How do I get the lean look people?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations as to which program I could begin..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer-intro.html
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You need strength training. (Body Beast isn't strength training).

I thought it was strength training with a lot of supersets etc? However, I am unwilling to pay £50 for a dvd to find out when there are loads of strength training programs/tips/regimes that you can get for nothing .
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations as to which program I could begin..

Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

Stronglifts 5x5 (it's mostly the same as starting strength, but starting strength is a book that has a ton of extremely useful info in it, while stronglifts is just the basic program.... even if you do stronglifts, I'd recommend learning the correct form for lifts from Rippetoe's videos on you tube)
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have done Body Beast a few times, I actually did Chest workout this morning.

Kind of going for a Christian Bale in American Psycho look...

I think it's time to beef up!!

:devil:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You need strength training. (Body Beast isn't strength training).

I thought it was strength training with a lot of supersets etc? However, I am unwilling to pay £50 for a dvd to find out when there are loads of strength training programs/tips/regimes that you can get for nothing .

Hmm looks like you're right... seems to be a DVD-based lifting program focused on isolation exercises. Hehe weird.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Clean eating, and lifting.
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    lift!!!!!!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Combination of changes to your training regime and nutrition plan.

Training - Step away from the DVD workouts and pick up some iron. Start a strength/weights training program. There's a lot available on Bodybuilding.com - find one that will suit your schedule. Doing a 5 day program that you can only commit 3-4 days a week on can potentially affect your progress. Cut back on long cardio sessions and maybe consider HIIT if you're currently doing more steady state cardio.

Nutrition - New muscle growth needs more calories consumed so eat at a surplus. Make sure you're consuming enough carbs and protein for fuel and recovery. There are heaps of calculators online that can assist with estimating your macros (carbs/protein/fat) and should also give you a calorie goal based off your current stats with the goal of adding muscle mass.

Good luck!
  • babychris1
    Options
    Lifting has begun.. Time to get all kinds of gainzzz
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the diet. If you don't eat at a surplus, you might be disappointed with the results of lifting.
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    lean look....two things....yoga and pilates....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Lifting has begun.. Time to get all kinds of gainzzz

I'd recommend checking out this program:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

This will require you to learn the barbell lifts. It is not an absolute necessity and it is not the only program or only method that can get you to your goals, but the time investment that you would need to spend to learn how to squat/press/deadlift will pay potential benefits later, and this is increasingly true if you plan on doing this long-term. That, and most people find these lifts really freakin' FUN especially as you get stronger and stronger.

I would do the program exactly as it is written and I would check out some tutorials on proper barbell lifting. Mark Rippetoe has some good videos on youtube to get you started. You can also post video form checks in our group (Eat, Train, Progress) for review/commentary.

EDIT: As someone mentioned above, you will also likely need to be eating in a small calorie surplus and plan on gaining some weight for a while. You can get some background information here for proper setting of calories/macronutrients.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • maecrocker
    maecrocker Posts: 56
    Options
    bump. lots of good refs and cites in here
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If you aren't accustomed to free weight training, it can be daunting. I do a variety of work-outs, but when I started I started with Bill Phillips "Body for Life". Body for Life has a great website with lots of demos and the program isn't an overwhelming gush of information about macros, periodization, split routines, etc.

Long time lifters don't love Phillips, but he's a good starting point and you will see results which will encourage you to continue.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Chris you need to man up and hit the weights.Eat lots of protein!!

Last time I was 147 pounds I was 15 years old.

this ^
  • babychris1
    Options
    Chris you need to man up and hit the weights.Eat lots of protein!!

Last time I was 147 pounds I was 15 years old.

this ^

To be 15 again... :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program.

Me too....I started with Starting Strength, but I enjoy this program much more. SS was good exposure to those big lifts though. I just ultimately got to the point where I couldn't do **** else fitness wise because squatting 3x weekly was just really taking it's toll.
  • sagordon
    sagordon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into Adonis? It's just fr men. I am doing the women's version, Venus Index. I love it and am getting results.