Healthy, yummy, filling breakfasts?

Options
Voelks
Voelks Posts: 8 Member
I had cheerios with blueberries this morning around 6:30 before biking to work and I'm already hungry again! Any suggestions for a more filling meal that's a fairly quick fix?

Replies

• Krystle_V
    Krystle_V Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut oats. I do it the night before in my slow cooker and add milk, cinnamon, ground flax seed and chopped apple. It's ready when I wake up in the morning and I just refrigerate the left overs for another day. Much more filling and tastier than cheerios in my opinion!
  • megganxrose
    megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Egg whites with salsa on a rice cake

Turkey egg cups (line muffin tin w/ turkey bacon, fill with egg whites and one yolk, a little piece of Laughing Cow cheese, stick in the oven)

Protein pancakes (thousands of recipes, I make a big batch on Sunday night and we eat them all week, I put peanut butter on mine and heat it up)

Fruit smoothies

Cottage cheese w/ fruit

You really just need to up your protein intake and you'll feel full until lunch.
  • lizreed12
    lizreed12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my breakfast of choice lately:

One whole wheat mini bagel sandwhich toasted with 2 egg whites, cheese, and a sprinkle of bacon bits and one apple, sliced, with almond butter. Keeps me going until lunch. Super satisfying and super tasty.
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    2 poached eggs on one piece of toast (190 calories)
    2 small cans of tuna (140 calories)

=330 calories, high protein, quick and extremely filling. I personally try to avoid a lot of carbs in the morning because it seems to make me hungrier.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    1/2Cup rolled oats
    1/2 a medium ripe banana mashed or chunks
    1/2 Tablespoon of chia seeds, ground flax, splenda brown sugar
    3/4 Cup almond milk or water
    Mix together and place in the fridge and let it sit overnight. In the morning warm in the microwave for 2 minutes then add 1/2 tablespoon of natural peanut butter and finally drizzle with honey.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourites, gives you a great filling protein/good fats hit, and can easily be made under 300 calories.

2 eggs + 1 egg white (or sometimes I do 1 egg + 2 egg whites and a dash of milk, whatever combination you prefer!)
    80g cottage cheese
    1 small garlic clove (feel free to omit if you don't like garlic -- I always use it because I love the stuff)
    Your choice of vegetables (I usually use about 50g spinach and 3 - 4 cherry tomatoes, plus whatever else is on hand in the fridge -- broccoli, capsicum, spring onions, asparagus all work beautifully)

Whisk the eggs and cottage cheese together. Cook the garlic and veggies in coconut oil in a frying pan. When veggies are nearly done, add the egg and cheese mix to the pan and scramble it all together. It's done when the eggs are opaque and fluffy and delicious-looking. Enjoy!
  • Voelks
    Options
    These all look like great ideas, thanks for the input. Protien!
  • Voelks
    Options
    Ok, those turkey egg cups look great. I'm going to try that next week.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving a McDonald's egg mcmuffin, this is my favorite healthy alternative:

whole wheat english muffin
    sliced hard boiled egg
    couple slices tomato
    some scallion
    dijon mustard

Sometimes I'll add half slice pepper jack cheese or some avacado. I put the english muffin in the toaster and when it pops up, put it all together and slide down into a ziploc bag to grab as I head out the door. By doing that, it stays warm and the cheese melts.

I got this from the skinnytaste website and its soooo good! I know its around 250 calories but not sure of the fat, carbs or protein content. Keeps me pretty full until lunchtime!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    This may sound odd, but this shake is awesome and filling. That's usually my weekly breakfast:

1 cup soy/almond beverage (I used vanilla)
    1/3 cup oatmeal
    1 table spoon of peanut butter
    1.5 tea spoon cinnamon
    1 or half a banana

Blend all together! YUM!
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    if i feel like having breakfast its usually a coffee and a breakfast sandwich. 2 egg whites, 1 slice of sargento ultra thin swiss cheese on an arnold whole wheat sandwich thin. bacon is optional. :)
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    will have to try some of these
  • yobetsyjo
    yobetsyjo Posts: 6
    Options
    Special K makes a protein cereal that has extra protein in it, I eat that with cut up banana and a couple raspberries.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Eggs, or yogurt - protein :-)
  • annabellep1
    annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Protein breakfast muffins! Make them before hand. They refrigerate and freeze well. Heat up in the microwave in about 30 seconds, or the oven, wrapped in foil, in about 15.

Preheat oven to 350.

5 farm fresh eggs, scrambled
    3 slices bacon, cooked & diced
    1/3 container herbed Chèvre, crumbled & divided
    two scallions, thinly sliced
    1 sprig basil or rosemary, diced
    sea salt & ground pepper medley to taste

Combine all ingredients except chevre and green onions. Grease 6-muffin tin with whatever you prefer. I use a very thin coat of leftover bacon grease. Put equal amounts chevre in bottom of each tin. Pour in egg mixture over cheese. Top with green onions. Bake for 20-30 minutes.

Per muffin:

Calories: 97
    Carbs: 1
    Fat: 7
    Protein: 8
    Sodium: 175
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    I love breakfast foods! I don't eat my breakfasts till 12 or so but here are mine(mind you, this is one of my two meals for the day)

Protein Pancakes:
    -1/2 cup egg whites
    -1 egg
    -1 scoop protein powder
    -1 cup spinach
    -1/4 cup buckwheat flour
    -1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    -Cinnamon and stevia to taste

Blend it and cook!

Breakfast Burrito
    -Joseph's flax and oat multi grain flat bread
    -1/2 cup egg whites
    -2 whole eggs
    -3 slices Hormel's all natural oven roasted turkey slices
    -1 slice cheese
    -I sprinkle cinnamon on top, too:)
  • sweetlyybroken
    sweetlyybroken Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is the answer! haha it's so good.

My current favorite:

1/2 cup oatmeal...

cook..

then mix in:
    1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    salt
    cinnamon! perfect!
  • jasons9
    jasons9 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have always been a fast food nut case and I really miss my Southwest Breakfast burritos from Burger King. So, I decided to start making them at home. I use one serving of egg whites instead of scrambled eggs, one sausage link chopped up (just enough to give it a sausage flavor), Put them both on a whole wheat wrap and add some raw vidalia onion and salsa. Wrap it up and throw the whole thing back on the hot pan or skillet just to toast the wrap a little. 189 calories and very yummy. Add some cheese if you like but it will add 100 calories to it. And unlike Burger King I skip the potatoes /hash browns.

I also like a half serving of Oatmeal and add some chopped up apple and cinnamon.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    4c33d152-4f4a-40f7-b5a5-97bc96ffee2c.jpg

I make a Green Smoothie. Looks like Sludge, but tastes pretty good, and it's great to sip on on the bo. I mkae it the night before, chill it in the fridge, then sip on it all morning. (Plus, no better way to gross out multiple on-lookers before 9am :drinker: )

It has:
    -2.5 Cups raw baby spinach
    -1 TBSP peanut butter (I use low fat)
    -1 cup almond milk
    -1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
    -1/2 cup frozen raspberries
    -1 banana
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump