Going low carb! Who is with me?

Options

Replies

• Spazgirl0228
    Options
    After getting advice from Jules, I have figured out my macros and 40 net carbs would be way too low for me. I am going to have to do some tweaking to my meal plan ;) I will post my new one later on.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

this is the calulator she showed me and it is good!

Rachel
  • Iron_Women
    Options
    look into the program iifym.com it really helps figure out great numbers that work for you... not cookie cutter numbers
  • ShanStar78
    ShanStar78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How many Carbs is considered Low Carb! I am 5'2 and wonder how much I should have MFP sets me at 165 per day?!!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It differs from person to person. MFP's defaults set carbs way too high and protein way too low. This link has been posted which is an online calculator to work out your macro targets

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Just plug in some numbers and you'll have some better figures to work with. Remember, it's just an online estimate obtained via a couple of algorithms and the info you provide. You can always tweak a bit from there to suit you better.
    How many Carbs is considered Low Carb! I am 5'2 and wonder how much I should have MFP sets me at 165 per day?!!
  • myralou88
    myralou88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do it and I'm all good as long as I stay under 100 carbs/day. But now carbs are my cheat food -- I fantasize about a big bowl of oatmeal with bananas more than I do about pizza!
  • rjs0416
    rjs0416 Posts: 23
    Options
    There's a reason why people were much skinnier before the 50's. When the American government started advising a low-fat over low-carb diet, the average weight of Americans drastically increased.

Eating fat in a diet doesn't make one fat. Eating carbs, which digest quickly and get stored in fat cells because the energy isn't quickly burned off does.

Need a boost of quick energy for an intense workout, run, or sporting event? Have a plate of wheat pasta. No need for significant amount of carbs otherwise.

I won't go low-carb with you simply given the fact that the good fruits and veggies we need fall under carbs. I will, however, promise to go low processed carbs :-)
  • mikecalm1999
    mikecalm1999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in as well. will do low carb high fat. Monday starting as well. I will write more tomorrow. Wish you all good luck.
  • lbowers220
    Options
    I've been doing it 3 months. I'm in. I eat less than 50 grams a day and make sure to work out 45 to 60 minutes a day 5 or 6 times a week. I'm a meat eater and this way of life is great for me. Sometimes my fitness pal will make ya cringe though at the calories, LOL! Ignore them! :)
  • shezll
    shezll Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do low carb high fat too if you would like to add me.
  • Spazgirl0228
    Options
    this calculator helped me a lot! if you are unsure about how much you should be eating, use this!
  • Spazgirl0228
    Options
    Great! After getting some advice I have decided not to go low carb, but yes I will go low processed carbs ;) I will stick to complex carbs like fruit, vegetables, sweet potatoes, etc.
  • lbowers220
    Options
    Years ago I went to a diet doctor. He said 50 grams a day to lose weight and I did and it was very easy to start losing. There was no induction. His only recommendation was 1 cup of coffee and only 1 diet soda a day. Basically we were told meat, cheese, eggs and salad. It works.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested under 100 and he also suggested one of the newer ideas such as paleo or primal. There is also a Paleo group on here that is very helpful. I was going to drop my carbs this week but my menu isn't suitable. Not enough money to do over either. Best of luck to you.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    another thing you can supplement with is the pre-made shakes. I prefer E,A,S, Advantedge shakes. they taste the best and I keep them in the refrig for those times when I don't HAVE time. The string cheese is another goodie and my best all-time bread saver for low carb is at Walmart in their deli dept. JOSEPHS flax and oat bran lavash bread wraps. Entire sheet is oly 100 cals and a serving is 50 or half of the sheet. I even cut those in half for a quick sammie. I use these as lasagna noodles and as tortillas, and I cut them in bite size pieces spray with olive oil and come celery salt and I toast them on both sides in the oven. Makes a wonderful treat for the movies OR to use as a crunchy in your soups or salads OR just to crunch when you need a crunchy thing. Good luck--I found the first month kinda slow with the low carbs--BUT now I am to the point I use good carbs and NO bad carbs. I pre-think everything I eat. I don't even use brown rice. I use cauliflower rice, and put it under spaghetti as well.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Great! After getting some advice I have decided not to go low carb, but yes I will go low processed carbs ;) I will stick to complex carbs like fruit, vegetables, sweet potatoes, etc.

