Am I eating enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• janegeraldine
    janegeraldine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How is running 3-4 miles "too much" running? That doesn't even make sense. I run 3-4 miles 5 times a week, and I am always working to add more to my mileage. Who is saying this kind of thing?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think people freak out over the idea of eating lower calorie and buy into the starvation mode story because it makes them feel better about eating more.
    No freak out here - but personally, I'd rather keep my muscle and lose the fat, not the other way around, which were my results when I was eating that standard 1200 cals a day. Plus I was irritable, tired, lacked energy for workouts, and was hangry (hungry + angry because I was hungry :tongue: ).

I don't need to "feel better about eating more" like it needs to be justified or something - i DO feel better eating more because by doing so my body is well fueled for workouts, burns fat efficiently rather than wanting to store it, and while doing so I lost more inches, fat and overall weight, dropping several clothing sizes and looking and feeling better than I have in years!

So heck yeah, I feel better about eating more! If I can lose the fat, look and feel awesome while eating 1800 cals a day, why on earth would I drop to 1200? Food is fuel, and I like it! :drinker:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I believe you are eating enough. My weight loss slowed to less than 4 pounds a month.

Uuhmm...yeah - that's a healthy loss - enjoy losing a huge amount of muscle - just don't encourage others to do so with you......
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    People were saying that running 4 miles a day 6 days a week was too much.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    How is running 3-4 miles "too much" running? That doesn't even make sense. I run 3-4 miles 5 times a week, and I am always working to add more to my mileage. Who is saying this kind of thing?

It is too much if she does not eat enough - and running works wonderfully with a huge calorie deficit to help you lose even more muscle mass....
    OP, start doing P90X and eat at least some of your exercise calories - if you are not hungry, drink a protein shake before bed...That might help save some of your muscle mass.....
  • janegeraldine
    Options
    I don't see how how running a few miles a day six days a week is too much if you don't feel taxed by it. If you are trained to run that much and are not achy or feel awful afterwards, I don't see how it can be bad. Listen to your body. If it says it's too much, then it probably is. If not, then don't worry.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps and try eating half of your work out calories back. It will give you morce choices of foods to eat :}
  • janegeraldine
    Options
    Take baby steps and try eating half of your work out calories back. It will give you morce choices of foods to eat :}

Yes! this way you can gauge your results and see how much of an increase still allows a loss. If your loss slows down too much, you can shave a few calories, or if it stays the same you can add a little at a time.
  • janegeraldine
    Options
    I believe you are eating enough. My weight loss slowed to less than 4 pounds a month.

Uuhmm...yeah - that's a healthy loss - enjoy losing a huge amount of muscle - just don't encourage others to do so with you......

Since you don't know me and haven't seen my weight loss over time, I will let you know that I am losing fat and not muscle. As the fat disappears from my body, I am actually starting to see the muscle structure that I have been working on building over the past few years. My measurements consistently go down, which indicates a fat loss, and my cellulite areas have reduced dramatically, also a sign of fat loss AND muscle building. I am stronger and in better shape than I have ever been. All of my other markers have reduced and I have discussed all my diet concerns with my doctor, who supports my current weight loss plan.

Do not come here and tell people about their own weight loss. I was sharing my own experience, which works for me and has worked for other people.
  • catbubbles
    catbubbles Posts: 28
    Options

That is nuts. That is not too much running. The key is fueling your body for it. I would be so tired if I worked out a bunch and only ate 1200 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

It is if you're not eating any exercise calories back... If you want any muscle left what so ever, you need to eat more!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

That is nuts. That is not too much running. The key is fueling your body for it. I would be so tired if I worked out a bunch and only ate 1200 calories.
    the point that was being made is this:

It's not that running is the problem. If the OP isn't eating enough, then it's too much. You have to fuel the body properly. If you're running 24 miles a week, that's awesome, but you have to make sure you're not creating too large of a caloric deficit, which was the implication.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    At the very least, if you are following MFP guidelines, you should be eating back your exercise calories. Your deficit was already calculated when you chose "sedentary" as your activity level. Anytime you exercise, you are increasing that deficit with activity not already accounted for. Therefore your body needs more to fuel that activity. Your NET calories at the end of the day should be 1200 not less. 1200 is the absolute minimum, NOT MAXIMUM, (and is usually too low for most people) you are allowed to eat. It's okay to go over.

