TRYING VEGAN

Options

Replies

• Desisveg
    Desisveg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been eating vegan for around 7 months now, a lot of people think it's impossible to live without dairy but it's really not that bad and there are a lot of great alternatives- (not talking about the processed vegan foods you see at the store though).

As for weight loss, you have to be careful because a lot of people automatically assume just because it's vegan it's healthy which is absolutely not true. I did lose a few at first probably cause I stopped eating so much cheese but you need to be careful of the fats you take in and also the calorie dense foods such as nuts and avocados, I gained a bit recently but i'm trying to learn how to cook without olive oil and I cut down on avos which I ate religiously. Basically, it's calories in calories out whatever diet you choose!!! an added benefit with a vegan diet though is i'm not causing any harm to animals and I know some out there don't care but try watching "Earthlings" and then come back and tell me you still don't care :)
  • Desisveg
    Options
    Oreo's are vegan :)

hahah yes indeed!
  • Desisveg
    Options
    Maybe others can post their testimonials about the pros and cons of going vegan

I tried going Vegan for about a month then switch off. I think it may be easier for woman cause It's semi difficult to find a good source of protein to build musicles.

This isn't necessarily true. There are a lot of vegan bodybuilders out there and the recovery rate is far better than that of meat eaters. try googling Mac danzig's diet or any other vegan bodybuilder to give you ideas. My BF lifts and although he's not vegan he'll eat anything vegan that I make him so I try to focus on protein with him of course, you can do quionoa wraps with sweet potatoes and black beans, chickpea salad sandwiches, etc....plenty of options for protein without meat. Also there are vegan protein powders out there too..
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    The key is the scale. If the pounds are rolling off along with the exercise you completed your mission. I cant see the sens of being fat and vegan at the same time. What is the point of that? Its almost like saying im going to eat organic hot dogs instead of Nathans hot dogs. . Its the same analogy when you come to think of it. I dont eat much dairy but i i think if i go meatless for an extended period of time i will drop the weight and then i can treat myself to a big pastrami sandwich one time only
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The key is the scale. If the pounds are rolling off along with the exercise you completed your mission. I cant see the sens of being fat and vegan at the same time. What is the point of that? Its almost like saying im going to eat organic hot dogs instead of Nathans hot dogs. . Its the same analogy when you come to think of it. I dont eat much dairy but i i think if i go meatless for an extended period of time i will drop the weight and then i can treat myself to a big pastrami sandwich one time only

I think you're getting your terms mixed up-being a true vegan has nothing to do with weight loss, it's a deep felt philosophy to abstain from using ANY animal products-way beyond food. This includes any byproducts, like someone mentioned with the lipbalm made from beeswax. Veganism is about animal rights issues and goes way beyond diet/food.

A vegetarian is someone who cuts out meat either for health reasons, or as a stepping stone for someone who's passionate about animal rights, but isn't ready to make all the lifestyle changes required of veganism.

What you're describing is more like a flexitarian-someone who abstains from meat for the majority of the time, but will eat it for special occasions. People who follow this type of diet usually do it for the health benefits, but again, it's not a weight loss plan per se. A great book to read for more info on this way of eating (and for some good recipes), is The Flexitarian Diet, by Dawn Jackson Blatner.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There are different types of vegetarian:

~ Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat both dairy products and eggs; this is the most common type of vegetarian diet.
    ~ Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but avoid eggs.
    ~ Vegans do not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other products which are derived from animals including honey.

https://www.vegsoc.org/FAQs#.UeOzDdLqmSo

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as: "Someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with, or without, the use of dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish* or by-products of slaughter."
  • roflsauce
    roflsauce Posts: 21
    Options
    Going Vegan =/= Weight loss
  • JussyD89
    JussyD89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay. I was vegetarian before going vegan.
    I loved cheese when I was vegetarian. But I tried a vegan 30 day challenge.. 4 years later I have never looked back, knowing now what I do I will never go back. I do not use any non vegan items, in any shape or form.
    I didn't start being vegan because of weight loss, the thought never entered my mind.
    I started losing weight before going vegan 4 and half years, but in total I have lost more then over half my body weight.
  • mastinj1
    mastinj1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I went vegan for a full year. There are loads of great recipes allover the net! There are 2 things to watch out for #1 the soy can really play havoc on your hormones, I already knew about the dangers of too much soy before I started but what I did not realize was that out thyroid is a glad that is also affected by soy ( I was thinking I could handle emotional swings) as you probably already know the thyroid regulates body weight so I did lose 40 lbs on the vegan diet but then it stopped because my thyroid stopped working right. The #2 is the gall bladder is an organ in our body made just to help us process animal products. So when you decide to go back to eating meat again do it slow other wise you gall bladder with go into overdrive and cause serious cramping . I ended up in the ER.
    Have fun and good luck.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you are not sure - go watch 'Earthlings" on you tube...then decide.
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe others can post their testimonials about the pros and cons of going vegan

I tried going Vegan for about a month then switch off. I think it may be easier for woman cause It's semi difficult to find a good source of protein to build musicles.