That is mostly what low fathers eat as well. First thing anyone should do going low carb is get rid of the processed carbage. Then start focusing on limiting from grains like bread, pasta, and rice.
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Almost all meat have 0 carbs: Chicken, fish, shrimp, runs, brisket, steak, sausage, bacon,tuna, pork, beef, & even most lunch meats are low in carb.
    Gouda cheese slices are good for protein and low carb--melts easy too

Quest protein bars are Yummy

salad--- taco salad, dinner salad, chicken, fajita salad,
    eggs--deviled eggs, or cooked any way. I fix at times over easy eggs in the place of potatoes for dinner at night.

Beans---They do have carbs in them but they also hv protein. I fix refried beans a lot at dinner time.

Green beans--- onion powder, garlic,, real bacon bits-- I cook on low the whole tIm Im cooking dinner. I now love green beans cooking them this way.

lots of veggies are low carbs except corn

ranch dressing in moderation---it is high calorie though. lots of other good dressings that are carb friendly

cheese--processed cheese is higher in carbs I would stay away from this. Sliced gouda cheese is very good. Protein plus It melts easy.

A good snack is cheese sticks--- weight watchers has some good ones.

beef stick, jerky for snack. Turkey bits, peanuts and almonds portioned out

fat free cream cheese is low in carbs

Yogurt: Danon light & fit Greek yogurt is a good protein source n good snack.

Sugar free popsicles hv 4 carbs and are 15 calories. Its a good snack to me.

flatout bread (light) 16 carb, 9 fiber=7 net carbs, 9 protein,
    Josephs heart healthy pita bread 10 carbs, 5 fiber=5 net carbs, 7 protein and josephs flax oat bran and whole wheat lavish bread 7 carbs, 3 fiber=4 net carbs, 5 protein.
    All of these are very good. Excellent to make your lunch. Roll your meat, cheese, spinach leaf or lettuce whatever you put in it. You can fix eggs, sausage, onions, ham, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, salsa and roll up and eat.
    I toast the pita bread by spraying Pam in a skillet and toast on each side. You can make tostados or fold in half and make tacos and Hot sandwiches

Hamburger meat is high in fat but learning to eat like this you need some fat.
    Turkey burgers

Pork rinds---0 carbs. Good snack and awesome to use to bread meat!!!! I make your parmesan chicken breading with pork rinds
    Grind pork rinds up--- add seasoning such as Italian, onion powder, garlic powder, Greek , poultry seasoning, ect
    Yummy

For quick easy ideas there is frozen chicken and beef fajita meat add your healthy veggies that you want-- low carb ones.

Kochs oven cravers pepper jack, swiss and bacon chicken--- found in the freezer section

Protein pancakes are AWESOME! feels like you're cheating lol

2 oz fat free cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 tsp cinnamon

Mix well, spray Pam in pan and pour in hot skillet cook.
    208 calories
    6.6 carbs
    20 protein

Topping ideas:
    Cinnamon
    sugar free cool whip
    Spray butter has zero carbs ( i can't believe its not butter)
    Roll meat in them and eatem
    I bet spreading yogurt on them would be good
    cottage cheese

There are lots of crockpot recipes out there.Here is one

4 frozen chicken beast-- place in crockpot after spraying with pam
    Mix:. 1 pkg dry ranch mix
    1pkg taco seasoning
    1 jar of salsa
    1 can rotel (optional)
    Cheese---I have used weight watchers shredded or velveeta

pour over chicken and cook 4-6 hours. Shred chicken with fork then add some cheese cook until cheese is melted.
    Great by itself or on tacos, salad, tostados---eating on Joseph's pita bread

");
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I try to do 30-60 net carbs but I do flucuate and do more/less at times. I also try to do at least 20+ more protein than I do carbs daily, now again I flucuate a few times a weeks so this isn't what I strive for daily. My husband has been doing 30-80 carbs daily, 90+ protein and 1900 calories since June 3rd and has lost 22 lbs. He's been doing very good. I do this as a way of life eating not as a diet. This is probably how I will always eat with it flucuating here and there. I don't do wht MFP suggest because I think it's too high for carbs and too low for protein when you're trying to lose weight. I log and manage on MFP though
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    For those who asked, anything under 130g is considered low carb and under 50g is considered a very low carb ketogenic diet.
    Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
    Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
    Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories
    http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/what-is-a-low-carb-diet-researchers-have-now-defined-it/6648