Runners... How do you stay motivated to RUN?!??

Options

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I find it really tedious unless I have a book to listen to on my MP3 so I feel your pain. It takes me forever to get to that endorphin tune-out phase and I've actually only gotten there a couple of times. I guess that's the elusive "runner's high" people brag about. My motivation is when I look at myself naked in the mirror and can honestly say "I don't look so bad for an old broad".
  • goombasmom
    goombasmom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get my off days. I blatantly lie to myself. Get dressed, put my shoes on, and promise myself I'm just going to run a mile.

If I can survive that first mile, the second one can't be too bad. Hey, and while I'm at it, I'm going to get that third one in. If I'm still feeling pretty good, I get my six. If not, at least I got a couple under my belt. Even 20 minutes of running, isn't too shabby.

You can do it! :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races and they keep me motivated to train so that I can run them!
    This.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races and what not...I'm spending money...I'm vested at that point, so I have something to train for. Working out for the sake of working out sucks, regardless of what you're doing. Training with a purpose is awesome and motivating.

I like running, but in this weather it's hard to be motivated and keep going out. So like the above poster said, I sign up for a race. My money is spent and gone, and I'm not so rich that I can afford to let it go to waste! Plus I like the finisher's medals. Knowing that I have a half marathon coming up, and that I can't possibly train for that in a month, is making me go out and do it NOW.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I find good music to run to. I also LOVE seeing how many calories I blasted on my HRM. I live in the south too, so I go out for my run at 615am!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i feel that way about the gym. I used to LOVE the gym, i couldn't wait to get there, i couldn't wait to see how much closer to an unassisted chin up i was getting, i would look for the other regulars, give them a nod, etc.

I can't get it back, every time i go, i feel awkward and out of place, and just want to get out of there.

Now i am really feeling running, I was almost giggling as i laced up my runners this morning. I conciously chose a different route because i wanted to see how hills feel, i ran up a freaking hill,

Maybe you just need to fid something else that makes you happy and gets you excited? try cycling, roller derby, swimming, power walking, rock climbing, what have you until you find your passion again?
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree! Sign up for a few races and get yourself on a training plan! I have a race a month until my Half Marathon in February.
  • laurawilfong
    Options
    For the most part, I do like running but when I feel like "I can't do this any longer!" I honestly think of how much I want to be thin and beautiful. It isn't really even a health thing for me, I just want to be beautiful. That is incredibly shallow but that's how I personally push through, and that is what I tell myself when my alarm goes off in the morning.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I go bat **** crazy if I don't get out for regular runs. I need them. Today was a beautiful 86 degrees for my afternoon beach run. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm with the other posters, if you sign up for a marathon or run that should do the trick, but it sounds like you may want to find some other alternatives to running. I understand exactly what you mean about dreading a workout and wasting time, and then for me it sometimes just would not get done. I have found that I am much more accountable when I do classes (spin is a great calorie burn like running) because if I don't get my butt up and to the gym at that particular time then I will miss the workout, so then I'm mentally prepared for it and ready and less likely to avoid doing it.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Aside from the de-stress (which today's lunch time run provided) and knowing that I can have a beer with dinner based off the calories I burned, I use one motivator.

Money.

Buy an entry to a race. Dropping $50-$100 on a half-marathon and not wanting it to be a waste of money is a pretty good motivator for me. Put your money on the line so that you'll want to not just perform but perform well. And remember -- only finishers get the medal.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that I haven't been pushing myself in the heat. I have no expectations of myself other than to get out there and run for 2 or 3 miles. I'm not pushing my distance or speed. This has helped me stay motivated in the heat, too. I don't feel like every workout has to be my hardest workout. The result is that I get my butt out there more often and the really good workouts happen on their own. When that weather starts cooling down again, it'll feel like a cinch!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i agree with what others said. i do races. mud runs and triathlons mostly. i'm not that great of a runner actually. but i try. and since i'm swimming and cycling, i get plenty of breaks from running that actually help me run better.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    also, if the weather is an issue, go earlier before it gets too hot out, stay really hydrated, and wear the right clothes!! sweat wicking clothes are your friends. i cringe when i see people running in soaked cotton shirts.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    - I need the endorphins or I'm just another cranky old lady
    - I feel great after my workout
    - Helps me keep my cholesterol down
    - my legs look great (with running and weights)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The run becomes its own reward.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It's the only time of the day that I ever get just to myself. I'm pulled in every direction by DH, kids, job(s), housework, etc. My run is MY time. If you aren't enjoying running, try doing something like training for a duathalon, biking and running, maybe the extra cross training will help you enjoy running more.

Another idea, if you really want to do it, sign up for a race, pick a schedule and simply start out the door on a plan.
    This. It's the only hour or two of the day I get to be alone and think. My time.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm still fairly new to running (been running about a year now), so I'm still (and hopefully will remain) in the "I love running" stage!

However, I do have days where I'm not motivated. That's where having a tough race coming up becomes my main motivator. I signed up for a marathon in January, which was great and all, except it's still MONTHS away...so I was entering the summer without much to do...so I did what I once would've thought crazy (and actually I still kind of think it's crazy) - I signed up for a mountain race with 5500 ft of elevation gain in 10 miles followed by 4500 feet of elevation loss in 7 miles...needless to say it's probably going to be one of the toughest things I've ever done! Knowing what a challenge it's going to be helps me get my butt off the couch and out the door to go do Hills, Speedwork, and other training!

Also, I have found a new song or album on my ipod is another good motivator!
  • fionavanderweele
    Options
    I run four miles every morning (I skip around 2-3 days per month). This isn't a very good answer, but it's what works for me! I only get 1200 calories and by running I get an additional 350-400 (depending on what my HRM tells me I burned!). On the days I don't run, I can't eat as much as and I'm hungry. That alone is seriously the motivation that gets me going! I do feel better about the way I look after consistent running, but honestly, the motivating factor is the extra calories I get to eat!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For me my "lack of motivation" is usually laziness and not true loss of motivation. Like others said, I get my running mojo back when I do it consistently.

Thinks that I do to keep me focused and not cave to laziness includes:
    New Clothing
    Signing up for races
    new challenges (distance/speed work)
    New routes
    Running with others (I do prefer to run solo usually)
    I know it's stress reliever
    I see the scale climbing because I'm still eating like I had the WO cals