Lol. Actually, I don't think that is that much of a problem. My personal trainer is Vegan and he has got some incredible biceps *grin*.

However, I have been mainly Vegetarian since my early teens and only recently switched to "mostly" Vegan due to some serious health issues. I have got no probs at all with protein intake - rather the opposite - due to my health issue I am not allowed to go over a particular amount of protein a day and I found it very hard not to go over.
    So, my reasons aren't because I agree with the Vegan lifestyle and philosophy, but my health. I do feel much better, after I have been pretty ill during May and if you love food, cooking and experimenting with food, Vegan is as good as Vegetarian or any other diet philosophy. IMO nutrition is about balanced nutrient intake and not whether you eat fish, meat or just vegetables and fruits. It's about what you enjoy in food and what you make work for yourself to feel fit and healthy. :wink:
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    Thats the part that turns me off about going vegan . The passion for animal rights. Dont get me wrong killing any kind of species for the sake of consumption is wrong but some of these animal rights purists, make me sick sometimes. Its not about avoiding meats and dairy to improve their overall health or lose weight, its more about injustice invoked on animals. I have a family member who went vegan some years ago and she really takes it to the extreme. I get the impression that her attitude is like "If your not vegan your no good" She is not the same person i knew before she became an extremist . Her FB page promotes a constant bombardment of photos depicting animals on dinner plates. Its like enough is enough . You cant force people to become vegan. Either they will make the lifestyle change or they wont Its that simple. Its like telling your friend "ooo you gotta hear this song its great you must listen you will love it " Just cause you dig the song doesnt mean others have to dig it
  • smsquash
    smsquash Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a life-long vegetarian, but I have never been a very healthy eater. When I was a baby / little kid, my parents gave me a ton of soy, which we now know is not good for the body (or the thyroid). Also back in the day (I was born in the 70's) their doctors were saying use cheese as a replacement for meat as a staple food, so I ended up relying way too heavily on dairy.

I ate that way for such a long time, most of my life. These days I am trying to be healthier (I'm approaching 40 now, I'm less interested in appearances and a lot more interested in long-term health.) and I have been toying with veganism. I did a 30-day vegan challenge. I didn't want for anything. I thought it was wonderful. The food was awesome and delicious. I felt great. I even lost weight.

But, I have a very busy life and a very tight budget, plus a three-year-old who is a picky eater and a husband who is attached to "meat and potatoes". It was hard. I work full time, then I'd have to go pick up my daughter at daycare, drive an hour home, and then make 2-3 versions of a meal (or separate meals) to make everyone happy.

I'm trying a modified version now. Basically, I'm not a purist. If I'm really pressed for time or completely exhausted one night, I'll make us a round of grilled cheese sandwiches because it is so quick and easy and everyone is happy with one meal. But, as much as possible, I am making whole vegan meals again. Trying to follow the 80/20 rule. If I eat vegan 80% of the time, I'm not going to sweat the other 20%. It is a lot more work, but I always feel so good. And, it's summer right now and the garden is a source of veggie abundance, so the cost is mitigated.

Anyway, that's my experience. 80/20 seems to be working for me. I would love to go 100% vegan again, in an ideal world, maybe once my toddler is old enough to contribute a bit more and needs less attention from me. I'm also trying to be a wonderful mama, a great wife and a good employee (and maintain my giant gardens and keep a clean house and even sleep some of the time, lol), so I do the best I can and practice being ok with imperfection as long as there is progress in the right direction.

