Diet to reduce anxiety?

Options
Nelson081
Nelson081 Posts: 27 Member
Hey. Im new here and am looking for anybody who has dealt with anxiety in anyway. Im hoping that if I start working out and eating better my anxiety will lessen or hopefully be gone for good. Does anybody have experience with this and have some good tips and maybe a diet plan. Im 21, 6'' and weigh 220. My goal is to drop down to 180, but most of all my biggest concern is removing the anxiety. Any tips, diet plans or even workouts that possibly focus on anxiety would be immensly appreciated. Thanks and best of luck to you all on MFP.

Replies

• erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Stand for two minutes looking into a mirrow with your hands above your head in the 'victory' pose. This has been proven to raise Testosterone and lower cortisol with both will help. Alternative you can use is the 'wonder women' post.

Next, eat whole grains. The low carb fad has deprived a lot of people of the benefits of whole grains (which are carbs -- often called 'complex carbs). Not only are they high in dietary fiber which is very good for you (men need ~38g a day, women ~25g) but they have proven to balance hormones.

Walk walk walk walk walk -- walking does a few things: one it is good exercise (so says the former body builder who has walked over 500 miles in the last 8 months) and works the whole body, two it gets you more vitamin D since you're out in the sun, and 3 it has been shown to reduce stress and finally: it helps you lose weight and get in shape :)

Take Vit D - up to 5000iu's a day has done wonders for some people. You can also take the B vits and I think E helps too.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a mental health disorder that includes overwhelming anxiety at times, to where I can't even leave the house. Diet and exercise do help. (I also take medication but I find it works much better when I'm working on being physically healthy as well.)

I don't know the science of it, but foods with protein help make me feel calmer. Maybe because it fills you up more. Eggs, chicken, beans. When I include those regularly into my diet, life gets a little easier.

I also generally focus on home workouts. (I do use my apartment complex's gym, but only at times when I know it won't be crowded.) Not having to get dressed, drive, deal with strangers and loud music that's out of my control helps ALOT. I use Youtube videos.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I don't know the science of it, but foods with protein help make me feel calmer. Maybe because it fills you up more. Eggs, chicken, beans. When I include those regularly into my diet, life gets a little easier.

This, at least, is true. Protein deficiency in one's diet can be a cause of anxiety and depression.

Failing that, try a diet of diazepam.
  • pbrenn
    pbrenn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found that once I started running my anxiety and stress started to lessen making me feel like a much normal person. Something about setting a good pace and the rhythm of it is calming.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Making sure you get enough magnesium and that it's fairly balanced with calcium and phosphorus can help if your diet is "not balanced". You should get C:P:Mg in about a 2:1:1 ratio. You can easily supplement MG if you think you are low.

I found a list of foods rich in Mg here <http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-magnesium.php&gt;
    (so if you already eat "lots" of the foods on that list, you're probably not deficient)

Excess Mg generally has a laxative effect.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety/panic disorder. I don't need a diet plan or anything, I just find working out (especially cardio) helps me as well as the feeling of control I get by eating clean. In fact, the start of my journey began at a time where I was severely in a life-rut because of anxiety/depression. These days I feel entirely normal, and I credit it all to a new healthy lifestyle.

I have a lot more little tips, but I just thought I'd share my experience in hopes it inspires you and lets you know you can do it.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that you are not alone. As odd as it may sound, working out at too high of an intensity for me makes me faint. My anxiety starts going bad. So, work out at a pace you are comfortable with. I am a Christian so I try to lean on God when I'm overly-anxious. I worry about everything so I can say He does help me be at peace.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I don't have any other suggestions but just wanted to say that I'm impressed that you are courageous enough to step and ask for help. Praying you are able to work through your aniexty in a healthy, lasting way. :smile:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Exercise absolutely has made a difference for me in burning off extra energy and anxiety.

I was to the point of having panic attacks several years ago.

I would only recommend medication as a short term tool as you learn how to effectively deal with your feelings.

The book "Telling Yourself the Truth " by Backus and Chapin was pivotal for me.
    http://books.google.com/books/about/Telling_Yourself_the_Truth.html?id=dQ5GU4p1UKwC

Along with exercise, I take a super vitamin B complex and limit my intake of caffeine, as well as the common sense advice of healthy diet, getting enough sleep, limiting stress etc.

