How do I keep from eating because I'm bored?!

Options
I get bored. Especially in the summer. A lot.

And it makes me want to eat. Because I love eating.

But I want to lose weight. And get toned.

So. If you guys feel/have felt the same way.

How do you stop yourself from eating??

Replies

• melr01
    melr01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same thing. I want to eat right now but instead I came on here to see what other people were talking about. I try to distract myself. I drink water or go for a walk or get on the phone with a friend. Anything to busy myself. I try to keep a 20 minute rule with food. If I'm still hungry, craving, etc after 20 minutes I ask myself again why I want food. Does my body need nutrition or am I just bored, emotional, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes I delay myself for hours and then give in.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I smoke. :laugh:
  • PilatesConvert
    PilatesConvert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get bored when all I'm doing is sitting on my butt surfing the web or watching TV. I'm more inclined to eat out of boredom then.

If the goal is to not get bored and eat, don't do things that are boring! Find a hobby! Get out of your house. Do something. Volunteer. Experience the world.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

1. You cannot get "toned", but you can lose body fat to reveal the muscle underneath it.
    2. If you are bored, why not go outside and do some type of activity? yardwork? walk? run?
    3. If it is ridiculously hot outside, maybe find a project indoors? laundry? clean the house? read a book?
    4. Ultimately, it will be up to you to stop eating when you are bored

ETA: My fault. You are 18 years old and probably don't want to put laundry or clean the house at the top of your list. :laugh:
    Anyhoo....find activities that you enjoy and go do them. :smile: enjoy the young life while you can :laugh:
  • ambermichk
    ambermichk Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    esp at night. I home from work, hungry... the house is quiet so I don't want to make a ton of noise (which is a joke and excuse) and I eat... and eat.... and eat..... I eat a lot because I am bored
  • Ce87girl
    Ce87girl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating while bored and i catch myself I will stop and do something healthy (depending on my location). For example - just sitting on the couch, when i catch my gaze wandering to the kitchen, i'll drop and do 10 pushups, 10 sit ups, and/or some stretching and squats to get myself doing something, and it usually takes my mind off of it for the time being. If i'm at work I just take a walk - get up and move around.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I clean something, create something or go to bed.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I do this too. Sometime I will buy a pack of gum and spend the afternoon eating piece after peice until i've finished the whole pack. Gum is about 3 cals/piece X about 15 pieces per pack so I'm only consuming about 45 cals and keeps my mouth busy which keeps my mind off food cravings :)
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I play around on mfp on the success stories thread ! seeing peoples pictures and posts about their goals and their successes, make me distracted enough so I don't want to eat, but also makes me feel that the next thing I should eat is healthy lol
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Big glass of water.
  • karaeb621
    karaeb621 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink water instead of eating. Most of time if you are feeling hungry it is just your body telling you it needs more fluids!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Develop a hobby. Something that keeps your hands busy, such as sewing, embroidery, knitting, dollmaking, latch-hooking, scrapbooking, drawing, coloring, origami, or anything really. If you have something to do when you're bored, you don't always look for food.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    gum is actually a real good idea --- my struggle time is at home after dinner --- even after i workout, when on the couch watching mindless television, i tend to snack
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same thing. I want to eat right now but instead I came on here to see what other people were talking about. I try to distract myself. I drink water or go for a walk or get on the phone with a friend. Anything to busy myself. I try to keep a 20 minute rule with food. If I'm still hungry, craving, etc after 20 minutes I ask myself again why I want food. Does my body need nutrition or am I just bored, emotional, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes I delay myself for hours and then give in.

I'm going to try that 20 minute rule. That sounds really thoughtful and practical. Thanks. I was about to grab something to munch on while I start my reading assignment. My rationale was that I worked out hard this morning, and I had a small lunch, so really it's just the rest of my lunch, but I don't think I'm even hungry. I'll start that reading and check back in 20 :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Gardening ,landscaping reading, farm work, arts and crafts, art courses, beadwork, sewing, gourd art websites, art fairs, music, exercise, cooking, there is SO much to do, I cannot see how it is even possible to be bored. Take classes, learn a new skill, take up a hobby, go to a concert, whatever.....
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Stop being bored. Go do something. Go for a walk, go to the gym, read, play vidyas, etc.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I smoke. :laugh:

^^me too
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    I chew gum or brush my teeth. The minty taste helps kill cravings for me. I also drink a lot of water.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Drink water or...

Don't become bored.