Breakfast Smoothies--want help

Options
2»

Replies

• Melissa132129
    Melissa132129 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies different all the time....depending on what I have on hand. I just made smoothies yesterday for my kids and I and it was just:
    1 cup raw spinach
    1 cup frozen mixed berries
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen peaches (when I add peaches I don't need any honey or sweetner)
    1 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk

I only had 1/2 cup yesterday to go with my baked oatmeal but it wasn't even 50 calories for what I had. I usually add ground flaxseed but forgot yesterday. I would add protien powder as well but I don't have any at the moment.

I say just start throwing stuff in a blender and taste as you go ; )
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    1/2 c nonfat greek yogurt
    1/2 c 1% or skim milk
    4 fresh frozen strawberries
    squeeze honey
    1 tbsp organic whole flax seed
    1 scoop whey protein powder

blend

Can also put kale in there. or nix the honey and sub sweeter fruit. I don't like ice so I freeze fresh fruit and use that instead.
  • tazhinshaw
    tazhinshaw Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bumping for the great ideas :)
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    I love smoothies for breakfast! Its something I’ve only just discovered but I have them everyday. I love the fact can spend 30 seconds making my breakfast, 5 seconds cleaning the blade and then be out the door, breakfast in hand! I’ve never loved heavy breakfasts first thing in the morning so a liquid breakfast always works for me.

1 cup apple or apple/mango juice
    2 pre-made frozen smoothie cubes (large ice cubes with banana, berries, tropical fruits, carrot, fresh veggies – store bought or premade in advance)

On top of that I will add a handful of greens or a scoop of oat bran, depending on my mood or my day. If you like a cereal-like breakfast, oat bran in the smoothie is great for a little extra carbs, fibre and density. Normally I change my smoothies based on how I am feeling or my day. I have a gym smoothie made with coconut water and frozen blueberries on gym mornings, or a “pina colada” one for Sundays (pinapple, coconut shavings, oat bran). My boyf’s is always chocolate protein powder with frozen banana and blueberries which works well for him.

Also if you are into protein shakes, the dashing dish blog has some amazing recipes including key lime, red velvet and gingerbread cookie!
  • brianalynnx
    brianalynnx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This sounds so yummy & perfect for me! Do you think I could get away with replacing the yogurt with almond milk, or would it be too runny?
    This morning my smoothie consisted of:

3/4 cup of plain no fat yogurt (you can substitute Greek yogurt)
    1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds
    1/2 banana
    4 large frozen strawberries
    1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
    1/4 cup of frozen raspberries
    1 measured cup of protein whey powder of your choice
    a splash of juice to help with blending
  • SNeumeister
    Options
    I do 1/2c Pineapple Juice, 1/2c Almond Milk, and 1/2c-1c 0% fat fage yogurt.

Shake it in my blender bottle & Good to go!
    You can substitute the pineapple juice for any juice really, just watch the sugar.
  • very_special
    Options
    I make a very tasty, nutritious smoothies almost every morning. It consists of 1 oz. water, 1/2 cup berries (I like blueberries the best - less seeds), 1/2 banana (too much tastes good, but helps keep on the weight), 1/8 tsp Stevia powder (not the packets) and a big handful of lettuce (I think romaine tastes the best). Put it in a blender (if you have a Vita-mix, it works best) and blend until very smooth - longer than you think. Yummy!

Will separate if allowed to sit around, so try to drink it within 5 minutes or so, or stir it up before drinking.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I googled mine---there are a million of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!