My first HALF marathon!

Options

Replies

• jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would it was fate! I was planning on doing this one next March but the day I found it, was 4 days before it was going to go up in price and they are having a 5k the same day, which my dad is going to run...so to me, this one was like fate! :drinker: Good luck to you as well and feel free to add me!
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is super exciting! I loooooved my first half marathon. I've done six halves, one full, and a dozen other shorter distances. The half is my absolute favorite distance. Here are my tips...

1. Treat your long runs like practice runs for race day so you can find out what works. Experiment on what to eat for breakfast, how long before you run to eat breakfast, what fuel to use during the run, what clothes are most comfortable, etc.

2. If you have a time goal, run with a pace group. But you don't need a time goal for your first half. It's an automatic PR! So have fun with this one and set a time goal for the next one.

3. Run outside as much as possible. Running outside feels way different from running on a treadmill.

4. Buy Body Glide. Use it anywhere you chafe.

5. If you live near the course, run it (or parts of it) during a training run so you're familiar with it. If you don't live near it, check out the course profile on the website and run something similar (hills, curves, etc)

6. I'd recommend your longest run be at least 12 miles. Some plans only go to 10, but I always do at least 12. It gives me more confidence that I can complete the distance.

7. Make sure you have been fitted for good shoes at your local running store and replace them when they recommend (usually between 300 - 500 miles).

8. Don't try anything new on race day. Practice a long run in the clothes you're going to wear on race day. Eat the same breakfast the mornings of the long run that you're going to eat on race day. Try to start a couple of your long runs at the same time the race is going to start (i.e. the race is at 8 a.m., start your long runs at 8 a.m.)

9. Don't skip the cross training days. Having a strong core is important for endurance running.

10.On race day, you're going to start out too fast in the excitement of the race. Get it in check quickly so you won't burn out at the end. Sprint to the finish!

11. And this is super important... Smile for the cameras!!! I have some super horrid race photos from a few races were I wasn't paying attention, but I also have some really great photos from races where I was on the look out for the cameras. You'll totally appreciate these photos many years from now (horrid or not).

12. The post-race beer and the post-race shower are two of the most amazing feelings in the entire world. Savor the race and the post-race celebration... You earned it.

Good luck and have fun! Send a friend request if you'd like to chat more :)

This is great! Thanks!!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope to be posting about training for my first 1/2 one day, but first I need to get the 10K distance. LOL! Good luck!!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've only done 5K's, but I recently signed up for a half on September 28. I've just started training for it, and the longest run I've ever done was 5.5 miles last Sunday. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. I'm using a free program I downloaded from Runkeeper. Friend requests from runners are welcome!
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just started my running career in January, and have run a couple 10k's and a half marathon since! The key to warming up to the idea of distance running, for me at least, was doing intervals. I run 10 min, walk 1 min, and repeat the process. I got up to 18k this way, increasing distance by a couple kilometers every week (btw, thinking strictly in kilometers makes running MUCH more satisfying) until the half was no big deal :) I don't run very quickly, and sit at a consistent 9.5 min mile. Races are SO much fun, though, and the whole spirit of the day and feeling of accomplishment makes it all a great experience! Best advice I can give you...find a running buddy who will stick with it. It's way more fun with others.
  • welshlassie
    welshlassie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first hal on 6 Oct. I started running properly in Nove last year and this was the first race I signed up for. I've recently one a 1 mile and 2 mile race and doing 3 miles on Friday (part of a race series) just to get used to doing timed races with otehrs. I also periodically do Parkrun, which is great fun.

I decided to do the half to raise money for a cancer charity that supported my Dad in his last months earlier this year - this is my motivation to train and run it. Having said that I want to do more halfs in the future (not even completed this one yet), but won't be raising money in the future.

I did my longest distance ever last night - 6 miles - loved it. I'm following a runkeeper plan and findings it great. Add me if you want :)
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Doing my first half at the end of September. Done many 5k and 10k distances so far [not official races, just round my local area].

Looking forward to it.
  • azdmelani
    azdmelani Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've completed 5 half marathons, so great choice! While I am not the fastest runner out there, I enjoyed every one of them.

+1 for Hal Higdon's traning programs, they helped me immensely. Dont eat/drink/wear anything new the day of, make sure you hydrate and practice the energy booster you'll be using for the race (my favorite is chocolate outrage gu, tastes like chocolate icing).

Good luck, I am sure you'll do an excellent job!
  • ivanmorovic
    ivanmorovic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck Jay!

I'm also training for my first half marathon on October 13th.

