Gym etiquette/group exercise debate

Options
13»

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't really think I owe any instructor anything other than respect in the form of not being disruptive. I don't have to "give them a chance" or stick it out or do anything I don't want to do, because they are providing a service that I'm in no way obligated to.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't leave a class I started if I could help it, but I also wouldn't care if someone else did. For whatever reason. I try to limit the stuff that I let upset me. I think it's better for my well being in the long run.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    <====== Just walked out of this thread.

hahahaha

What obligation is there to stay? I try not to concern myself with matters that have absolutely no impact on my life what so ever.
  • jennhls
    jennhls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have to say I don't think it is rude to walk out of a class. I usually don't, even if I don't like it. But if the instructor wasn't giving me enough of a burn I would feel like it was a waste of my time. I don't have time to do extra workouts just because an instructor isn't working me hard enough. Vice versa, if a instructor is too hard for your level I would think walking out is perfectly acceptable, who wants to get injured just to save face or the feelings of an instructor?

Sometimes I wish I could be a little more rude, like when an instructor is spending way too much time stretching. I'd like to do about 5 min of it but beyond that I start wishing I could walk out the door. Some people might enjoy it but I am very limber and I don't get injured easily so for me it seems like a waste of time. In such cases why should I have to feel like I am being rude if I want to get home to my kids 5-10 minutes early?
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eh, I say it's no biggie and it's none of your business, really. I would slip out of a class if I didn't enjoy the substitute (with the exception of yoga. That's different from any other fitness class. I actually stayed for a whole class where the sub was AWFUL.) And in a Zumba class I would not feel bad about coming late/leaving early but I would stay near the back and out of the way.

I was talking to the instructor of my regular class yesterday and he said to never let being late stop me from coming. So, not everyone feels the way you do.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I personally like the discipline and rules associated with Bikram, the door is locked at exactly the start time, so if you are late, too bad. The rules are very specific on what is expected of you during class, and I like that, everyone is on the same page, and you know where you are and can concentrate wholly on the class.

However, as of now MzPix is my hero, I feel chastened because I know I am prone to being judgemental.

XX GG
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I work full time and also have two kiddos. I only have a certain amount time in the day to exercise. So yes if Im not feeling it or not burning enough calories I will excuse myself. I don't think Im rude about it. I just figure its my time and money and I want to get the best use of it. And i won't hang around in a class just so i don't hurt someone's feelings. They have to know thats part of the job and like a previous poster said if its happening alot they should consider changing things up.

This. You paid for the class, so I think it's your right to decide whether or not it is worth your time.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but your post kind of smacks of snobbery and high school level arrogance.

As a gym member: It is 100% my prerogative to dismiss myself from any social situation I do not want to be in, at any time, for any reason, without owing anyone an explanation. Most especially if I paid to be there in the first place. If an instructor has an issue with that, he or she can reevaluate their classroom policy. If I don’t like that classroom policy, I can reevaluate spending my money at that facility. As long as I am not disruptive, it is not the business of any other person in that class what I do. Period.

As an instructor (in an academic classroom, not a fitness class): If students walk out of my classroom or arrive late, as long as they are not disruptive, I do not mind and they do not owe me, nor their classmates an explanation or justification for their early absence or late arrival.

Seriously, this is not elementary school. People don’t need a note from mommy to leave zumba class.

This judgment and enforcement of arbitrary class etiquette is the type of elitist behavior that discourages the unfit, uncultured, ignorant, or young people from attending fitness facilities to gain empowerment over their own bodies. It becomes a clique and the outsiders don’t know the rules, so they get shunned, or talked about on facebook, or whatever manner of gossip one is inclined toward. If someone is paying their hard earned money to support a public venue in their community, be it a gym, college, or night club, and their behavior is not hurting or disrupting anyone else, then they should have the liberty to come and go as they please without judgment from those who think they get to make the social rules for everyone.
    Slow clap for this lady.
    As long as the person leaving isn't bring disruptive to the other attendees (who are spending their precious time and money at the gym, just the same as her), I don't see what the problem is. There are some classes where the instructor will ask that people not come in after a certain time for safety or other reasons and that should be respected if you know the rules up front.