Glee's Cory Monteith, found dead in an Hotel Room

Options
124»

Replies

• pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to have offended once more, but she's obviously quite intelligent and I'm a big girl. I can handle worse than that, and I have. I truly would prefer a varied selection of rudeness or namecalling than one stale pseudonym thrown at me again and again.

In this case, the word you seem to be looking for would likely be "epithet"; pseudonym implies a name you've chosen to go by and unless you plan on using "bellend" as a stagename...!

But dude, seriously. Rule #1 of internet engagements is to step away from the computer (or at the very least, from the area of the internet that is causing you issues) until you've cooled down and calmed down. There is a very big reason why I stay away from Reddit (hint: it has to do with mansplaining and whining.) The problem with the internet is that even when you've tired of the discussion or argument or debate, or however you want to describe it, it's been cached. It's here. Whilst we haven't quite managed to dip into Godwin's Law. Internet. Escalation. Isn't it a fab thing.

Disagreements happen; handling them classily (this is for all involved, really, as this entire thread is one trainwreck) is a choice. The subject of death is and always will be touchy, particularly with regards to celebrities due to the cult of celebrity that exists in the modern age.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy this, I didn't aim for this, and if I could do this over, I would in a heartbeat.

But I can't, and I won't apologize for my opinion. For its presentation? Absolutely.

*sigh* Last post, and then I'm going to bed. For real this time.

With respect, I Will Be the Swan, I think your best course of action at this point would be to step back and stop posting. You say that you don't enjoy any of this, and yet you continue to respond, often inappropriately.
    Hopefully you've learned something here. Now it would be wise to stop dragging out this conversation and turn back to the thread's original purpose: discussion of Cory Monteith's life and death.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Drug overdose. Got what he deserved, you take drugs that are KNOWN to kill you then you get what's coming to you. No sympathy from me.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, back on topic....

I honestly feel for those that knew him personally, and I hope he doesn't get too bashed in the media.

It's a shame if it's an overdose, but the fact that he sought help means that he was trying to overcome it at some point.
    His family and friends are real people (Canadians to boot!) and they don't deserve to have to read/hear people bashing him after death.

Sure, he was in the spotlight due to his career, but if he wasn't your fav, just move on. There's really no need to throw out words to demean him after death. When a "regular" person dies, do you go around saying "yeah well he was **** at using Excel, so good riddance,"?... I sincerely hope not.

He was a person who, like the rest of us, made some bad choices. Leave him and his loved ones be. Just put the stick down, he's dead. Not to mention, you probably didn't know him personally, so why are you so concerned about voicing your opinions of him?

A young man lost too soon; that's all I see.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    I'm sorry to have offended once more, but she's obviously quite intelligent and I'm a big girl. I can handle worse than that, and I have. I truly would prefer a varied selection of rudeness or namecalling than one stale pseudonym thrown at me again and again.

In this case, the word you seem to be looking for would likely be "epithet"; pseudonym implies a name you've chosen to go by and unless you plan on using "bellend" as a stagename...!

But dude, seriously. Rule #1 of internet engagements is to step away from the computer (or at the very least, from the area of the internet that is causing you issues) until you've cooled down and calmed down. There is a very big reason why I stay away from Reddit (hint: it has to do with mansplaining and whining.) The problem with the internet is that even when you've tired of the discussion or argument or debate, or however you want to describe it, it's been cached. It's here. Whilst we haven't quite managed to dip into Godwin's Law, we have managed to happen upon West Boro Church comparisons and hey. Internet. Escalation. Isn't it a fab thing.

Disagreements happen; handling them classily (this is for all involved, really, as this entire thread is one ****ing trainwreck) is a goddamned choice. The subject of death is and always will be touchy, particularly with regards to celebrities due to the cult of celebrity that exists in the modern age.

I'm generally on parts of the internet which don't make me angry, and I don't generally get angry or frustrated, as the people who do this to me aren't constant factors in my life or behaviour. But, as you said, the celebrity cult culture is omniprescent.

Thank you for your concern and opinion, and I will keep it in mind when endeavouring to make an opinion known online or in person.

