Arrrggg I am not losing weight and am ready to quit!

Options
Hi everyone! So I have been a member on MFP for a long while now. At one point I had lost 40 pounds but I have gained about 1/2 of that back.
It seems like no matter what I do, I can't lose weight and I am about ready to just throw in the towel.
For about a month I have been eating pretty clean, following Paleo guidelines. And I have gained 5 pounds. Don't tell me it's water or whatever because it's not. I just took my measurements and compared with what they were in April I have gained an inch everywhere.
So I eat pretty good, and I workout. Typically 5 days a week, I do Less Mills Combat...I can get through the combat DVD's no problem, and still modify a lot on the PYLO workouts...but I sweat like crazy for 30-60 minutes almost everyday. I also squeeze in walks every now and then.
But that is about it for my activity. I have a desk job, which requires me to sit on my behind 8 hours a day. I get up and stretch and stuff....but it's definitely not an active job.
I need advice! What should I do? Should not do? Anyone gain weight on Paleo?

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It might help if you actually logged your food consuption. we tend to under evaluate all food calories unless we log.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you count calories?

It's definitely easy to gain weight eating clean or doing paleo...paleo has you eating lots of fats...fats are essential, but also calorie dense. You don't just magically lose weight "clean eating" or doing paleo. My buddy has been strict paleo for years...he's never been as obese as he is now....he can consume his weight in nuts and avocados...his consumption is "clean" but is in excess of his energy expenditure...thus he is obese.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Um.

You don't log your food.

A calorie deficit is required for weight loss. Doesn't matter if you're eating paleo, if you're eating at a caloric surplus, you will gain weight.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You are literally doing it wrong. Like the actual definition of wrong? That's you.

Log your food. Weigh it, measure it, log it, eat it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    It seems like no matter what I do...

it's all about what you DONT appear to be doing...as mentioned...up there ^^^
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Mmkay, let's see if I've got this.

You are on a "calorie counting" based website. But you aren't logging food. You are what, magically discerning the energy balance you are using?

Uh. Log your food and exercise accurately for a month. Just a guess. See how that works.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I recommend logging, since the only possible way to lose weight in the world is eating less energy then you expend.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel......If you want it bad enough you will figure it out.

Start with what the other posters have mentioned. Log what you eat and don't leave out anything---that would only be cheating yourself. Be true to yourself! Maybe you will see via your log that you aren't eating properly. Also, water, drink your water. It makes a huge difference when we are well hydrated---fills us up, helps with mood, helps with skin....just drink up!

Don't give up on you....you are the only one who can figure this out and help yourself! Hang in there and do it for you!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What the others said. If you don't log your food, you don't know whether or not you are eating at a deficit. Considering your weight gain, I'd say you are not.

Log your food and exercise, faithfully and honestly, and you will see results.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above.

Also, PB2 protein shakes, Sun Chips, Peanut Butter of any variety, Breyer's Ice Cream and Hot Dog buns are definitely NOT Paleo.

I don't know anyone who has gained weight while eating Paleo.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oops, I missed Shredded Wheat, Graham Crackers, Quarter Pounders withFfries, Lays BBQ Chips, and entire Olive Garden entrees including bread sticks and dessert.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than you expend, regardless of which dietary dogma you subscribe to, will lead to weight gain.

C'mon girlfriend. You know better. Get consistent with your logging, just like you did with your workouts and bam. Results are on their way.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I got into The Firm workouts. Five days a week I was busting my butt for an hour. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong because I never lost a pound. I really thought that just being more active would cause weight loss. One time I mentioned it to my husband and he looked at me like I had suddenly grown a second head and said, "Are you kidding me? You eat dessert everyday. You eat whatever you want." I didn't like hearing it but it was true.

Choose your activity level as best as you can here on mfp to choose a reasonable amount of calories to eat. One pound a week is a good place to start. Start logging your food. Eat your exercise calories or at least half of them. Do that for a few weeks or a month and then reassess.

I know it can be frustrating and upsetting but don't give up. Just keep tweaking your plan until it works. You can't say "no matter what I do..." unless you've tried everything. Usually all it takes is a little tweaking and a lot of being consistent.
  • kevindhaliwal
    kevindhaliwal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yea i would say start logging your food and that would help alot btw dont cut your calories too fast
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Then just quit. It looks like you are wanting people to tell you its ok to just give up. So, be a quitter then.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!!!

I will start logging faithfully again.
  • kellicruz1978
    Options
    Oops, I missed Shredded Wheat, Graham Crackers, Quarter Pounders withFfries, Lays BBQ Chips, and entire Olive Garden entrees including bread sticks and dessert.

Obviously I was not eating paleo during this time. I haven't logged since I started doing paleo......maybe the current weight gain is from all of this crappy eating I was doing before.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options

Also, PB2 protein shakes, Sun Chips, Peanut Butter of any variety, Breyer's Ice Cream and Hot Dog buns are definitely NOT Paleo.

Hmm, the days you do count calories, it is like the Junkasaurus Rex of Paleo.

OKRKwyA.jpg?1
  • kellicruz1978
    Options

Hmm, the days you do count calories, it is like the Junkasaurus Rex of Paleo.

The-Paleo-Diet-1024x766.jpg

Junkasaurus Rex....made me laugh but you are right. I am going to log what I ate yesterday and today...I think I am doing better now.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    If you nibble it, scribble it.

No matter what, even if you feel embarrassed about what you ate. And don't think "oh well I only had a bite or two of it..." doesn't count, because it adds up really fast without you even realizing it. If you have everything you consumed in a day laid out in front of you, it's a lot easier to point out the deficiencies. :)