"The Time to Make Fun of the Fat Girl...

Options

Replies

• irbluebutterfly
    irbluebutterfly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. It seems to have made a difference to quite a few people.

My $0.02:

Haters gonna hate. Fortunately, most people aren't straight up asshats, but for those that are it's not going to matter if you're a size 28 or a size 4 - anyone can find something wrong if they're inclined to look for it. (IMO, some women just get cattier the more of a competitor you become)

As an enormously self-conscious person (so I can relate to the gymtimidation), I recommend popping in the earbuds, getting into your motivated head space and remind yourself that this is for you - who cares what anyone else thinks?
  • SeatownTilt
    Options
    Because of him I went from a 16 to an 8 (and I cried in the dressing room when those 8's fit :smile: )

I love those moments when the emotion hits you. This is why you sweat, this is why you push through the pain, and it could never be sweeter. Congrats!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    ...is not at the gym."

I wonder if some people don't start working out because they are embarrassed, that they are afraid of what people think of them when they are at a gym surrounded by people that have been there for years.

I want to say that in my experience, everyone at the gym is supportive and glad you are there. They may think, "that person has a long way to go." True, those thoughts happen, but that observation is quickly overtaken a thousand-fold by thoughts like, "I am happy they are here. I don't want to seem rude by saying on day 30 that I have noticed they are here nearly every day, and good job." Instead, I just think to myself that, "if they ever need help and I am asked, I will help. If they ever need support, I will be not just be supportive, but a fan."

Fitness is such a universally difficult thing that, I think, the one place you are free from mean critiques is in the gym, or walking/running outside. Everyone is pulling for you in these places. Everyone.

Seriously....I just fell in love with you a little bit here.:blushing:

Me too! :smile:

Me three! I've just now gotten to the point where I enjoy working out, and when I see people making the effort, it makes me work even harder. We're all in it together, some are just further along than I.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif
  • melyndavaz
    melyndavaz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ...is not at the gym."

I wonder if some people don't start working out because they are embarrassed, that they are afraid of what people think of them when they are at a gym surrounded by people that have been there for years.

I want to say that in my experience, everyone at the gym is supportive and glad you are there. They may think, "that person has a long way to go." True, those thoughts happen, but that observation is quickly overtaken a thousand-fold by thoughts like, "I am happy they are here. I don't want to seem rude by saying on day 30 that I have noticed they are here nearly every day, and good job." Instead, I just think to myself that, "if they ever need help and I am asked, I will help. If they ever need support, I will be not just be supportive, but a fan."

Fitness is such a universally difficult thing that, I think, the one place you are free from mean critiques is in the gym, or walking/running outside. Everyone is pulling for you in these places. Everyone.

You brought tears to my eyes; I REALLY needed to read this. These very fears kept me away from the gym for so long. I have just recently started walking/jogging at the gyms outside trail. I feel so good when i'm there but still find myself wondering if people are paying attention. Thank you for writing this!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy this post. And well it's the way I like to live my life.

I love my gym, I love going there, I love everybody I see working hard to attain a goal just like myself. And quite honestly I don't care what their current physical shape is.
    They are there just like me.
    I don't care what you lift, I don't care if you don't sweat, I don't care if you wear make up, don't care if you grunt, don't care if you weight 5x my weight.
    To me the gym is like my church(I hope that offends nobody) and so... anybody else there.. well it's a beautiful thing.

Just lay off on the cologne.

My personal theory is people who run through life hating everybody and mocking everybody.... well their lives just plain suck and they are trying to seem big however they can.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Your post is lovely. Too bad your prior posts reek of self-importance and general doucheyness.

Love,

A "pudgie" who you didn't make "love" to.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Your post is lovely. Too bad your prior posts reek of self-importance and general doucheyness.

Love,

Why do people think that if you are harsh once you are always a grey unpolished stone? Stones can be good. Think of King Arthur. Rocks built camelot as surely as aspiration, hard work, and a poet's turn of phrase. Without the stone there is no sword. Without love there are no loyal followers willing to pile those rocks high for a better kingdom. Without poets there is no dream of a round table. I appreciate all the comments here.

But wrong and right are not the same as rough and easy. We all are both in some ways.

None of us is Camelot.

