Is anyone else hula hooping for exercise?

Options

Replies

• Cheshire00
    Options
    Hmm, maybe this is my next new venture. Amazingly, I am a bellydancer, and yet I have *never* been able to keep a hula hoop going! It's not like I don't know how to move my body, but I just haven't figured it out. But it looks like fun, and I know the weighted hoops would be *such* a great workout. I'm sure with practice I can eventually figure it out.

I'm sure if you practice with it you'll have it down in no time!
  • KickingDarkness
    Options
    To those who say they can't keep one up it took me a week strait just to be able to keep it up for more than 10 seconds lol. If you're trying with a kiddy sized hoop there's a reason you can't keep it up and don't feel like you should be able to do that. The bigger the hoop the slower it moves and the easier time you will have. :)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop on the wii fit. It's easier than the real thing since I can't keep the real hula hoop going for long! LOL

Soo me as well. I kick butt on Wii but a real hula hoop, nope.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My husbands cousin lost 20 lbs just by hula hooping on a daily basis.

Wow! All the more reason for me to keep it up, I love reading success stories about hula hoops :bigsmile:

I didn't think a hula hoop could do that but makes sense, and great for the core
  • WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Iam just starting finding it hard to keep it going but as they say practice makes perfect i will keep trying
    my 8yr old daugther loves doing it with me feel free to add me for more support with hooping
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    Iam just starting finding it hard to keep it going but as they say practice makes perfect i will keep trying
    my 8yr old daugther loves doing it with me feel free to add me for more support with hooping

That's awesome, my 5 & 7 y/o boys love hooping with me too :smile:
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I have a 3 lb weighted Sports Hoop from Sporthoop.com haven't been using it lately as I'm doing TurboFire....Gave me some bruises at first. I didn't have a HRM and I wasn't an MFPer at the time so not sure of calorie burn but my 18 year old daughter and I love the Golden Girls (old school I know - but great time together:-) We would watch one or two 1/2 hour episodes hooping during the show and during commercials we would hoop while "standing" in a sumo squat position or hoop really fast for the 3 minute commercial breaks. We were able to keep the hoops up for the whole 1/2 hour....great core workout without "thought". Love It!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    does anyone have a hoopnotica? it is a weighted hula hoop
    I have the Hoopnotica instructional DVDs, but I don't think that's what you're talking about?
  • petalrose
    petalrose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    :
    To those who say they can't keep one up it took me a week strait just to be able to keep it up for more than 10 seconds lol. If you're trying with a kiddy sized hoop there's a reason you can't keep it up and don't feel like you should be able to do that. The bigger the hoop the slower it moves and the easier time you will have. :)

Yes I found out after I bought the smaller one that I should have bought the bigger one instead : / so next time I'll get the bigger one.
  • ifucsam
    ifucsam Posts: 40
    Options
    I bought a Hoopnotica hoop on the 14th and it's finally arriving today. I think it's a 2.5lb-er but it was on sale and must have sold out because I can't find it anymore. It said it was great for beginners though. I can't wait to get home and get started! I saw one over the weekend at Target but it looked to be rubber and kind of bulky/heavy. Honestly I did a lot of research about hoops and I wouldn't buy one from Walmart, Target, D*cks etc. but that's just me.
  • ifucsam
    ifucsam Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm a bit bummed there isn't a hooping option in the exercise database. I just sent my HRM back and I don't have money for another one any time soon.
  • 1968LisaG
    1968LisaG Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop and love it. I have a weighted on but it has water in it. I took a class in Maine and the instructor made them. I've just started up again because my tummy seems to be growing and I don't like it. I need to alternate my exercises.
  • 1968LisaG
    1968LisaG Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put my hooping down as aerobic exercise, probably light. I don't know how much harder wii super hula hoop is.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    No, but thanks for the idea! I H-A-T-E exercising - I have adjusted to a healthy eating system, but making myself MOVE is the hardest thing I do. I'll give this a try and hope it doesn't end up in the garage with other "retired" exercise equipment! Thanks again!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Me me!! I do it about 20-30 minutes most days with a dance hoop. I got a sport/exercise hoop at first but I like the dance hoops a lot better than the heavily weighted ones, they allow you to learn cool tricks and dance moves that keeps it lots of fun! I added my own custom exercise for this at about 6 cal/minute I think, it falls in line with aerobics and other dance workouts for calorie burning.

There's a group on MFP for hoopers too! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2763-hooping
  • nann465
    nann465 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been!!! I do it at least 30 min. daily
  • nmprovo
    nmprovo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just started! I got a Danskin weighted hoop from Walmart for only $18 and it works great! I love it so far.. can't wait to get home from work to use it!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Not with actual hula hoops, but I have done the hula hoop section on the Wii Fit! LOL

Me too!
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump. And hot hula sounds fun.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    A regular hoop burns about 5 calories per minute, and a weighted hula hoop (based of 3 lbs hoop) burns about 7 calories per minute.

I love hooping and you can be out there doing it for 30 minutes and not even realize because you're having fun :)