Anyone lost weight eating lean cuisine,Smart ones etc daily?

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Not this time around, but I have lost weight eating them in the past -- for dinner every night.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Meh. Nothing exactly wrong with them. They are low in calories, but also low on quality and taste, and HIGH in sodium. Not to mention outrageously expensive for what they are. I could make close to a week's worth of lunches and freeze them for the cost of one Lean Cuisine, and it'll taste a million times better, too. If you like them for the convenience, try freezing your own meals, that would be a much more economical and better-tasting choice.
  • SaraC1977
    SaraC1977 Posts: 51
    Options
    Wow! When did sodium become such an enemy? If you don't have high blood pressure or hypertension, who gives a crap about sodium intake. As long as your getting your other nutrients and staying within your calorie goal, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, if you work out a lot, you NEED sodium to keep the electrolyte balance in check. That's why most people crave salt after a strenuous workout.
    I say if you want to eat a meal that has high sodium once in awhile, don't make a big deal out of it unless you have health issues.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'd rather get those little frozen pizzas and put lean chicken breast on em. Yum 500 cals and 50 grams protein.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I eat them sometimes for dinner. It's just convenience, just don't eat too much of those.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I like sodium. I say if you like them, and they keep you satisfied and eating to your calorie target, eat them. Over time you may find you want to alter your macros, but until then, enjoy!
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    They're not great, I had a ranchero beef one that really sucked the other day, but when I'm feeling lazy and really want an enchilada or pasta, it's better than a lot of choices I could be making.

I hate to cook, so they're nice for convenience, but I wouldn't eat them exclusively.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    One of my friends lost (and kept off) 60 lbs doing this. She is still overweight but no longer obese and is satisfied where she is.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Eh, no. Too much sodium will bloat me like nothing else and it takes me weeks to get rid of it, so I avoid things like that. On top it that, there are a LOT of veggies I don't like and those pre made meals tend to have a lot of those (peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc). Plus, I would rather make my own food and learn how to lose weight and be healthy doing that.

My take on it is "are you going to eat like that forever?" If yes, you will keep buying those, then go for it, I guess. But if your plan is to stop when you hit your goal, wouldn't it be better to learn how to manage your eating during the process? You really don't want to hit your goal then have to learn how to eat all over again. I'm convinced that this is why so many people wind up gaining the weight back, they follow some diet plan thinking they can just stop it when they hit goal, rather than learning how to cook and eat real, healthy food. Just my $0.02
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    There okay. They have sodium but that doesn't really matter much since you just retain water. If they can help you get in your daily/weekly calorie goal then go for it. Remember just eat foods you like and enjoy. Moderation is always key.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I keep them on hand for those crazy days when I need something quick to grab and go for lunches. They may be higher in sodium but which is the better "evil" in a pinch a reduced calorie frozen meal or a Big Mac Value meal at the golden arches drive thru?
  • PReiss828
    PReiss828 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I was doing WW online, I used the Smart Ones because I needed the "structure" and they worked well for me..some I liked, some I did not. But I know if I have to stop and think.."what am I going to have for lunch..or What am I going to do for dinner?"..then I just start picking..and end up eating very badly. So Smart Ones helped guide me...and I lost weight...
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    I used to eat them at least once a day, back in high school when I lost a bunch of weight. They are fine, as long as you are watching your sodium intake. I wouldn't recommend eating two a day, that's too much sodium. If eating one for lunch/dinner will help you avoid a meal that's higher in calories, then go for it. For me it gave me portion control.
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat them regularly because of the convience. I've lost 47 pounds so I must be doing something right. :) That's not the only thing I eat but I probably eat them 4-5 days of the week.

I probably have 4 or 5 a week, too, and I've lost 40 lbs. I don't usually have them for dinner, but I do have them for breakfast or lunch on work days.

I don't always find them to be enough food, so I augment the breakfast ones with fresh fruit, and the lunch ones with fresh fruit and/or celery and carrots with hummus.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yes. last year i ate those for lunch religiously and shed some weight. i think they are fairly decent for a quick grab n' go for work. not too highly caloric. got kind of expensive though. i prefer making something with fresher foods if time allows.

all it comes down to, as far as losing the pounds goes, is cals in vs. cals out. you'll see that beat to death all over this website.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I eat them every day for lunch during the school year. As far as sodium, I sweat it all out during my workouts every day. I need the sodium.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I love the Healthy Choice Steam bowls. No preservatives and low on calories and sodium. Much better tasting than Smart Ones. Usually on sale for 5/$10 and very easy. pop in microwave for allotted time, remove combine and enjoy. None of that peel back and stir, recover and heat some more. They have tons of varieties and I eat them five days a week at work most weeks. Last week I got the Smart Ones to try something new. next week its back to healthy choice. I have lost 12 pounds so far and I just started in May. Hope that helps.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i go through patches of having them for lunch at work or occasionaly as a easy dinner, same with the Weight Watchers ones the issue is tho they are low in calories and fat they are extremely high in sodium (550-900gms) of which a suggested maximum for weight loss and healthy heart is 2500mg a day, the only ones that are lower in salt are ones with low of amounts protein and thus higher in carbs which is just as bad for many people.

They are certainly convenient but you dont want to eat them exclusively or you'll end up retaining fat and water with too much sodium in your diet.

IMO Diet foods are just a marketing ploy like low fat, low sugar, read the labels not the name, Non "Diet" food can be far better for the average person wanting to lose weight.with moderation
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I love the Healthy Choice Steam bowls. No preservatives and low on calories and sodium. Much better tasting than Smart Ones. Usually on sale for 5/$10 and very easy. pop in microwave for allotted time, remove combine and enjoy. None of that peel back and stir, recover and heat some more. They have tons of varieties and I eat them five days a week at work most weeks. Last week I got the Smart Ones to try something new. next week its back to healthy choice. I have lost 12 pounds so far and I just started in May. Hope that helps.

Healthy Choice are the best of the three IMO too but still if it's a protein type dish it will still contain too much sodium,
    Protein = Sodium, plus the extra they add to give back the flavor taken away by limiting the fat content.