with their little (scary little) tidbit of skewered knowledge.....

I eat according to the TDEE - 20% - if I keep track of my calories on MFP, I often NET around a 1000 calories - but I EAT between 1600 and 1900 cals of food per day....I'm healthy and slowly but surely losing the last 10 lbs of bf while keeping as much muscle as possible.....

Thank you. Now if MFP could share some research in regard to the effects of the low netting, I'd be set!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You keep saying you're doing a "bodybuilder cut", and if they do it, then it should be fine. From what I understand, their extreme cuts are very limited in time frame, and often what they do to their bodies is not particularly healthy (hello gorging on candy just before a show). Also, they alternate their cuts with bulks, which can help the body recover, but at 40% bf, I'm assuming you'd be skipping the bulk. Even though you may be increasing your calories, you'd still be in a deficit, and it may not allow for as much of a recovery as bodybuilders achieve during a bulk.

That said, when you eat a constant amount regardless of workout that you've done, you often end up "netting too low". Now, it sounds like you're varying what you're eating each day, but you won't consistently be netting less than 1000 by design (I think you said only 4 out of 7 days). 1800 is not a small number of calories, and you may be over estimating your burns. So, I say start there. If before the end of the five weeks you're finding you're dragging *kitten* and can't keep up with your schedule or are angry/irritable all the time, try bumping up the calories. If it works for you great, but beware of small gains you might see when upping your calories again (as your glycogen stores are replenished). Those should be relatively short term though.
  • joleenl
    Options
    I have worked with an amazing body builder nutritionist in the past and ended up feeling sadly betrayed. Beware that a body builder might not know what someone with a weight problem goes through. People who have never had a weight problem have different body responses to food.
    Your calories seem way to low to me. Unless you are super human and unlike most who extreme diet, you will gain it back. Calories in and calories out is not true. You might learn something from this BBC documentary

10 Things You Need to know about Weight loss---

http://www.4shared.com/video/b0q_qDEj/10_things_you_need_to_know_abo.htm

Thanks for the link. I will be looking at later.
  • joleenl
    Options
    Thanks for all the serious replies and to the people who have shared their experiences. I appreciate your concern over the extreme dieting. I am not an advocate for it. I do not have an eating disorder. I will close monitor my stats and take in to account all of your warnings if I decide to proceed with this.

I agree with all of you that said healthy weight loss should be slow and sustainable. I also agree with all of you that said it there is no rush and take it slow. I have lost my first 35 pounds doing it this way and during that time I have learned life skills that will help me keep it off. Lifting and maintaining a healthly for life diet are part of my life goals.

I just wanted to maximize my results while I have a trainer to drive me and push me to the limits is all. I just want to know if anyone had any articles or links to research done on netting low.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Thank you. Now if MFP could share some research in regard to the effects of the low netting, I'd be set!

You keep asking for research but most are just going to google search and read through the studies, articles, etc. Try googling and finding your own answers on the loads of articles, peer reviewed studies, blogs, etc.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    We are trying to rapidly bring down my 40% BF.

Why? Did you rapidly get to 40% BF somehow?

Change takes time. Permanent change takes time and and a lifestyle that you can live with long term. You left that out of your numbered list.

I just saw you posted something about 5 weeks. Whats going on in 5 weeks?

ETA: Okay, I saw you had your trainer for just another 5 weeks. You should be fine. Just keep doing what you are doing, it looks like you are more than 1/2 way past your goal. Keep it up!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Read this:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=415

It's not specifically about "low netting" as opposed to why dieting (all dieting in reality but the effects are more severe the steeper the deficit) creates issues for long term weight maintenance.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I should have left it alone. Derail. Sorry.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. Certainly calories are relevant inside the body as well. Calories are a measurement of energy, but "nutrition" encompasses much more than just the energy part. However, when we are talking about weight loss/gain, the energy balance (calories in vs. out) is what determines that.

The composition of the food that makes up calories in will affect the variable calories out. So while the equation technically makes sense, it cannot be used reliably because you dont have complete control over the second variable.

Are you talking about thermic effects? If so, they're basically negligible, and totally negligible if you match macronutrient content.

I beg to differ on the "reliably" part. That's funny :laugh:

Im not talking about the thermic effects, I'm talking about the metabolic effects. I should have also said that both the composition and the amount of calories you input will affect output.

And by reliably I mean I can eat X calories and workout to burn Y calories and add my BMR which is Z calories and figure out exactly how much weight I will lose/gain. You can't do this.

You can reliably use it to lose or gain some weight, but you cant reliably determine exactly how much because the variables change inside your body and thus out of your control.

See this guys experiment

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

If you could reliably (under the terms I just gave) use that formula he should have put on a lot more weight than he did.

EDIT apologies for jacking your thread OP
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    As long as you eat your BMR then it doesn't matter what you NET. You can NET negative calories if you really feel the need to. (Though I wouldn't recommend it)

What is important is FUELING YOUR WORKOUTS. If you don't eat enough, you won't lose fat, you'll lose muscle.

Since you are eating about 1800 calories a day (MORE than your BMR) you are JUST fine.

Don't let people who have no idea what they are talking about other than knowing that they have to eat food.

Just make sure that you always consume at least your BMR so that your body doesn't begin to shut down.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You can reliably use it to lose or gain some weight, but you cant reliably determine exactly how much because the variables change inside your body and thus out of your control.

See this guys experiment

If you could reliably (under the terms I just gave) use that formula he should have put on a lot more weight than he did.

lol at your use of the word "experiment"
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

See this guys experiment

Well a good follow up would have been do do another 21 days with a high carb diet. Then compare the results and see if he gains significantly more weight. Maybe his intestines are short and just move what he eats out of his bowels at such a rapid pace he cant absorb all the cals? :tongue:
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options

See this guys experiment

Well a good follow up would have been do do another 21 days with a high carb diet. Then compare the results and see if he gains significantly more weight. Maybe his intestines are short and just move what he eats out of his bowels at such a rapid pace he cant absorb all the cals? :tongue:

He is actually planning on doing that! So it will be really interesting to compare results.

It still stands that in this situation, for this guy, the equation did not work accurately for him which suggest there is a limitation somewhere.
  • joleenl
    Options

You keep asking for research but most are just going to google search and read through the studies, articles, etc. Try googling and finding your own answers on the loads of articles, peer reviewed studies, blogs, etc.

Correct I could've used google. I guess I should've.

I guess I was wrong when I thought people on a fitness forum would care to have a discussion about "Netting low calories" and provide a reason or research on how or why they came to that conclusion.