Why is everybody so "gaga" over kale?

Options

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I recently found a bagged mix of spinach and baby kale. It was very mild tasting and good in a salad and blended well in my smoothies. I've had a problem blending regular grown-up kale in my blender. I have a decent Kitchenaid blender, and I've found it's the only thing that doesn't blend smooth. Spinach is fine, kale not so much. If I cook it, I often use it in the place of spinach in recipes. It's a little tougher and has to be cooked a little bit longer.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I remember when Chipotle spice was in. And then Acai berries. And then Avocado was the new big thing. Kale might just be one of those 'health food' trends.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    If you go outside near a patch of grass, preferably somewhere dirt is visible and get down on all fours to take a taste it's pretty much like kale.

Much cheaper too. :tongue:
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    it's all about prep. I love to saute it, just some olive oil and garlic in a pan let it get warm, throw in your kale, stir to get the leaves coated, pour in chicken stock, cover, lower heat and reduce, once all the stock has reduced and the kale is wilted (about 10 minutes I find), add salt n' peppa, leave out spinderella unless you want to get funky, add red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar, give a quick stir and enjoy. (also add some bacon to really kick it up, but that does tend to up the fat)

My wife who HATES kale, loves this dish.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    sauteed with stir fry, also have made home made kale chips--
    toss with olive oil, cayenne pepper, sea salt and garlic salt.
    bake at 450 for like 10-15 minutes or until the kale are crispy.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    does anyone else find it funny that every proponent of kale is describing a way to eat it while completely masking the taste?

:huh:

there is something wrong with that... can't quite put my finger on it...

:laugh: :laugh:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I remember when Chipotle spice was in. And then Acai berries. And then Avocado was the new big thing. Kale might just be one of those 'health food' trends.

Ding Ding Ding
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I put it in my scrambled eggs and its delicious... I also add it to protein smoothies with peaches and strawberries... Add it to soups.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options

don't forget chia seeds and ketchup (for the lycopene!):laugh:
  • showjennie
    Options
    I love putting it in smoothies too! Fruit smoothies - lately, nectarine, strawberry and kale with unsweetened soy milk. I like using frozen fruit too.

Today I sauteed it alongside a turkey burger and it was pretty amazing sauteed as well. What's even greater about it is that it has heaps of iron and calcium! Which are two things I don't get enough of, but now I'm keeping kale in my diet for good cause it's awesome!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat it ever
  • showjennie
    Options

Ding Ding Ding

Avocado is awesome, excellent source of fiber and healthy fats. Not sure about Acai berries but blueberries are a powerhouse too, full of antioxidants.

These aren't "health food trends" - these are whole foods that people have forgotten about in the processed-pre-packaged-food-revolution which are now being rediscovered. The fact is, you are better off eating loads of kale and blueberries and Avocado than taking iron, calcium and multivitamin tablets to supplement a poor diet. Imagine that! Getting all your nutritional needs from food alone! Revolutionary isn't it?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    does anyone else find it funny that every proponent of kale is describing a way to eat it while completely masking the taste?

:huh:

there is something wrong with that... can't quite put my finger on it...

:laugh: :laugh:

Papaya makes me physically ill and smells like puke. But hundreds of millions of people seem to like it. The argument against kale here is repeatedly just about the taste. Like everything else, if you don't like it, don't eat it (or if you feel you must eat it, find a way to mask it).
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Marketing. Lots and lots of marketing. Turnip greens could probably pass for a "superfood" as they seem to call anything exotic to an average teenager nowadays, except the ones down South probably still know what those are. Given that I had one of the checkout folks ask me what that big round thing coated in wax was earlier this year, I predict rutabagas are next in line.
  • CoffeeLush
    CoffeeLush Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Kale Caesar Salad. Om nom nom.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sautéed with browned sausage, onion, garlic, cooked white beans, splash of white wine and/or water or broth, bit of salt and pepper - just like I learned in Italy. This is actually what is planned for tomorrow! Yum
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We grow kale in our garden. Kale chips, salads, kale greens fried in some olive oil with bacon. Kale is sooo healthy!
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Kale is amazingly healthy.
    Personally I remove the stems and steam it. Then eat it with tzatiki or cottage cheese. Alone isn't very pleasant, a bit bitter..
  • Barefoot115
    Barefoot115 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Avocado is awesome, excellent source of fiber and healthy fats. Not sure about Acai berries but blueberries are a powerhouse too, full of antioxidants.

These aren't "health food trends" - these are whole foods that people have forgotten about in the processed-pre-packaged-food-revolution which are now being rediscovered. The fact is, you are better off eating loads of kale and blueberries and Avocado than taking iron, calcium and multivitamin tablets to supplement a poor diet. Imagine that! Getting all your nutritional needs from food alone! Revolutionary isn't it?
    [/quote]

Agreed! :wink:
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating buying some this every from the grocer.

And how do you cook it? use it? eat?

Fresh, in a green smoothie :)