Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options
I'd like to clear this up once and for all. Lately, the forums have been plagued with people claiming that they are "eating clean" and it's getting quite annoying.

There is no such thing as “clean" food.

There is no such thing as “dirty" food.

You can eat processed foods. You can eat chocolate, poptarts, hotdogs, drink soda. Go ahead and even have a nice big juicey burger from McDonalds if you wish!

The key is to fit it in to your macronutrients. Make food work for you instead of cowering in fear like the mass majority. You can still enjoy the foods you love. Yes it’s in moderation. You can still even lose fat, eat at a caloric deficit, gain muscle mass and eat poptarts. I promise.

I wish everyone would stop the fear mongering with carbs, processed foods and paleo bullcrap.

FOODS LIKE THESE DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT. OVER EATING THEM DOES.

Thank you.

Replies

• fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop caring who calls what clean or unclean. Everyone has an opinion (yours is one as well) and it doesn't change anything.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything red because any time I eat red foods my weight loss stalls.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop caring who calls what clean or unclean. Everyone has an opinion (yours is one as well) and it doesn't change anything.

exactly.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Marry me.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

exactly.

What they said...
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Whlie I agree with your fundamental (all caps) point, perhaps not everyone talking about eating clean is worried only about losing weight. I don't think of "eating clean" as a weight loss strategy as much as I think of it as a way to eat more healthfully... weight is not the only thing to consider in overall health.

All that being said, I don't necessarily "eat clean" nor eliminate all processed food from my diet...
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    Well it's a hell of a lot easier to eat "unclean" and b*tch that you're gaining weight, plus all of that junk has a ton of calories and sugar and salt which isn't good for you...so I prefer clean to unclean because it's better for your body.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss, such as cholesterol and blood sugar levels, etc. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "clean" food? Eating clean just means eating foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. It excludes fast foods, processed foods, etc. That's all. It really is a term.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I strongly agree with you OP.
  • AislinnKitten
    AislinnKitten Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think you're missing the point of what eating clean is, lol.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    LOUD NOISES!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the OP at all. What does food making you fat have to do with clean eating?

While many on MFP don't understand what it means, when this term was first coined it simply meant eating whole natural minimally processed or unprocessed foods. Foods close to their natural form.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm not telling people to go stuff their face with unhealthy food, no. All I'm saying is feel free to mix it up every once in a while. Eat foods that love. If you love eating these "clean" foods every single day, then go ahead. But most people I know who are dieting don't do it this way, because cravings eventually do kick in and mentally you'll start caving in, trust me. It's easy to say "Oh I've been eating clean for 7 days", that's cool, try doing it for the rest of your life.
  • MobOfBricks
    MobOfBricks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd like to clear this up once and for all. Lately, the forums have been plagued with people claiming that they are "eating clean" and it's getting quite annoying.

There is no such thing as “clean" food.

There is no such thing as “dirty" food.

You can eat processed foods. You can eat chocolate, poptarts, hotdogs, drink soda. Go ahead and even have a nice big juicey burger from McDonalds if you wish!

The key is to fit it in to your macronutrients. Make food work for you instead of cowering in fear like the mass majority. You can still enjoy the foods you love. Yes it’s in moderation. You can still even lose fat, eat at a caloric deficit, gain muscle mass and eat poptarts. I promise.

I wish everyone would stop the fear mongering with carbs, processed foods and paleo bullcrap.

FOODS LIKE THESE DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT. OVER EATING THEM DOES.

Thank you.

If that s a joke, it s kind of funny because I like sarcasm!

Otherwise it s just sad
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    when was the last anyone saw an obese person who eats clean?
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Some people are concerned about more than fat loss, such as cholesterol and blood sugar levels, etc. Eating crap food at a deficit will indeed cause weight loss but it doesn't necessarily equal physical health.

^ This. Clean eating is eating as close to the original food as possible, with minimal processing. I eat (mostly) clean purely because it makes my body feel better, more energetic, etc., than eating junk food filled with sugars, preservatives, and partially hydrogenated oils. For some of us, the choices we make about food are only partly (or not at all) about weight loss and are more about other health benefits.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    when was the last anyone saw an obese person who eats clean?

Obese people are obese because they are eating above their daily calorie intake. Not because of what they eat. Seriously..... I give up.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So can you present some evidence of blood markers of health significantly worsening after losing a bunch of weight but achieved it by eating "crap food"?
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options

couldn't agree more! I eat what I feel is right for my body, and that might be completely different than everyone else on here! Here's an idea...how about we do what we are all here for...SUPPORT EACHOTHER!

I wish you all the best with whatever you choose to eat!