I am also a Christian a find my faith and prayer to be the greatest help in overcoming anxiety.
  • CrimsonHolly
    Options
    Dealt with anxiety my entire life. I find that exercise definitely helps. Also since starting a more natural diet (i.e. avoiding additives, lots o' veggies) my anxiety has been better. I'm a calmer and less depressed.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Along with exercise, I take a super vitamin B complex and limit my intake of caffeine, as well as the common sense advice of healthy diet, getting enough sleep, limiting stress etc.

This is exactly what your doctor will tell you. Anxiety IS curable for many people. Part of the cure is acknowledging that you HAVE it, which you have done. Next is reducing stressors / triggers as much as you can, as quickly as you can....even if this means drastically changing your life. Make NO mistake, anxiety can and WILL kill you. Panic attacks are no joke and they can happen to the best of us given the right circumstances. Once you HAVE panic attacks, it's even harder to reverse the cycle because your body does NOT recognize that there really is NO threat, even if your brains is SCREAMING that you're fine.

One trick I learned through my own research, professionally and personally, (I have, arguably one of the highest stress jobs in the world) is that your brain is completely UNABLE to process more than one emotion at a time. You can be happy. You can be sad. You can NOT be happy/sad...AT THE SAME TIME. You can be happy, then sad just moments later, but NOT BOTH at the same time. Because of this "weakness" you can break your anxiety / panic.

For me, it was anger that broke it. I had overwhelming stress going on at work and home, coupled with money issues and a deployed spouse....it was a cyclone of badness that made my usual unflappable psyche, break, for the first time in over 40 years. No prior history of depression, anxiety, etc. One day, fine...next day, in an ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack. It took 4 months, medication, and my eventual breakthrough about the emotions that broke it.....completely. I just started getting PISSED every time I felt my neck & throat tightening up. I mean really, truly pissed. ie: "I WILL NOT DO THIS!". I would just keep repeating that in my head and the feelings would start to fade. That, and I started exercising, like others mentioned. Your body creates endogenous endorphins (feel good hormones) that will "calm your nerves". Like anger, when exercising, your body can't concentrate on both. Just know that a racing heartbeat can trick an anxious mind into a panic attack, so just be ready to talk yourself down if that occurs (it did to me initially, and a couple others have mentioned this in posts above).

Good luck....you are certainly not alone. :drinker:
  • Mellzicious
    Options
    I tried to use natural methods to treat my anxiety up until about 2 years ago (I'm 29). Depending on how severe your anxiety is, diet and exercise can help. But nothing compares to the right medication. I recommend going to a psych, it changed my life.
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    At least 30min of strenuous exercise performed at least 4 x a week has been recently proven more effective both immediately and long-term than prescription anticancer medications.
    **NOT "ANTICANCER"....ANTIANXIETY. (stupid autocorrect)**
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hey. Im new here and am looking for anybody who has dealt with anxiety in anyway. Im hoping that if I start working out and eating better my anxiety will lessen or hopefully be gone for good. Does anybody have experience with this and have some good tips and maybe a diet plan. Im 21, 6'' and weigh 220. My goal is to drop down to 180, but most of all my biggest concern is removing the anxiety. Any tips, diet plans or even workouts that possibly focus on anxiety would be immensly appreciated. Thanks and best of luck to you all on MFP.

eliminate caffeine and nicotine. you may have to cut out green tea as well (known to cause anxiety in some people). eat more carbs and do more cardio.
  • Nelson081
    Nelson081 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I stopped drinking coffee for the most part and have started drinking camolmeal (sp) tea. I have been working out regular and eating better the past 2 weeks and have seen some minor improvement, I still get ancy at times. I also have 1mg tablets of adavane which I try to avoid using and havent used in almost 3 weeks. I have had 4 severe panic attacks, 2 sending me to the er, but none in over a month and a half. I appreciate the support and advice from you guys. Thanks. Feel free to add me, id love more support
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    One of the keys to dealing with Anxiety Disorders is to find the root cause rather than simply be symptomatic. Meds do help as well as exercise and a proper diet oriented toward the various degree of the disorder and the makeup of the person. It can be as simple as a chemical imbalance or as complex as negative experiences...or both in most cases.

