"The Time to Make Fun of the Fat Girl...

Options

Replies

• NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think this is a lovely sentiment and I hope it's what most people think.

However every time there's one of those gym rant threads, I suspect that people are more judgmental than that. I've made my peace with the fact that I am likely being judged while I'm at the gym. I just try to remind myself that I shouldn't let other people control whether or not I reach my goals, and I go anyway.
    This speaks to a great strength in you. Doing what you should/want regardless of what others are thinking. I believe everyone should be so strong, but for those that are not, we're rooting for you. -Signed, The Majority.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

However every time there's one of those gym rant threads, I suspect that people are more judgmental than that. I've made my peace with the fact that I am likely being judged while I'm at the gym. I just try to remind myself that I shouldn't let other people control whether or not I reach my goals, and I go anyway.
    This speaks to a great strength in you. Doing what you should/want regardless of what others are thinking. I believe everyone should be so strong, but for those that are not, we're rooting for you. -Signed, The Majority.

:flowerforyou:
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    Great post. Im new to the area, hell, Im still fairly new to the country (USA) and I joined a gym close to my job. Im still shy when I go to workout. I just put my headphones on and ipod and just keep my head down when I work out. I'm definitely embarrassed about how I look when I work out but I need to work out to change how I look. Im sure people are watching me jiggle as I walk on the treadmills and cycle but I dont really care. My gym is run by a hospital so I get a free personal training session every 8 weeks to change up my routine and to show me how to use the machines. The thing Im more anxious about is approaching the free weights. I have some bicep curls with dumbells in my routine but for some reason Im embarrased to go over to the weight section and sometime skip that part of my workout all together :embarassed: :frown: :indifferent:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    very nicely put.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Very well put. I don't think that there is ever a time to make fun of the fat girl because of her weight. Now if she is a terrible person who judges others, that is an entirely different matter. Just don't make fun of her weight.

Men and women are equally cruel. It's a shame that people are so quick to judge others or deem themselves superior.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Is that anything like The Borg?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    What about Fat guys? When is the appropriate time to make fun of them?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there is ever a time to make fun of the fat girl because of her weight.

Agree!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Great post. Im new to the area, hell, Im still fairly new to the country (USA) and I joined a gym close to my job. Im still shy when I go to workout. I just put my headphones on and ipod and just keep my head down when I work out. I'm definitely embarrassed about how I look when I work out but I need to work out to change how I look. Im sure people are watching me jiggle as I walk on the treadmills and cycle but I dont really care. My gym is run by a hospital so I get a free personal training session every 8 weeks to change up my routine and to show me how to use the machines. The thing Im more anxious about is approaching the free weights. I have some bicep curls with dumbells in my routine but for some reason Im embarrased to go over to the weight section and sometime skip that part of my workout all together :embarassed: :frown: :indifferent:

I started out really nervous about venturing into free weights, but in 4 months of lifting no one has ever been anything but nice or indifferent to me. And the changes to my body have been worth getting over my fears. Just do it. Maybe get a friend to go with you. You won't regret it.
  • Jungle_Julie
    Jungle_Julie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started hitting a local outdoor track when I was 220lbs. One day some fitness jocks were there and I could tell they were pointing at me as I struggled to keep up with my running intervals. But, I stayed on that there track for 45 mins and finished my workout and held my head up high.

I wish that everyone was as supportive as you seem to be, But I believe that being fat is a choice that I made for myself and I wasn't about to let anyone interfere with my resolve to take control.

I ended up losing 80lbs before I got pregnant (and now I'm working on my 30 lbs of baby weight). And I paid it forward by befriending an obese teenager who started running on the same outdoor track, even showed her my before pics. She ended up losing an astounding 130lbs..
  • bspikes86
    bspikes86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i have about 150 pounds to lose. my friend about the same size as me got me into going to the gym with her. its the first time i have ever gone to a gym......i didnt realize how big i really am until yesterday. i have been doing different classes with my friend; Zumba, zumba tone, step and abs and last night we did a weight llifting class. my heart broke in the middle of class. it was very hard for me to continue. i watched myself in the mirror and realized how big i actually am. i was embarassed and surrounded by very fit girls. if my friend wasnt with me i probably would have left. i appreciate your post and i will pretend that everyone is thinking that way. i also try to think that if someone is judging me on my weight then they are just an *kitten* and i dont want to get to know them annyways
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Very well put. I don't think that there is ever a time to make fun of the fat girl because of her weight. Now if she is a terrible person who judges others, that is an entirely different matter. Just don't make fun of her weight.

Men and women are equally cruel. It's a shame that people are so quick to judge others or deem themselves superior.
    True. But people will make fun of fat people in public, harsh comments whispered under breaths -- both girls and guys, because people are inherently kind, but also inherently insensitive. The point of this post was to express my belief that the same people that make fun of a fat person Downtown at a club/restaurant, will not make fun of them in the gym.

The gym is an area of commonality. Go. Go because you should. Go because you are safe. Go. You are accepted. You are cheered, not jeered. You are pushed forward. Go.
  • Rompers616
    Rompers616 Posts: 307
    Options
    Now I feel better about going to the gym!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    nice post.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I started out really nervous about venturing into free weights, but in 4 months of lifting no one has ever been anything but nice or indifferent to me. And the changes to my body have been worth getting over my fears. Just do it. Maybe get a friend to go with you. You won't regret it.

It is normal to feel nervous. When I started I think I was 225 pounds, not sure because I didnt get on the scale for years....could have been more. The first time I went in I honestly sat in the women's locker room afraid to go out there. I didnt like what I saw in the mirror.

Then I said Self! Just do it.

and I did...and then did it again.
  • vanessark
    vanessark Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is exactly why I have avoided the gym. I've been hiding in my apartment doing work out videos because I'm embarrassed of what people will think watching me try to figure out my way around the gym. Eventually I'll get there. Until then I have 30 day shred and Insanity to get me by.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wish I could say this was true, but at my gym (I live on a military base in Okinawa, Japan) it is a bunch of super fit military members. The only overweight people you see are middle aged men. Plus, the gym is ALWAYS packed...I even tried going at 2 AM and there were 30 some odd people there giving me weird looks for hogging up their weights. I have to go run/walk at the track when it is 108 degrees because no one else is dumb enough to go out and do it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I love your post, OP, and couldn't agree more. I've often said on here that if someone is new to the gym and has questions, to not be afraid of those that are working out and in great shape. I've found my gyms to be very supportive places with people quite wiling to share advice or a spot. Of course the advice is sometimes great and sometimes not so great, but the sentiment is definitely there.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Weighing over 300 lbs, I was hesitant to go to the gym. I thought people would make fun of me or judge me. Then I realized, it's where I want to be and need to be, and if anyone wants to make fun of me, I can't really stop them from wasting their time like that. The more I go, the more people recognize me and are friendlier to me, and one super nice man even took the time to show me how to use some of the machines.

7396232.png
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This post reminds me of this post on the Flintland Blog:

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Also, I agree. If anyone had made fun of me my first month at the gym over a year and a half ago, I would have probably gone home and felt sh*tty about myself. The first year or so I gymmed it up, I purposely went during less trafficked time just to avoid people and their judgements only recently have I actually felt any sense of belonging there.