Tell me why? Only serious replies please.

Options

Replies

• joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    From what I read, it's not that you are only eating 1000 calories or less, it just that you net under 1000 calories after your workout. I do the same. When I was trying to lose, I was on the 1200 calorie program, but after burning my 600+ calories in exercise, I would net 600 a day. I'm not starving, I eat ofter throughout the day, and I eat mainly proteins. I feel better than I have felt in a long time, and I have more energy. Now that I am just maintaining, I have increased my calorie intake to around 1400-1500 a day, and still burning 600+ in exercise a day, which still has me under 1000. I would say do what works and feels best for you. Wish you all the best in your endevours!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    My ticker goal was set before I knew my body fat. I am not trying to achieve a goal wieght anymore. I am trying to achieve a BF%

Then your huge calorie deficit is the absolute wrong way to go about it.

It's much easier to lose fat while sparing muscle than it is to put that muscle back on later.

If your goal is a certain body fat %, then you are best served by trying to keep every ounce of lean mass you have.

I know. Hence the strength training and higher protein, etc.

So you know your current methods are sub-optimal for achieving your stated goal...... and you are going to continue it anyway.

OK. Glad you started and perpetuated this thread asking for opinions and facts when you were going to discount them all and keep doing what you're doing all along.

Thanks for wasting everyone's time.

Whose time is she wasting?

Everyone who responded assuming she was being honest about looking for opinions and facts.

Facts - now that is an interest concept here on MFP..............

Opinions on the other hand are just that, opinions.

She wasted nobody's time.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    By what method is your body fat getting tested?

If the trainer is doing it, I'm betting caliper test

the gyms here use hand held things that look like gaming controllers. some gyms have the scales that tell BF%.

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My ticker goal was set before I knew my body fat. I am not trying to achieve a goal wieght anymore. I am trying to achieve a BF%

It's much easier to lose fat while sparing muscle than it is to put that muscle back on later.

If your goal is a certain body fat %, then you are best served by trying to keep every ounce of lean mass you have.

So you know your current methods are sub-optimal for achieving your stated goal...... and you are going to continue it anyway.

OK. Glad you started and perpetuated this thread asking for opinions and facts when you were going to discount them all and keep doing what you're doing all along.

Easy. I have yet to have my question answered. My question was (more or less) what are the effects of netting below 1000 calories? And then I asked for back up so I could see how their conclusion was reached. A lot of responces seem to assume I am not eating or eating a VLCD. I am eating a lot of food to get nutrients and vitamins. I just burn off a lot of calories. This is not a everyday thing. I only train 4/7 days a week. This is not a long term thing. Just a cut cycle. I've only done this two days so far Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is a rest day. Then I will do it Thursday and Friday.

A lot of people are giving me info on effects of VLCD when in my mind they are different. I am still eating the amount of food needed to function and get the required nutrients. I just am burning more then I am eating.

I do not want to hurt myself that's why if I could gather supporting evidence to it's negative effects I would stop immediately.

You do not want to hurt yourself that's why you should make sure a plan is sound and make IT have evidence to back up its efficacy and safety before you proceed with IT not vice versa. You ALMOST have the right idea, here just reverse it. The tried and true is tried and true for a reason. If you are game for experimenting with your own body you should make that NEW idea stand the test of soundness before venturing into it. Does that make sense? No goal body weight or scale number no matter how lofty or reasonable should replace logic. Get it?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

the gyms here use hand held things that look like gaming controllers. some gyms have the scales that tell BF%.

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers

What do you mean by digital calipers, exactly?
  • joleenl
    Options
    Google Layne Norton's Metabolic Damage series, watch it and then show your trainer.

Will do! I can't watch it now but I will for sure tonight.
  • joleenl
    Options

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers

calipers that have a digit read out.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    Surely you already know that 1000 calories is not enough! If you want serious answers than you need to be serious about how you lose the weight!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Google Layne Norton's Metabolic Damage series, watch it and then show your trainer.

Will do! I can't watch it now but I will for sure tonight.

Watch it with your trainer. With popcorn and wine. Either way reject or accept, it'll be fun times. and you can even catch us up on your mfp phone app to let us know what you decided. itz_girlz_nite_friends_party_girls_popcorn_wine-hd-wallpaper-183615.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers

I see.

Realistically, any change in skinfold measurement over the course of a single week is going to be dwarfed by measurement error.

You're going to do what you want to do either way. So enjoy.
  • joleenl
    Options

Easy. I have yet to have my question answered. My question was (more or less) what are the effects of netting below 1000 calories? And then I asked for back up so I could see how their conclusion was reached. A lot of responces seem to assume I am not eating or eating a VLCD. I am eating a lot of food to get nutrients and vitamins. I just burn off a lot of calories. This is not a everyday thing. I only train 4/7 days a week. This is not a long term thing. Just a cut cycle. I've only done this two days so far Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is a rest day. Then I will do it Thursday and Friday.

A lot of people are giving me info on effects of VLCD when in my mind they are different. I am still eating the amount of food needed to function and get the required nutrients. I just am burning more then I am eating.

I do not want to hurt myself that's why if I could gather supporting evidence to it's negative effects I would stop immediately.

You do not want to hurt yourself that's why you should make sure a plan is sound and make IT have evidence to back up its efficacy and safety before you proceed with IT not vice versa. You ALMOST have the right idea, here just reverse it. The tried and true is tried and true for a reason. If you are game for experimenting with your own body you should make that NEW idea stand the test of soundness before venturing into it. Does that make sense? No goal body weight or scale number no matter how lofty or reasonable should replace logic. Get it?

Yes that is true. But 2 days of it won't kill me anyways. Lots of people cycle calories, so if I found out today with a creditable source that it was bad.... I can just eat a bit more the remaining days of the week to balance it out...no? So logically it's ok then.
  • joleenl
    Options
    Surely you already know that 1000 calories is not enough! If you want serious answers than you need to be serious about how you lose the weight!

did you read my question?
  • __Di__
    Options

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers

I see.

Realistically, any change in skinfold measurement over the course of a single week is going to be dwarfed by measurement error.

What WOULD be a good fat measuring device in your opinion?
  • jonnythan
    Options

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers

I see.

Calipers are great.
  • __Di__
    Options

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers

I see.

Calipers are great.

Yes, they are.
  • walkersallymae
    walkersallymae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok so you may have a higher than desired body fat percentage but your body weight certainly doesn't seem to be in the range of obesity. Having said that I don't think eating under a 1000 cals/day is a big problem if it is time limited. When I joined here I was 50lbs overweight and wanted to lose fast. I was set at 1200 cals/day and burned an average of 600-700 cals in my daily workouts. So my net was pretty low. I never ate back exercise calories. Frankly what's the point? So again I think you are ok if it is time limited. eventually you will want to raise your calories and determine where you can eat without weight gain to sustain your loss and body fat percentage.
  • joleenl
    Options

I use calipers at home.

Yes digital calipers

I see.

You could be right about the calipers. A weeks worth of loss may not be accurate on calipers.

If you feel so strongly about it being bad for me. Just provide me some evidence. I am not even disagreeing with you that it is bad. You could be and most likely are right. I just can't seem to find proof that VLCD and having a low net calories have the same effect is all.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Yes that is true. But 2 days of it won't kill me anyways. Lots of people cycle calories, so if I found out today with a creditable source that it was bad.... I can just eat a bit more the remaining days of the week to balance it out...no? So logically it's ok then.
    just_do_what_you_want_by_tricked1-d3ix75d_large.jpg
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I follow the program I'm on to a tee, I only net between 900-1000 calories per day. Granted I don't follow it all the time but I try not to go over 1200. I lose weight pretty quickly when I can do this. I think it's ok, especially if you are working with a trainer. Just make sure the foods you are eating are good quality foods! Don't eat 1000 calories of junk or you WILL feel it!
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The chance of you reading something on the 9th page is slim (and it's probably been said before) but I'm going to put this anyway. When you eat less than your body wants/needs, it will get energy (calories) from your body. The problem is that your body isn't dumb. Will it take the fat that burns a few calories a day, or will it take the muscle that burns 10 times more per day? What your body is thinking is if it takes the muscle, not only does it get calories, but it eliminates the calories the muscle needed. Soooo....low calorie diets will lower lean body mass and retain fat. Since your muscles are a big part of your metabolism.........