Has anyone tried those juice diet detoxes?

Options
Do you feel it was or is all a sham or did it generally do some justice? I heard that day 3 of the juice cleanse diet you start feeling weak, which for me would be unacceptable since I do a lot of heavy work and need my strength. Although I do want to do some sort of detox thing, any recommendations? Ty Ty

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Do you feel it was or is all a sham or did it generally do some justice? I heard that day 3 of the juice cleanse diet you start feeling weak, which for me would be unacceptable since I do a lot of heavy work and need my strength. Although I do want to do some sort of detox thing, any recommendations? Ty Ty

Just eat food.

Body detoxes itself when you poop and pee.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Just drink plenty of water and get enough fibre. That is all the detox you need!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to "detox"?

Your liver and kidneys already do an admirable job of that and, if you've been exposed to environmental toxins or heavy metals juicing is not going to help in the slightest.

Unfortunately "cleanse" and "detox" are a couple of meaningless words bandied about by the so-called diet industry as they sound scientific and healthy.

Eat a well balanced diet, drink water, make sure you're getting enough fibre and you'll be fine.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It will certainly help you get toned
  • sarahisfocused
    sarahisfocused Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sweet that's what I need
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I like to detox, but don't like to do it for more than one and a half days at the most, usually one day only. When I do, I will drink juice drinks for breakfast and lunch, plus eat grapes, then have a regular light dinner (like steamed fish and vegetables). Or I do the leek soup fast, eating leek soup broth and leeks all day, plus a light dinner. You need to drink a lot of water too.

What it is is light food that doesn't take much to digest and that are slightly diuretic (grapes and leeks), then the water to flush stuff through.

I personally would never do this for more than a short stint once in awhile as I don't eat that bad. But if I wanted to do it longer, it would only be under the care of a doctor.
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    I like to detox, but don't like to do it for more than one and a half days at the most, usually one day only. When I do, I will drink juice drinks for breakfast and lunch, plus eat grapes, then have a regular light dinner (like steamed fish and vegetables). Or I do the leek soup fast, eating leek soup broth and leeks all day, plus a light dinner. You need to drink a lot of water too.

What it is is light food that doesn't take much to digest and that are slightly diuretic (grapes and leeks), then the water to flush stuff through.

I personally would never do this for more than a short stint once in awhile as I don't eat that bad. But if I wanted to do it longer, it would only be under the care of a doctor.

But......what exactly are you detoxing?
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Honestly, probably nothing. They just call it detox. Really I'm just giving my system a rest from heavy digestion and a lot of extra water to flush stuff through. I feel very energized after, although if I did it for longer, I think the energetic effects would be depleted.
  • nomeejerome
    Options

Honestly, probably nothing. They just call it detox. Really I'm just giving my system a rest from heavy digestion and a lot of extra water to flush stuff through. I feel very energized after, although if I did it for longer, I think the energetic effects would be depleted.

OK. Glad you understand "detox" does "nothing."
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Your liver and kidneys already do an admirable job of that and, if you've been exposed to environmental toxins or heavy metals juicing is not going to help in the slightest.

Unfortunately "cleanse" and "detox" are a couple of meaningless words bandied about by the so-called diet industry as they sound scientific and healthy.

Eat a well balanced diet, drink water, make sure you're getting enough fibre and you'll be fine.

^This.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am not doing a juice detox or juice diet, but I did buy a juicer last weekend. (The Breville Elite Juice Fountain - a splurge, but I love it!) We purchased the juicer mainly because my husband has the lapband and cannot eat solid food in the morning. I normally juice for him in the morning and add the leftover juice to my morning protein shake. Sometimes I make a juice as a snack, but I do not replace meals with juice. The juice has added an energy boost to my morning and I feel so much more alert.

A few things I read about juicing:

1. You are stripping the fiber from the fruits and vegetables so it is important to eat other sources of fiber when you are juicing.

2. Liquids don't keep our bodies as full as regular food since our bodies break down whole foods more slowly.

3. If you are juicing to lose weight you should be juicing more vegetables than fruit since fruit has a lot of sugar and is higher in calories.

I've noticed certain items don't juice well because they are not dense in water. Items like kale and spinach work better in the blender with my protein shake and I don't lose the fiber as I do with the juicer.

Final thoughts: I see the benefits of juicing, but I can't see this as a means of a long term weightloss solution.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything but what exactly are you eating that you think your digestive system needs a rest from? If your body needs a rest from digesting food which is a basic function then something is very wrong with either your body or what you're eating...
  • Mslmesq
    Options

OK. Glad you understand "detox" does "nothing."

Well kind of. I guess I should further clarify. I agree with the people that are writing our body (liver and kidneys) are what naturally 'detox' things. When doing a light 'detox', my personal opinion is the goal is to not put extra stressors on them by eating light easily or already digested foods, like liquid juice nutrients, then drinking a ton of water to help flush. You're basically just letting your body do its job that it already does, but you are giving it a day's break.

I also fast for a day once a year, but that is for religious reasons. :-p
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did and they made me sick. I was dizzy and coulnt work. It was horrible. But now I just eat clean.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    148796_10151247815051049_392387126_n.jpg
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Agreee 100%
  • nomeejerome
    Options

I'm not trying to be mean here or anything but what exactly are you eating that you think your digestive system needs a rest from? If your body needs a rest from digesting food which is a basic function then something is very wrong with either your body or what you're eating...

Hey now, if I want to eat this way (and there is nothing wrong with drinking healthy juice drinks for breakfast and lunch and having a light dinner) whether you call it 'detox' or what you ate that day. But if I like to do that even once a month, it's really none of your business. And, it's none of your business what I'm eating! I'm answering an inquiry by the op, not you.

I'm really surprised by these boards and how rude and aggressive some people are. I'm really getting sick of it.

This thread is tame compared to the hundreds of others about detox. Nobody is being rude and aggressive, but simply trying to clarify that the body does a great job all by itself and is a darn good machine. Most of the time, it is the ones accusing others of being rude and aggressive that end up throwing the first punch. Your response was a prime example. :flowerforyou:
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It's bollocks.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered if on juice diet websites people post topics about fitness, exercise, and eating the right foods \m/
  • clarklynch
    clarklynch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am always interested in reading the replies and seeing whether the respondents answer the question, or stick to the topic.