How often do you check the scale?

Options

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Daily, after taking a shower. I log every Friday.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    daily. its an addiction.

Yep. Sometimes twice.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Wake, pee, weigh.

Not to check my daily weight so much as to learn about daily fluctuations and chart it!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Why after a shower. I never understand this, but I see all the guys do it at the gym. Not to side track this, but you have all this water and moisture in your skin. It weighs more. Weigh dry before shower. I don't know why, but it drives me nuts. Lol. Don't mind me. Carry on.
    I don't do this but as long as they do it consistently this way, it should track daily fluctuations the same.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    first thing every morning. i am better in the evening knowing i have to face the scale in the morning
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I check the scale twice a month. The 15th and the last day of the month!!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Never!!! Why? Its about your size. right? So I measure!!

Besides:
    Here are my 6 reasons why your weight (in lbs, kg, tons, whatever) really means very little in the grand scheme of health, fitness & fat loss: 1) Muscle. Muscle weighs MORE than fat in LESS SPACE. 2) Water weight. You can literally gain up to 5-7 lbs within the same day! 3) Your weight is not an accurate reflection of how you look in clothes or on stage. Your body fat % dictates what dress size you wear, though two people can wear the exact same size and look completely different. 4) Your weight is not always an accurate measure of health. Ever hear of “skinny fat?” This is someone who tends to have a higher metabolism, stays thin, but is flabby with a high body fat percentage. 5) Your ego. Let’s face it, you get an ego boost when you weigh yourself and get a lower number. How do you respond when the number goes UP? 6) Playing with your self-worth. If we are losing weight, we are good. If we are gaining weight, we are a failure? “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” –Eleanor Roosevelt http://jillfit.com/2011/12/20/weight-means-nothing/
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Once every 2-3 weeks, in the weekend and in the morning before eating, showering etc. I'm in maintenance though :wink:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I don't get discouraged (anymore) by the ups and downs so it works for me!
  • schmeckpeper
    schmeckpeper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily every morning after the bathroom. I only record and log new lows however. Weight does fluctuate but I feel this is how I'm learning about my body. How my action yesterday affect the scale today. I don't freak. A few days ago I was up 6 pounds!!!! Lots of water and after lifting heavy. Past two days have been an all time new low trend.

I will also weigh most evenings around 5:00 before dinner to let my scale do its body fat & muscle analysis (this was the recommended time of day to do it). I only log new body fat lows and new muscle highs.

Keeps me accountable. I will NOT let me weight creep up on me again.....EVER! Daily it is! Just can't freak out or be unwilling to do something about it when you really feel you've gained fat (not water).
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Why after a shower. I never understand this, but I see all the guys do it at the gym. Not to side track this, but you have all this water and moisture in your skin. It weighs more. Weigh dry before shower. I don't know why, but it drives me nuts. Lol

Don't mind me. Carry on.

When I used to care about daily weight I would weigh before and after and I can not explain it one bit but I would weigh ounces less after my shower...it made no sense but it was there in red!
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Now~Once a week because I'm keeping track through my pregnancy.

Before~Once a month when I got my body fat checked at my chiro office.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    This is just a poll / curiosity question for the people of MFP:

How often do you check your scale?
    If it happens to be once a week, do you have a certain day you check your scale on?

I checked last month. It was a bit dusty but it was still there.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month, if that. I don't think the scale is an accurate indicator of fat loss. I prefer to measure inches and go off how I feel.

^^^This. I refuse to even own a scale because I'd probably become obsessed with weighing daily.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Options

I checked last month. It was a bit dusty but it was still there.

lmao!!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    every morning after bathroom, wearing undergarments. it helps me stay on track and not gain personally. but I only log once a week.. on Sunday mornings to see a trend.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Why after a shower. I never understand this, but I see all the guys do it at the gym. Not to side track this, but you have all this water and moisture in your skin. It weighs more. Weigh dry before shower. I don't know why, but it drives me nuts. Lol

Don't mind me. Carry on.

When I used to care about daily weight I would weigh before and after and I can not explain it one bit but I would weigh ounces less after my shower...it made no sense but it was there in red!

Yep--this! I don't know why or how, but I've done it about 20 times now (over the past 3 or 4 months) and had that result. Surprises me every time!!!
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Every day when I wake up. I know alot of people say you shouldn't, but the scale is my daily motivator and dare I say my friend? It tells me to push harder wether the results are great or not. Today I lost but not as much as I wanted, so Mr. Scale just looked at me and said extra 30 at the gym? And damn it he's right lol. But I know the scale is not the only measure of weight loss, or rather health. When the scale doesn't move I look to my inches or the fact that I can go harder and longer at the gym.