Anyone else afraid to get rid of their fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Donate them! A sweet little old lady at church told me that I better keep them because I will gain it back and need them :noway: I politely told her that they were old clothes anyway and that I was never going to weigh that amount again. The next Sunday she brought me one of her skirts that was to big for her. I took it home and it was to big for me :laugh: Ok, next Sunday rolls around and she ask me if the skirt fit or was it to little? :noway: I politely told her that it was to big for me and...........she said............"I guess you've lost more that I thought you had." :bigsmile: I love this little woman so I shall not be offended in any way. Donate your clothes and buy a few to get by till you get to where you want to be with your weight. That's what I'm doing LOL :laugh:
  • lippydd
    lippydd Posts: 1
    Options
    I am very afraid to get rid of the clothing but I don't want to ever wear them again .. I have lost 70lbs and I have only 2 pairs a pants and a couple shirts as I still have lots to loose .. But they say to get rid of them so that you will never be tempted to over eat again .. If you do well then you will just have to go and get a new wardrobe .. lol .. Good Luck !!!
  • cluelessang
    cluelessang Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm swimming in my pants, jeans and skirts now too. I am so afraid to get rid of my old fat clothes. And thank G-d but for me its not a budget issue. I can afford new clothes but I am too afraid that I am going to creep back up to my former weights so whats the point in buying a tighter fit? I know distorted thinking but I am glad you posted this, because I see that I am not the only one struggling with this idea.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'm a broke college kid so anything that hadn't bit the dust by the time by the time I shrunk out of it got cut up. Any sufficiently oversized shirt can be turned into a pair of workout shorts provided there's nothing printed that wouldn't look awesome on the front or side of them and a pair of jeans will yield at least one reusable grocery bag complete with handles wide enough to make carrying that pumpkin or twenty pound bag of cat chow comfortable. It's also garage sale season so if you've got extra time on your hands you could end up breaking even with that route.
  • BadAtitude
    BadAtitude Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Happiest Day of my life....also a good time to clear out stuff that is terribly out of style and old. I love the extra space in my closet and no more yoyo-ing ...it's size 8 or NAKED! no other options available. :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them... don't use them as a crutch. I got rid of mine and I am not looking back.

This...

I got to clean out my closet and buy all new cloths...even my new cloths are a bit loose now. LOVE IT.

And think of it this way if you keep fat cloths you wont notice if you are gaining cause they wont be tight for a bit..but new cloths that fit will be and that is motivation to smarten up. Besides if you are wearing big baggy cloths how are you suppos to show the world how great you look now.?????????
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly poor and throwing away clothes is something I've NEVER done from even a young age. If it doesn't fit, I re purpose it.
    Shoes - Make good planters.
    Shirts - Puke rags(I get severe migraines and I puke quite often because of them), scrap fabric(Custom doll clothes, bracelets, etc)
    Pants - Play tubes for rats/other pets. Scrap fabric. Or new shorts if the waist still fits( I LITERALLY still have a pair of tripp pants from 7 years ago! They're shorts now, but were those super long baggy pants but they got too short as I grew.

And if I still like the clothes that are too big, well I keep them and wear them to bed, or around the house on really hot days. Shirt dresses rock!

And of course the opposite goes as well, I have been saving a 'skinny' wardrobe in a tote for going on 2 years now, just a BIG TOTE of nothing but tiny clothes, that I now fit. If I hadn't been stubborn and saved them despite my mom saying I never would(She wanted me to sell them or something) I would be fairly naked right now. XD
  • Cindymop
    Cindymop Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well I did get rid of my "Fat" clothes and had a blast doing it!!!!! It was so rewarding!!!!

As far a getting new ones, I have hit the thrift stores along the way. Goodwill to Hospice thrift shops. I have found some very good deals - and nice name brand clothes. Yep had to throw those out too and get even more.

I found a shop that was supporting the local hospital - most donations were from the doctors - Great Clothes - and on Wednesdays you get 10% off. It's great since the clothes are only a $1.00 every other day! It also helps a great cause. My friend even got a Coach Purse for only $25.00 - what a deal!

