Thick Wavy Hair Pixie Cut! Should you or should you not?!

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It always seems like a good idea. .. Until you have to deal with it. Pixie cuts should be left to the rich and vain, and those in Hollywood with professional stylists. And I'm sorry, they don't look good on anyone overweight.
    Very true. It looks best on tiny Asian women with small features. Normal wright people don't even pull it off that well, it has to be very, very tiny women. No fat, no muscle, and preferably short.
    Not necessarily THAT extreme. I have a friend who just has very delicate features -- especially in her face -- and she pulls it off well. /but it is definitely not a cut anyone can pull off. I never would. I know the OP is going to do what she wants, but I agree with those telling her it's probably not a great idea.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have wavy, thick hair and i wouldn't do it because I think it would take too much maintenance. It would need trimming regularly, and probably would need straightening every day as mine would have a tendency to go frizzy. With 2 young kids I don't get chance to spend much time on my hair! I also like to be able to tie it back in a ponytail for the gym, and if it's annoying me generally!
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair, which i hate ,so I straighten it. I always said I would get it chopped off when i lost the weight. I only have a couple of pounds to go before I hit my goal weight. I am still undecided as to whether I should get it cut off.....
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Some people can pull it off and some people can't.
    I say if you really want it, go for it. You'll never know unless you try.
    And if you end up hating it.... Well, it's just hair and it'll grow back.

Make sure to donate your hair when you do decide on a cut. :)

^^This says it all.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it as you really want to. Maybe get highlights, bleached, or get taught how to style it well so that you can enjoy the most out of it. Prepare for maintenance on it! And you will miss longer hair... but you can always grow it out. I would even use it as motivation to being more athetlic! I did that when I had mine. I had gotten down to a very low weight as a road biker and got it chopped off as it went well with my lifestyle. It also didn't help I attempted dreads and that ended really badly, LOL.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have really short hair and I love it! No combs, brushes, flat irons, curling irons, blow dryers, etc. for me.

It started out as an "accident" when I heard my new hairdresser, who was very new, say "uh oh". I usually kept it fairly short anyway but this was crew-cut short. I wear it a little longer than crew-cut now, but not much. It's so easy to take care of - no muss. no fuss. And I ride a motorcycle so it limits the helmet-head effect!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think I am too old for a pixie cut, but I used to get my hair cut like that when I was young. It was cute.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a very short pixie and my hair is thick and wavy when it's long. This short, it has no wave to it at all. I love how easy it is.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I was sorta bored, on break at work and I was wondering. If you had thick, wavy, shoulder length hair would you cut it into a pixie? Why or why not? I will be cutting my hair soon to boy short (sort of a pixie) when I get the money. I have that type of hair and I would (and will) just because I want to! Haha would you?
    I have thick wavy hair and prefer it around top of shoulder length and either layered or pageboy which kind of curls up. I find it easier to maintain and I cash pull it into a a scrunchie for the gym. I don't want to, nor can I afford to, get my hair done every 4-6 weeks, which is what you need when it's short.

But - that is me and my lifestyle. If this is what YOU want the go for it. ( BTW I get my hair done at a school at a fraction of the price and I can count on one finger the times I was unhappy with the results)
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My hair is very think and wavy. I have an angled ,asymetrical bob and I LOVE IT. It's short enough that it's fun, but it's easy to take care of, you can get away with letting it grow out longer between cuts and it's easy to style (round brush and flat iron). I find it's also very flattering for all face types.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have thick curly hair and I can't go too short...I would never do a Pixie cut. But then again, I have a big head so that alone would make it look terrible on me!

ETA I have to agree with the others that said that a Pixie 'do looks best on very petite girls.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Back in the early 90's I had gotten a really bad perm. My hair was so fried from it that I had to cut it all off. I had never had hair shorter than shoulder length before then, and I went from shoulder length thick wavy (fried) hair to super short. I loved it, and I actually got a lot of compliments from strangers. I was young and cute and it definitely suited my face. I will admit that it took a looooong time to grow out. I would have dreams about having long hair and wake up disappointed that it was still much shorter than I wanted.

I still go back and forth about whether I'd cut my hair that short again. Usually I let it grow between chin and shoulder and then get it cut about jaw length. I'm not a big hair styler, so something short is much much easier for me to make look good. Mine is very thick and mostly staight with a little wave.

When I see a woman with longish hair, many many times the hair isn't in good condition or the style doesn't suit their face. A lot of women would look a lot better with shorter hair IMO.