How many grams of sugar do you eat in a day?

Options

Replies

• action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have about 40 - 60 grams a day, the difference being whether I put an extra piece of fruit in my afternoon blueberry kale smoothie or not. I don't worry about it, as long as it's from real unprocessed foods: fruit, mostly. The only thing I eat that has added sugar in it is a bit of yogurt once or twice a month. My carbs are currently at 102 grams a day.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you mean added sugar, like anything processed food or white sugar, honey, HFCS etc, then I limit mine to 50 grams a day. They don't mean natural sugar in fruit or dairy. Just sugar added to any food. If you go by MFP's total, then my sugar is about 130 a day but that is because they are including all sugars. Not just the added variety.
  • iwantodance
    iwantodance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about the AHA and the added sugar factor. I'm glad I found out about this because it was very dis-heartening to be going over the limit so easily. I went ahead and changed my nutrient tracker for sugar to fiber.

Thanks to all who answered this question for us.

I think I'll go have some more blueberries. :smile:
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've yet to make it below my sugar goal... I'm usually around 50-140g, on average about 80g I guess... it seems every I eat has a few grams of sugar, it adds up fast, then add one sugary snack and its all over!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I do not monitor sugar for the reasons many mention above ^^^ the RDA is added sugars, most if not all of my sugar comes from natural sources such as fruit, occassionally raw honey.
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    MFP sugars are way too low. ADA reccomended sugars are for ADDED sugars not sugars coming naturally from fruit and dairy. I have a piece of fresh fruit, yogurts and milk every day and dont sweat it myself : )
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Normally I am over by anything from about 20 -50 grams. Today quite surprisingly, I am under. Most of my sugar comes from natural sources (fruit and milk) though so I am really not too concerned. As other people said, I believe the recommendation is for ADDED sugars, not NATURAL sugars.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar people, it's doesn't matter the source. Your body still creates insulin when you eat it. If you eat fruits from only the berry family you can manage sugars better. Instead of getting your yogurt with fruit in it get plain yogurt and add your own berries. Much better for you.
    I tried staying below 30 grams for 30 days and I did it but it wasn't easy and I pretty much ate the same freaking thing.

Overall, God created fruit and intends for us to eat it but don't over do it. I try to only eat 2 pieces a day. Everyone is different and if you don't have blood sugar issues you should be fine. I hope this helps.
  • vtbigdog
    vtbigdog Posts: 2
    Options
    You can create another meal category to track natural sugars as opposed to added sugars. That makes the numbers a little easier to decipher.
  • thatsbroscience
    Options
    last 3 days:

• Jmeisalive
    Jmeisalive Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ...pretty much the equivalent of a kiddy pool.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded. I thought it was added sugars too but then MFP tracks all sugar and caps it at 25g so I thought maybe i misunderstood.

As I said, going over (when I include naturally occurring sugars like those in fruits and dairy) doesn't seem to impact my weight loss and honestly it makes my diet broader and more varied. I enjoy cooking and baking -- I reduce any added sugar where I can, but I am not making my own bread or dairy.

I will be mindful of it, but not let it control me.

Thanks again.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You mean carbs not sugar? 25g of sugar is over when you eat greek yogurt or fruit. Doesn't matter. As long as you dont over do it. I eat about 150-175g of carbs per day

Not the yogurt I eat. Fage whole fat is 9g for a 1cup serving iirc. I can only eat about 1/2 though at a time, is pretty filling. I usually only track total carbs and fiber to determine net carbs. I try to keep around 50-100g carbs daily.
  • nonnadiquattro
    nonnadiquattro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time staying below the 25 grams of sugar that MFP allows me. My plain Kefir is about half of that! Help!
    Any suggestions?

Also, is there any way to add fiber to the daily allowances??? I would think they'd already have that included.

Thanks!

Nonna
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I switched sugar for fiber in my diary since I was sick of seeing the big red number in my sugar column every day. You can barely eat 2 pieces of fruit a day without going over and that is ridiculous. Unless you are a diabetic or have some other medical condition, I would ignore it.
    Yup.
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    <10g/day
  • thmgoodw
    Options

Also, is there any way to add fiber to the daily allowances??? I would think they'd already have that included.

Click on the Food tab, then Settings. You are allowed 5 things to show in your diary (although everything is tracked), but you can change them up however you want. I don't need to track Sodium, so I added Fiber to my five tracking values.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I usually go over on sugar every day, but it's mainly down to fruit.
  • nonnadiquattro
    Options

Click on the Food tab, then Settings. You are allowed 5 things to show in your diary (although everything is tracked), but you can change them up however you want. I don't need to track Sodium, so I added Fiber to my five tracking values.
  • nonnadiquattro
    Options
    Thank you very much! I don't see "settings" so I am certain I need to do it on the laptop and not my iPad. Appreciate your help.