Have a nice day.
  • whooter
    whooter Posts: 47
    Options
    Drug overdose. Got what he deserved, you take drugs that are KNOWN to kill you then you get what's coming to you. No sympathy from me.

You must be fun at parties.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

You must be fun at parties.

shush don't distract them from their awesome perfection and mistake-free existence
  • MarishaRea
    MarishaRea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day yes he decided to take drugs and drink but a lot of us on here should know what it is like to overcome an addiction. I mean are we or or we not here to lose weight because some of us have an unhealthy emotional addiction to food? At the end of the day he was someones son and it was still a tragic death however you look at it this is what happens so easily when depression has a hold on you and it could so easily happen to anyone. R.I.P Cory Monteith :-(
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day yes he decided to take drugs and drink but a lot of us on here should know what it is like to overcome an addiction. I mean are we or or we not here to lose weight because some of us have an unhealthy emotional addiction to food? At the end of the day he was someones son and it was still a tragic death however you look at it this is what happens so easily when depression has a hold on you and it could so easily happen to anyone. R.I.P Cory Monteith :-(
    Exactly.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
  • whooter
    whooter Posts: 47
    Options
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

How would they even log that?
  • amazinglyanna92
    amazinglyanna92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I found out a few hours ago....so sad :/
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options

Wow. I guess I have a little more compassion for those that have struggled with addictions. BTW, many people die from diseases related to their addiction to food. Should I tell fat people they are getting what they deserve? HAHAHA... you have heart disease? Well, guess you shouldn't have eaten that hamburger! Do you feel this way as well?

He struggled with addiction from early age because of a very troubled childhood. Some kids are graced with strong and loving parents. Human compassion exists in me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's sad to hear, my stepdaughter is going to be crushed. I remember when I was her age and River Phoenix passed, in a very similar way. I didn't really understand the drug thing, I was just a kid. I just knew that someone I loved and admired and idolized was dead. You don't need to be a hero to be worshiped, or the best actor/dancer/singer/person. You just need to have touched enough people for them to relate to you even though they've never met you.

Anyway, he'd had a long struggled and it beat him in the end. Much like so many young people who find fame and find the seedy underbelly with it. RIP.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

hollywood ruins people

especially the good ones

Hey now, don't get off topic, you're supposed to be sniping back and forth about how to express your opinion and what is or isn't considered rude on the InTerWEbs. :huh:

But actually I agree with you. Celebrity and Fame seem to be a terminal disease.
    John Belushi, River Phoenix, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Richard Farley, and perhaps hundreds of others, talented and dearly missed in the entertainment world.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sad and shocking news...yes, I know he was an addict but still...one of my favorites on Glee (yes, I enjoy the show), and WAY TOO YOUNG!
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    So sad. Another example of lifestyle choices and addiction wrecking and ultimately taking a life.

Addiction, Weather it be alcohol, Rx drugs, street drugs or yes, FOOD, ruins lives. I am sad he lost his battle, and hope there is support for those who struggle, regardless of the substance.
  • LitaRose77
    LitaRose77 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So very sad. He wasn't my favorite character on Glee (that was Kurt, of course) but still he was a powerful character & will be missed.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    As a human being, I'm sorry he's dead, but honestly? He'd been using drugs and drinking heavily since his teens, he was in rehab recently - it's very easy to see that happening.

Also, in re: his talent - what talent? He read as very stiff, unnatural, awkward, on screen; his singing was subpar; his dancing was awful - not in a "my character can't dance, so this is intentional" kind of way, but in a "genuinely can't dance, has no rythm or coordination" kind of way.

I say this, not to degrade the dead, but because death does not make you perfect. It makes you dead. We should stop glamorizing the dead and glossing over their faults because of some primal fear of angry spirits or divine retribution.

My apologies if I've hijacked your post.

I like stars who don't come off as overly polished and smooth. Not all real people are polished and smooth (some are), so why would all characters be? I'm only an occasional Netflix Glee watcher, but he was my favorite character when I did watch. He must have some talent to make people like his character.
This discussion has been closed.