Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

Options
13»

Replies

• iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree with this movie, in the sense that it worked for these two guys! They did this to reboot their systems from the inside out because mainly they were suffering from chronic uticaria. I am suffering from the same thing right now for the past 7 months, I have gone about 2 weeks without hives. The rest of the time I am covered in red, raised, itchy weals all over my body complimented with a side of angiodema for free on any given day.

These men were desperate after having dealt with this for nearly 7 years, I cannot imagine. I have been on high dosage steroids for short periods of time and it just does not help and is worse for your body. But after 7 years of this crap, I would be willing to try anything to get my life back.

My dr. says it is an autoimmune condition and they come from the inside out and there is nothing I can do about it. However, I refuse to give up and believe that we have to suffer with this condition. Although it never goes away, this movie is proof that with food, we can reboot our bodies, and hopefully our immune system.

As for what I am going to "get out of my body" is the toxins that my body is reacting to. Even though that sometimes includes healthy food like fruits and veggies. Until the immune system is reset, the body will keep attacking itself due to increased inflammation.

Those with autoimmune issues usually have a tougher time with too much protein anyways, As I have learned too much beef has increased my hives.

The way I see it, both these men were medically supervised and did not suffer ill effects from the fast and it is not meant to be for long periods of time. As it has been said before, the main intention was from a nutrition standpoint and to address the chronic urticaria they were both experience.

When Joe came off the juicing he returned to eating a balanced diet and seems to be doing great and still is from what I can tell. As far as the content of their juices daily, I don't think anyone would be able to get that many fruits and veggies in in one day.

I am considering this as an option for a short term to see if it helps reset my body so that I may enjoy more foods and stop these crazy hives.
  • Woodrow1234
    Woodrow1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love fresh juice (I have a Breville) as a part of a healthy diet, but I just haven't been able to get past throwing that massive amount of fiber out. I ended up getting a Vitamix and love it.

I was going to have some baked chicken with salad and fruit for lunch today, but decided to toss the salad (a couple cups of spinach and lettuce) into the vitamix with some apples, water, and ice (sprinkle of stevia leaves). I'll often include a banana and dried goji berries or whole roasted almonds (something that can't be juiced) and that's awesome.

The Breville has been on the shelf ever since I got the Vitamix. Also...the vitamix (at least this model) has a self-cleaning setting. I just rinse, add water and a drop of soap and it does the rest.

I've heard that the nutribullet is really good too, but the container isn't as big. I understand it does a reasonable job of breaking down the food though.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The guys in the show were morbidly obese and at risk of sudden death at the time they started the juice fast. For them it was a way to initially lose weight quickly to potentially save their lives. It was all done under medical supervision.

For most people with a smaller amount of weight to lose this would not be recommended as the body does not have enough fat stores to make up the huge deficit and will start wasting muscle for energy.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    agree with the above poster
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Drink juice, don't diet on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I feel like you are better off eating the fruits and veggies instead of juicing them, you will get a lot more nutritional value from them plus it will fill you up more.

This is my opinion EXACTLY! However, my BFF tried it. she gave in and gave it up. She said it ended up being time consuming and not terribly easy to maintain for her schedule/work/life.

I personally, would miss chewing too much. I'm a BIG eater and crunching through some veg sometimes is my binge substitute. I need to "fill up" and chew. So wouldn't be a good thing for me.
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm seriously considering doing a 30-60 day fast so looking at peoples answers.

I agree that the cost of the fruit and veg will add up considerably though.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I forgot! My BFF said her favorite juice recipe was 2 apples, some spinach and a sleeve of thin mints... She's so funny.

Not helpful, but thought you'd appreciate the joke :laugh:
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I saw it 2 to 3 years ago. I bought a Breville juicer and instead of "fasting", I replaced my lunch with a green drink. I actually changed my whole diet around along with bike riding.

I still have it for lunch daily. I did notice a lot of changes, those that have done it and stayed with it know what I mean. Healthy skin, energy all around health (no more colds). Prepare for the detox phase.

If I did it all over again, I would have just bought a Vitamix and made a green drink that way. I own both now and alternate between the two. I am building a garden soon and will use the pulp from the juicer on my compost pile.

As with anything...30 days of this or that won't last long. A diet is not something that is 1 week, 2 weeks or 1 month. It should be a lifestyle/eating change forever.

The reason I juice my lunch is I put it in a polar bottle with ice and it goes on my road bike when I go to work. I was getting tired of hauling a few pounds of veggies on my back :)
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love fresh juice (I have a Breville) as a part of a healthy diet, but I just haven't been able to get past throwing that massive amount of fiber out. I ended up getting a Vitamix and love it.

I was going to have some baked chicken with salad and fruit for lunch today, but decided to toss the salad (a couple cups of spinach and lettuce) into the vitamix with some apples, water, and ice (sprinkle of stevia leaves). I'll often include a banana and dried goji berries or whole roasted almonds (something that can't be juiced) and that's awesome.

The Breville has been on the shelf ever since I got the Vitamix. Also...the vitamix (at least this model) has a self-cleaning setting. I just rinse, add water and a drop of soap and it does the rest.

I've heard that the nutribullet is really good too, but the container isn't as big. I understand it does a reasonable job of breaking down the food though.

Wow, if you had my profile pic, I would think I posted this...lol...this is EXACTLY what I do...haa haa haa haa!!!
  • Woodrow1234
    Woodrow1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am building a garden soon and will use the pulp from the juicer on my compost pile.

I put in my 600 sq foot (11 raised beds) garden this year and it's awesome! I have a full 8 x 16 bed devoted to lettuce and spinach. 12 heirloom tomato plants, onions, melons, peppers, carrots, and tons of herbs including stevia. I have three compost bins (nice rolling ones) right next to the bed and 6 hens (they make great compost - and eggs). I'm building a greenhouse for an aquaponics system this fall. Do the garden - you'll love it.