I would suggest having a full blood workup done and if that is an anxiety trigger, just med up and have someone take you. It can be very revealing to see if you are missing some "key ingredients" to your overall diet.

For some of my patients, getting them to a lower carb diet with the proper proteins was part of the solution. For others, the opposite. In all cases, many had suffered some or several life events that we dealt with for a healthier mind. The mind can indeed feel happiness, sadness, grief, joy, fear, etc. all at once and at times that can indeed be overwhelming in the TMI department and trigger a panic attack (one example).

Panic and Anxiety are a form of pain and any pain is a symptom, not the cause. Finding the cause can take awhile, but treating the immediate symptoms for you will be unique as to diet. I have to stay away from vitamin B in general as it can make me anxious, but for others, it calms them down. I have one client that smokes a cigarette when having anxiety and it calms them down as does caffeine. All to say, you are you and your life is unique.

See a professional if you can that specialized in anxiety, stress, and panic and find one that is out for the cure...not just to string you out on various SSRIs and benzodiapines...both which can be very helpful.

I wish you well and if I may be of service to you, let me know. I'm not just a counselor, but someone who is now panic free via diet, exercise, meditation, and surrounding myself with wonderful people. I keep the toxic peeps at a distance. Life is to short to live in any form of anxiety hell. I also have a very loving and supportive wife and a deep faith.

Peace,

Dr. Dave
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I find that exercising outdoors reduces my anxiety. Especially hiking!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD, and I've found that diet, exercise and sufficient sunlight really helps, AFTER therapy/counselling. i.e. like the poster above said, other things only treat the symptoms, but IMO they do that well.

Here's what I've found:

1. really strenuous exercise really helps to get rid of stress hormones from the system and replace them with endorphins. With anxiety disorders, a lot of the symptoms are caused by having too much of the stress hormones constantly circulating in your system. this then causes a whole range of physical and mental symptoms. Getting rid of them really helps you to feel better. Personally I do heavy lifting (currently doing stronglifts 5x5) and have found this to be extremely effective... but I think any kind of very strenuous exercise would have the same effect, and less strenuous exercise, even just going for a walk, does help too, although I find that the more intense the exercise the better it works.

2. I find that low blood sugar makes it a lot worse, i.e. more likely to get triggered, and generally feeling more anxious. I don't skip meals, and while eating programmes like intermittent fasting can work very well for some people, they are *not* for me at all!! I also don't do low carb, for the same reason. But I do try to ensure that I eat healthy carbs, because the wrong kind of carbs can get you in a cycle of blood sugar highs and lows which is just as bad as not having enough carbs.

3. lack of healthy fat has been linked in some studies to an increased risk of suicide... the brain is an organ in the body, it won't function right if it doesn't get the right nutrients. The brain needs a lot of the right kind of fat (i.e. essential fatty acids) to function right (amongst many other nutrients, including carbs). Also, insufficient vitamin D has been shown to worsen depression and even cause depression in some cases. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, so it's found in foods that contain healthy fat, e.g. full fat dairy, egg yolks, fish oil. I aim for balanced macros, i.e. 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. this ensures I'm getting enough healthy fat and enough healthy carbs for my brain to run well, and my brain running well = coping with an anxiety disorder a LOT better. Also, vitamin D supplements may be necessary if your levels are really low.

4. Vitamin D also comes from sunlight. We evolved outdoors getting plenty of exposure to sun, nature, and fresh air. Lack of sunlight has been proven to be detrimental to mental health, maybe nature and fresh air just make you feel good, but in any case, i find it essential to get out during daylight hours on a regular basis, preferably somewhere green rather than in the city.

5. All of these things are just treating the symptoms not the cause, so definitely do whatever kind of therapy/counselling is effective for the anxiety disorder that you have. In some cases, this can completely cure the anxiety disorder, in other cases it never goes away completely, but counselling/therapy by someone who knows what they're doing (check their qualifications and experience) can go a long way to stopping it from messing up your entire life.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Having a personal battle with depression and anxiety for many years, I feel for you.

My biggest tip would be - go for a walk. Seriously, find or make time at some point in the day to go for a walk of at least 10 mins. It really does help.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I find running very effective. Even long distance hiking and lifting weights help, but there seems to be something about running.