Please focus on the point of this post, which is to honestly support each other. Not in a fake way. Not to say, "we care keep trying," but in a real world acknowledgment that when you work hard, others work with you, not against. When you push and pull for the right reasons, not one person is pulling against you...not even the stone.
  • Rompers616
    Rompers616 Posts: 307
    Options
    Dear OP,

Love,

Why do people think that if you are harsh once you are always a grey unpolished stone? Stones can be good. Think of King Arthur. Rocks built camelot as surely as aspiration, hard work, and a poet's turn of phrase. Without the stone there is no sword. Without love there are no loyal followers willing to pile those rocks high for a better kingdom. Without poets there is no dream of a round table. I appreciate all the comments here.

But wrong and right are not the same as rough and easy. We all are both in some ways.

None of us is Camelot.

Please focus on the point of this post, which is to honestly support each other. Not in a fake way. Not to say, "we care keep trying," but in a real world acknowledgment that when you work hard, others work with you, not against. When you push and pull for the right reasons, not one person is pulling against you...not even then stone.

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear.....

Is this one of those posts to encourage unfit people to use the gym, or is this one of those posts where a fit person patronises the hell out of unfit people and then gives themselves a big old round of self-congratulationary applause for taking the time out to be nice to those poor, little fat folk?
  • NathanFronk
    Options
    Just to be clear.....

Is this one of those posts to encourage unfit people to use the gym, or is this one of those posts where a fit person patronises the hell out of unfit people and then gives themselves a big old round of self-congratulationary applause for taking the time out to be nice to those poor, little fat folk?
    Neither. To explain the atmosphere at my gym, and I expect most gyms. People are supportive if you give them the chance to be.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Love,

None of us is Camelot.

Please focus on the point of this post, which is to honestly support each other. Not in a fake way. Not to say, "we care keep trying," but in a real world acknowledgment that when you work hard, others work with you, not against. When you push and pull for the right reasons, not one person is pulling against you...not even the stone.
    To answer your question, it's because you only get one chance to make a first impression. And a first impression is a lasting one, usually imprinted on one's memory indefinitely.

The sentiment of the post is nice, but I'm sure a lot of people won't take much to heart because of your past behaviors.
  • NathanFronk
    Options
    Dear OP,

Love,

None of us is Camelot.

To answer your question, it's because you only get one chance to make a first impression. And a first impression is a lasting one, usually imprinted on one's memory indefinitely.

The sentiment of the post is nice, but I'm sure a lot of people won't take much to heart because of your past behaviors.

Eck.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I never stepped foot in a gym before because of how overweight I was. I felt like I was a lost cause and that people would just laugh at me.
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wish I felt comfortable enough to go to the gym, but whenever I do and I'm working out really hard, I turn BRIGHT red. Practically a walking tomato and definitely get a lot of stares. I've always turned bright red when working out though, even when I was less heavy... still not a pretty sight and I always get "ARE YOU OKAY?! YOU LOOK LIKE YOU MIGHT PASS OUT!"
  • NathanFronk
    Options
    I never stepped foot in a gym before because of how overweight I was. I felt like I was a lost cause and that people would just laugh at me.
    Not true. Believe me.
  • NathanFronk
    Options
    I wish I felt comfortable enough to go to the gym, but whenever I do and I'm working out really hard, I turn BRIGHT red. Practically a walking tomato and definitely get a lot of stares. I've always turned bright red when working out though, even when I was less heavy... still not a pretty sight and I always get "ARE YOU OKAY?! YOU LOOK LIKE YOU MIGHT PASS OUT!"
    There are worse things to be than a walking tornado. Things are happening in tornadoes. Wind and earth and weather are colliding and the sun is shouting jealously at the clouds it cannot see through. Interesting.

Or you could be a walking barnacle. Now that would be sad.
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    lol tomato, not tornado. ;) Although, I'm sure my hair looks like it after a workout as well.
  • NathanFronk
    Options
    lol tomato, not tornado. ;) Although, I'm sure my hair looks like it after a workout as well.
    Oops. :)

There are worse thing to be than a walking tomato. Tomatoes are bright and summer and the color of blush, and the envy of potatoes everywhere.

You could be a potato. Now that is sad.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Not true. Believe me.

So NOT true! I am a gym rat, and I love to see people of any size giving it their all. I would never judge anyone for making the effort. At my gym, there are people of all sizes, ages, etc., and no one there is perfect. There is nothing to be afraid of at the gym. Just go and do your thing and don't worry about others.