Edited to add:

Here is a good page of links with useful info from established, successful MFP members backed up with references. Hopefully, this will clear some confusion and get you on the right track. Good luck to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

this one is good too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't about trying to eat the fewest possible number of calories. It's about learning to eat at a healthy level for your body - not too much and not too little.

So you do need to eat all of your base calories and at least half of your exercise calories.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would never go below 1200 calories and my entire weight loss and also now a year of maintenance is based on a 1200 allotment. I do not eat back my exercise calories. I maintain between 130 and 140 lbs (I am 5'3" and 57 yrs old) Whenever I over indulge and gain back weight I go back to 1200 calories to get to my low and then 1400-1500 to maintain. I exercise quite a bit. I am running for 5 miles a day (45 min) and swim for 1 hour 6 days a week . I also add in strength training(weights floor exercise) 3 days a week. This works for me. I would go with what works for you unless your doctor says different. My doctor is very pleased with my routine:happy:
  • janegeraldine
    Options
    I would never go below 1200 calories and my entire weight loss and also now a year of maintenance is based on a 1200 allotment. I do not eat back my exercise calories. I maintain between 130 and 140 lbs (I am 5'3" and 57 yrs old) Whenever I over indulge and gain back weight I go back to 1200 calories to get to my low and then 1400-1500 to maintain. I exercise quite a bit. I am running for 5 miles a day (45 min) and swim for 1 hour 6 days a week . I also add in strength training(weights floor exercise) 3 days a week. This works for me. I would go with what works for you unless your doctor says different. My doctor is very pleased with my routine:happy:

This is also my approach. I am not at maintenance phase yet, but I expect to be around 1700 calories for maintenance. This works for a lot of people. I am sure you feel healthy and capable and strong with this plan.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It's not too much unless it starts to bother you. I know I need to take days off between runs or my knees and ankles will bother me. I think you need to eat your exercise cals back too. You can exercise all you want but it's set up for you to eat those calories.
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think people freak out over the idea of eating lower calorie and buy into the starvation mode story because it makes them feel better about eating more.
    No freak out here - but personally, I'd rather keep my muscle and lose the fat, not the other way around, which were my results when I was eating that standard 1200 cals a day. Plus I was irritable, tired, lacked energy for workouts, and was hangry (hungry + angry because I was hungry :tongue: ).

I don't need to "feel better about eating more" like it needs to be justified or something - i DO feel better eating more because by doing so my body is well fueled for workouts, burns fat efficiently rather than wanting to store it, and while doing so I lost more inches, fat and overall weight, dropping several clothing sizes and looking and feeling better than I have in years!

So heck yeah, I feel better about eating more! If I can lose the fat, look and feel awesome while eating 1800 cals a day, why on earth would I drop to 1200? Food is fuel, and I like it! :drinker:

Amen to this!!

To the OP, you asked if you're eating enough, and I honestly think with the amount of exercise you get, that you aren't eating enough. However, that's totally from my perspective. I know my body would not be properly fueled with that amount of food and that I'd be more exhausted and worn out from my workouts that way, than if I'd eaten more calories to fuel my body- like 1700. But that's me! So I'm not going to judge you if you feel fine on 1200. After a long enough period of time, you might experience the effects of eating so little while still burning a lot, so I don't think it's the healthiest approach if you aren't eating back at least some of what you exercise, but to each his/her own. We all are different and have our different views on this matter, so I really can't tell you what to do. Do what feels right for you!

Good luck! :)