0 calorie pasta any good? Shirataki “Miracle Noodle” pas

Options

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I only eat pasta less than once a month. Plus, I'm not a big pasta fan.
    Then why bother with the fake noodles? Just eat regular pasta.

They're not actually "fake". They are either made from tofu or a plant fiber (konnyaku). They help regular blood sugar as well. Regular pasta is not good especially for diabetics and/or folks watching their carb intake.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    made me vomit...the texture just threw me over the edge lol....i had bought a box of 10 packets and really wanted to like them but nope....the dogs wouldnt even touch them.......and they are labradors lol! the bucket enjoyed them tho lol!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    They've got no business going in anything Italian... BUT there are Japanese dishes that call for this stuff and not as a substitute for something else, and in those they taste right.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use them (my store has the House Foods brand) a couple of times a month. I rinse them thoroughly in warm water and drain them very well (on paper towels) and then toss them in a frying pan with some PAM; they are fine to me. I have never tried boiling them like pasta or anything.

They are indeed very rubbery, but that doesn't really bother me (my husband won't touch them though). I add some sauteed veggies and a protein (usually chicken sausage) and a little pamesan or goat cheese. Gives me a good filling lunch without going overboard on calories.

These things are definitely polarizing on the threads. There's been a ton of posts for recipes using them though if you search.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Buy a spaghetti squash, cut it in half, scoop out the guts, lightly season, place in a baking dish with 2 inches of water and bake at 375 for 2 hours. After a fork can pierce it, scrape from top end to bottom end with a fork, shredding the squash. BAM! Instant low calorie pasta. I have had a lot of alternatives to low calorie pasta, gluten free, etc and they pretty much all suck. Go for whole wheat fiber pasta or the spaghetti squash.
  • claireellenhansen
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who is trying to lower my carb intake. I wanted to love them. I really did. But, I hate them. I did everything people suggested (rinse, pat dry, rinse again, pat dry, pair with a flavorful sauce, etc.) and they were still really, really gross. The texture is stomach-turning (and I don't normally mind chewy things). The smell, even after multiple rinses, was hideous. I tried. They failed.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've used NoOodles brand. The smell right out of the bag is horrendous. Rinse them very, very, VERY well. I then saute them a bit to "burn off" some of the stuff they're stored in, but the good part is they take on whatever flavor you "cover" them with. I love pasta, and these somehow manage to be ok.
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use No Yolks pasta and I love it!

1cup is:

133 calories
    27g carbs
    1g fat
    5g protein

I just had some with tuna, egg and mayo!! It was delish and under 400 calories!!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I recently bought some out of curiosity and... I'm scared to try them. They're still in my pantry. >.<

I don't want to eat fishy rubber earthworms! D:
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The one i got was like 15 calories a serving so the whole pack was 30. I think they are good.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tied these noodles? Did you like the taste, did you have any side effects?

I want to order these to see what 0 calorie noodles taste like plus the obvious perk of being able to eat pasta for no calories; actually its 6-8 calories per 100g but at such a low number legally they don’t have to disclose that.

I am however slightly concerned with ordering food from an overseas country – am I silly thinking this? I come from the most diverse country and city for that matter on earth (yea Torona area Canada – happy Canada Day tomorrow everyone!) but just because it’s sold in stores (most notably asian grocery stores) doesn’t necessarily mean Health Canada got their hands on it first to review it.

These noodles are called Shirataki but marketed as Miracle Noodle (one brand name) are 97% water and 3% fiber which comes from glucomannan. This is not a fiber source well known to North American diets but so far research has shown that is has acted like most fibers; it fills you up which may lead to weight loss plus studies have shown a reduction in bad cholesterol and people with thyroid conditions have even experienced good results. The only side effects known so far are gas and diarrhea but they say that usually only occurs with high doses therefore only eat one meal a day of these noodles before gradually increasing (I would never eat more than one meal a day but I can see how some dieters go too far living off of 0-calorie food)

Thanks for your opinions!

I've never heard of this, but seems very processed. With any food, the more processed = the worse it is for you. The facts may look good on paper, but when is the paper ever the important part? Never.
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    They are HORRIBLE! Not only do they smell. The texture is very weird. I couldn't get one bite down and I am not a picky eater. Save your money.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didnt cook it right but the one and only time I did...it smelled like *kitten* and tasted like *kitten*..

never again.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Get your Skinny dip Shiritaki Noodles here: http://zerocalorienoodles.ch/ . SKINNYDIP NOODLES the good Quality , Excellent Value , Better tasting Shrititake Noodle!! - European orders only. US orders www.Skinnydipnoodles.com

you brought back to life a 3 year old thread? :noway:

2007569-shaun_of_the_dead_zombies.jpg
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Buy a spaghetti squash, cut it in half, scoop out the guts, lightly season, place in a baking dish with 2 inches of water and bake at 375 for 2 hours. After a fork can pierce it, scrape from top end to bottom end with a fork, shredding the squash. BAM! Instant low calorie pasta. I have had a lot of alternatives to low calorie pasta, gluten free, etc and they pretty much all suck. Go for whole wheat fiber pasta or the spaghetti squash.

This! Or buy a Zoodler to make zucchini noodles! I bought this one on Amazon and love it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some recommend salting, rinsing, and drying to get out as much liquid as possible before cooking for more of a pasta consistency otherwise they can get mushy if you cook them too long. I just heated EVOO with garlic and added the zoodles with pesto and tossed until the texture was the way like it. Yum! And I was able to twirl it like spaghetti! ;-)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

And the person that said just eat pasta, especially wheat, is wrong. Just sayin'.

LOL
  • AnneSoCal
    AnneSoCal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The original post was 3 years ago....someone trying to sell something reposted it, how annoying.
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat them regularly and I do not think they are gross. When you open them, they are in water and they do have a fish-smell but I always put mine in a strainer and run water over them. The noodles are like tofu in that they will take the flavor of whatever you cook with it. I like to boil the noodles, brown chicken and fresh veggies to serve over them. Since they are zero calories and zero carbs, I also do not feel guilty using my favorite spaghetti sauces over them.

They are great and make a nice addition to any meal in my opinion.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have tried both the spaghetti kind and the macaroni. I found the macaroni to be better. They both are rubbery - rinsed (forever lol) then sauteed in pam or ICBINB until semi dry. I then top with LOTS of sauteed veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, peppers,tomatoes) spaghetti sauce and turkey burger.

They are not pasta and you have to remove that thought before trying or you will be sadly disappointed. If you go in with an open mind and load them with flavorful things..you will be ok. They are not my favorite item but they do when i am craving a pasta dinner.

My husband who usually frowns with new things - ate them. He said "they were ok" again not his fave thing either but if made right are edible.

Do not boil them or cook in a manner like you would with pasta! Sauteing them is the way to go
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    nm....didn't realize this was a zombie thread