Happy Shopping!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I wasn't "afraid" to do it, more cheap than anything LOL. I went from 300 pounds (size 24) to 200 pounds (size 12) before I got any new clothes. The only reason I did it is because my husband said it was embarrassing to be out in public with me and my new hotter body and my clothes falling off, or inches of fabric bunched up in my belts LOL! I knew he said it to make me realize that I should be rewarding myself and enjoying my loss and my new body. The reason I didn't want to buy anything is because I knew I had more to lose/body re-comping to do. A great friend as well as an aunt of mine "donated" a closet full of clothes to me that were all in my new size. Problem solved! I did however buy 2 new pair of jeans that fit like gloves, haha. I've now since shrunk to a size 6-10 depending on brand and have collected some new pieces that I've shopped for myself. It really does help me feel better about my new body. As for the fat clothes: donate them to a women's or homeless shelter, these people need them more than the thrift stores do. I'm never looking back. I know I'll never need those fat clothes again. Side note: keep one of your biggest outfits so that if and when you have a stall in your progress you can put it on and feel like a million dollars! I might do this today! ????????????
  • iwantodance
    iwantodance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have accumulated a lot of clothing on the way to gaining about 60 lbs. I like a lot of it and have to admit that it was a little depressing to think of shrinking out of it all. So, I started buying stuff that I could easily alter. I've got a nice sewing machine and time to sew. It makes sense to me. It might seem crazy to some to be depressed about shrinking out of fat clothes, but it was the clothes I liked, not the fat. I'll still buy some new stuff when the time comes, although I have saved my old "skinny" clothes except what I've given to my daughters. I've got it all bagged up by size and the bags are labeled, size 16 pants, size med shirts, etc. Going through that stuff will be like going on a shopping spree. Wheeee!
  • Vaughanabe13
    Options
    I never throw away my 'fat clothes', I just pack them away in storage containers when I don't need them and then get them out of sight and out of mind. This works well from a motivation standpoint and also from a financial standpoint. It's just not responsible to throw away (or donate) so much money in perfectly good clothes. It's unrealistic to think that once you hit your goal weight you will be at that weight forever. Holidays happen, vacations happen, aging happens, etc. It's all about your mental state, and if you view it as being financially responsible rather than a dietary failure, there are no problems.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I am not going to throw them away but I am going to give them away. I am buying a lot of transitional clothing at Costco cause it's so darn cheap! I just bought a pair of work slacks for 14.99 (good thing too, cause after I started lifitng my hips got smaller, or my butt got higher... anyways, I had to go back for ANOTHER size down) They have tons of shirts for around the same. I can get away with spending about 120.00 and I have enough clothing to make it through the next couple months. Another great idea is to have them taken in. That would be better for nicer clothing etc.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I was scared to at first, but now I'm not. I even confidently buy things that I think will fit great in "10 pounds or so" because I'm really secure that this isn't a fad, and I'm going to keep sticking with it. I didn't get rid of anything til about 70 pounds off though and by then everything was literally falling off me, and my boobs were laying in the bottom of the cups of my bras like they'd been forgotten on a shelf. Things are only lasting me two or three months till they need to be replaced because I'm still losing about ten pounds a month reliably. So, currently I have the rule of two (or three). No more than two or three of the same item in any current size. I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores too.
  • englishbulldog2013
    englishbulldog2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    once I hit my goal no more fat clothes bring out my old clothes I kept in storage because knew going lose weight one day
    never been this big in my life cant wait bring them out
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Nah, once it gets too big/baggy it's either going to Goodwill or to the trash. I buy my barn clothes at Goodwill, so that if I shrink out of them, no biggie as I've only a few bucks out of pocket. I've good stuff in my closet that's thirty years old and fits again now.
  • englishbulldog2013
    englishbulldog2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    once I hit my goal no more fat clothes bring out my old clothes I kept in storage because knew going lose weight one day
    never been this big in my life cant wait bring them out we have 25 cent store ever thing 25 cent I know want spend much lol
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    I've got small, medium and large clothes. Right now my large clothes are choking the life out of me so that;s when I knew I really needed to get my act together. anyway to answer the question, no I don't ge rid of the fat clothes.
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    My current wardrobe was filled with size 38-40 XL-L stuff. Most of it was way to big, so with a recent move I went ahead and made the decision to donate them all. I never (repeat NEVER) want to go back to that size and will do anything in my power to make it so. Right now I am fitting in 34 (and it's still loose so I anticipate getting rid of these soon also). As far as t-shirts/polos I don't think I will ever fit into a small without it looking awkward. I do want to retain my upper body mass so therefore medium is the max I will go, therefore I went a bit overboard and bought a whole new upper body wardrobe. The pants will be purchased infrequently until I can comfortably fit into a 32.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    If I find clothes that don't fit me for one reason or another, I donate them. *shrug* I don't really have "fat" clothes, persay since I've been roughly the same size since High School (just working on body composition and toning now)...but that's what I'd do.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    NO. I am more than happy to rid myself of the old fat wardrobe!