How much cardio before lifting?

So, if I am going to lift in the evening, having already done a running or biking workout in the morning, how much of a cardio warm up do I need? I have read that I should do at least 20 min of cardio, but do I need to do that on top of having done a longer workout in the morning?

Replies

• jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    20 minutes of cardio before lifting is excessive. I warm-up with light sets. warming up with cardio before weight training is not necessary :)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Personally I don't do any, other than walking up the stairs to the weight room. I do lift specific warm up before my sets though, so if I'm doing bench I'll do a set with no weight, just the bar, then I'll do a set with 50 pounds and then start my sets. I do that for every exercise. when I'm done lifting I usually get a good stretch and hit the pool for my cardio. Your mileage may vary, but that's what I do.

Rigger
  • runninghannah
    runninghannah Posts: 10 Member
    Wow! Thanks for the quick replies.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I never do any cardio before I lift. Even on days that I have both lifting and cardio scheduled, I lift first, with no warm-up prior, then do my cardio. (I don't split the workouts, I just do 'em back to back)

This also keeps the benches from getting soaked from my post run sweatiness. :)
  • It's best to do cardio after lifting. You burn your glycogen during lifting and then can burn fat during cardio afterwards.
  • girlsjustwanna13
    girlsjustwanna13 Posts: 20 Member
    1500 metres on the rowing machine will warm you up nicely!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Until you are warm, literally.
    3 minutes?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    I do like 30 seconds of jump rope before lifting.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Cardio after lifting for me.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    10 minute warm up on the treadmill before lifting, then 15-20 minutes on either the elliptical or stationary bike post lifting.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    No cardio before lifting. Ever. Cardio needs to be done after lifting.

Some people do a 5 minute cardio warmup before lifting but, honestly, light weights make for a better warmup for lifting.
  • As another member posted you can use light weight to warm up or simple calisthenics to get the heart rate up. Don't run on a treadmill or ride a bike for 20-30 min and expect optimal performance during your weight training.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I do cardio before and after lifting - I run to the gym and home (3 miles round trip). This works for me but I have no idea if it is the "best" way to do it. Is it necessary? I doubt it. I just like it
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I kinda plod on the treadmill for about 5 minutes, while reading a book (to give an idea of how fast I'm not going) Sometimes shorter, if I feel 'warm'.
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Lighter sets for me
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    I do about 10 minutes on the elliptical first, just to wake me up and get me energized. I also do some really light sets of my lifts to warm up. I go back on the elliptical for another 20 minutes after my lifting. It's what fits my goals, but yours may be different.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Oh shoot, I didn't even know this was a thing. Why? Why do you all warm up first before lifting. I only warm up for certain things but not this. La, la, la la la.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Oh shoot, I didn't even know this was a thing. Why? Why do you all warm up first before lifting. I only warm up for certain things but not this. La, la, la la la.

Bahahahaha! I warm up with cardio because I want the adrenaline kick first to get me hyped up and feeling all tough before lifting the heavy stuff. Plus, it gets me red faced and sweaty, which makes me look legit at the gym.

Perhaps some jolts of espresso would do the same thing. But, you know, the elliptical is right there and it's easy enough to get on it.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Light sets simples
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    i just do warm up sets for each lift.

1. empty bar x 5
    2. 50% working weight x 5
    3. 75% working weight x 2