I'm running for 15 years but only last 2 years I started to go over 5k on single run. I've run few 5k, one 10k and I'm on week 4 of Hal Higdon's Novice half marathon program.

Before this one I finished HH's 10k Novice program just to get base miles.

What to say - stick with the plan and nail this HM! :)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Good luck Jay!
    I haven't signed up yet (due to $ issues lol!) but I'm planning on doing my first half (the Detroit Freep International Half) On October 20th. So nervous! I've ran several 5ks, a couple of 4 milers and one 10K....I really wasn't planning on attempting a half until next year, but during the 10K some ladies were putting the idea in my head. Then the day that I seriously started considering it, I got a magazine in the mail that fell open to the page headlined "you CAN run a half marathon" and included a training plan. Soooo..while I'd probably be better off using one of the more popular training plans, I'm going with the one in the magazine, just because it's like fate haha! Good luck to you!

I ran the Detroit half in 2009 (well, it was really a run/walk using Jeff Galloway's training plan) and loved it! My favorite part was running through Windsor. My goal is to be able to do another half marathon next year, possibly Charleviox in June. I've heard that it is a very scenic course and I love the Petoskey/Charlevoix area! Good luck in Detroit!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good luck Jay!
    I haven't signed up yet (due to $ issues lol!) but I'm planning on doing my first half (the Detroit Freep International Half) On October 20th. So nervous! I've ran several 5ks, a couple of 4 milers and one 10K....I really wasn't planning on attempting a half until next year, but during the 10K some ladies were putting the idea in my head. Then the day that I seriously started considering it, I got a magazine in the mail that fell open to the page headlined "you CAN run a half marathon" and included a training plan. Soooo..while I'd probably be better off using one of the more popular training plans, I'm going with the one in the magazine, just because it's like fate haha! Good luck to you!

I ran the Detroit half in 2009 (well, it was really a run/walk using Jeff Galloway's training plan) and loved it! My favorite part was running through Windsor. My goal is to be able to do another half marathon next year, possibly Charleviox in June. I've heard that it is a very scenic course and I love the Petoskey/Charlevoix area! Good luck in Detroit!

Thanks!! Not sure if you've heard, but they're doing a women's half on Belle Isle in september! I'm planning on doing the 5k and making the freep one my first half. :)
  • mother_of_brigade
    mother_of_brigade Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the Hershey Half this October. This will be my first half marathon and from walking the park and surrounding area, this is going to be hilly! Hershey Park is uphill any which way you go!

Thanks for all the advice! Good luck to everyone running!
  • GaJavaGirl
    GaJavaGirl Posts: 25
    Options
    Bumping for the great information!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info. I'm not a runner, but I want to do more of it. I will be running my first 5K this Sunday. The Color Run. And I'm pretty excited.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Good luck ! I have done 5 half using the Hal Higdon training plans. Working now on getting my time under the 2 hour mark (My best was just at 2 hours). I do have to say cross training does help run a better race then just running as training alone
  • TrinaGoss
    TrinaGoss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I also am planning to do my first half marathon in October! I haven't signed up for one yet because right now there aren't any closer than 3 hours away, but last year there was a local half marathon in my city in October so I'm hoping it will happen again! If not, then I guess I'll be travelling! I'm doing a training program I found in Women's Running magazine, and I'm currently in my 2nd week. I've done 2 5k's this year and a few others in the last couple of years, but I've never ran more than 5 miles at one time. I"m looking forward to the challenge!

Any other runners can feel free to add me! I'd love to see what everyone else is doing!
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just started trining for the Cleveland Rock n Roll half 10/6. I am really looking forward to it but super nervous. Finished 1 5k this year. Really nervous about long runs but I really want to do this.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for a half in October.. I did my first 12 years ago and my 2nd in May.

Have a great time!
  • hkang108
    hkang108 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just signed up for my first half too set for Oct 22nd. Congrats to u!! I'm a new runner, last year I ran my first 5k and this year I ran a 4 miler, a 5k and a 10k. Before the half I have another 5k and 10k to run. So excited. Hopefully we can get some good tips :)
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Not sure if you've heard, but they're doing a women's half on Belle Isle in september! I'm planning on doing the 5k and making the freep one my first half. :)

September will be a bit too soon for me, but I am looking for a fall 10k. My goal for this year was to run an entire 5k, which I did on Saturday! I was slow, but so happy that I did it! My next goal is to finish a 10k, walk breaks ok if needed. I would really like to run some of the races in the Michigan Half Series next year. Most of them are near where I grew up, and so far I am on track to do it!