I like veganism because it makes me feel good, because it is healthier for the body, because I'm not supporting the really bad stuff associated with animal agribusiness, and because it is safer. It is definitely less convenient, more time intensive and more expensive though (at least in my experience), but that's ok, because ultimately a diet based on bread, cheese and pasta just isn't healthy, no matter how cheap and easy it is. And for me, there is an ethical component. I don't judge other people's diets (my husband and daughter are omnivores) but I am not ok with the kind of cruelty that results from turning food production into large-scale agribusiness. I'm not trying to change the world single-handedly, but it does my heart good knowing that I don't contribute to that kind of suffering. Not a soapbox, just an effort on my part to live with integrity and align my actions with what feels right. Oh, that's one other thing. As a lifelong vegetarian and erstwhile vegan, I have encountered A LOT of negativity, anger, derision, etc. from the general populace. Get ready for that, it's real and not particularly subtle. I try to take it in stride. A lot of times I think it is just misplaced anger at someone else who happened to be vegan. Everybody's got an opinion, lol, I try not to let those judgments dictate my behavior anymore. Hope that helps. :)
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    alot more people would go vegan if they were married to a vegan chef and the meals were prepared for you. Not too many are willing to commit to preparing meals that are vegan friendly. All about time consumption. If the food is put in front of you like a spoiled brat you will eat it
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thats the part that turns me off about going vegan . The passion for animal rights. Dont get me wrong killing any kind of species for the sake of consumption is wrong but some of these animal rights purists, make me sick sometimes. Its not about avoiding meats and dairy to improve their overall health or lose weight, its more about injustice invoked on animals. I have a family member who went vegan some years ago and she really takes it to the extreme. I get the impression that her attitude is like "If your not vegan your no good" She is not the same person i knew before she became an extremist . Her FB page promotes a constant bombardment of photos depicting animals on dinner plates. Its like enough is enough . You cant force people to become vegan. Either they will make the lifestyle change or they wont Its that simple. Its like telling your friend "ooo you gotta hear this song its great you must listen you will love it " Just cause you dig the song doesnt mean others have to dig it

Yep, I pretty much agree with you. I love animals, but I also think that some people take it to far and what concerns me most about them is that they very often stop caring about us humans. Hey, and what I forgot to say, before you go all the way Vegan, why not give Vegetarian a go and just cut down on dairy?
    What I DO like about Vegetarian/Vegan it's incredible convinient. It's much more easy and faster prepared than meals containing meat or fish. Something what I do appreciate a lot. Although, I do love cooking I don't like spending hours preparing meals :noway:
  • JetsetterBabe
    JetsetterBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fyi oreos are not vegan. Food blogger friend contacted Nabisco and they started that the sugar is sourced from two different sources, one of which isn't vegan. If you're plant based, this is not a problem. If you are actually vegan, it is since sugar production utilizes bone char.

OP, plant based (not vegan) doesn't always lead to weight loss. I did however lose a few lbs after becoming vegan, 15 lbs in the first month but I imagine being a poor college student and ****ty cook had something to do with it. I did feel better shortly thereafter. I suppose eating plant based doesn't hurt but don't go running after the substitutes. Feel free to add me if you decide to give this a go and need help. Good luck
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    funny you mentioned that. about caring more for animals than humans. When i heard that certain family member spent $3500 for some kind of surgery for her cat i was like wow that whole vegan thing has taken over her life. I get the feeling sometimes that she would show more remorse for the cat dying than me . Obviously someone been brainwashed
  • Zlink
    Zlink Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ! an added benefit with a vegan diet though is i'm not causing any harm to animals and I know some out there don't care but try watching "Earthlings" and then come back and tell me you still don't care :)

Totally agree with you

I am vegan since around 5 months now,only the first week was hard for me because of the lack of info but then it was really easy....
    I think only on the first week i felt the need for meat but since then it stopped its even the idea of meat Disgust me now...
    from the ilk product i missed only the cheese but that stopped pretty quick as well...
    I lost weight pretty quick and still didn't gain any weight back.....but it is all about what you eat you can be a fat vegan as well....
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • mrshallewell
    mrshallewell Posts: 318
    Options
    Gillian mckeith (or what ever her name is) is a complete foney and a farce. she has no actual medical training or a doctorate and has lied about having such.

the following is an extract from wikipedia
    McKeith describes herself as having one or more PhDs, but in fact possesses only one qualification, from a non-accredited institution, and has been barred by the British Advertising Standards Authority from using the title Doctor in advertisements on the grounds that to continue to do so would be misleading.

and another
    The Daily Mail reports that Lorna Slater took part in McKeith's programme in 2005, lost 21 pounds, but regained it afterwards. Slater said, "she demoralised me totally ... she gave me a balloon—put two drinking straws underneath it and said: "That's what you look like" — I ended up in tears. Then she gave me a completely unrealistic eating plan which involved very little meat or fish and lots of food that disagreed with my system like avocado—which makes me sick—and cucumber. I had to boil mung beans all day long, which took hours, made the flat smell horrible and tasted more like the gravel at the bottom of a fish tank than food. Although I tried hard and did lose weight, it was totally unrealistic."[21]

and the list goes on
    One of the earliest criticisms focuses on McKeith's diploma in nutrition from American Association of Nutritional Consultants. In 2004, the same diploma was also awarded, upon application and payment, to Ben Goldacre's dead cat Henrietta.[10][41]

On her website McKeith claimed to have a PhD, degree or certificate from the American College of Nutrition.[42] In the book Dr Gillian McKeith's Living Food for Health McKeith also claimed to have a PhD from the American College of Nutrition. She does not; both her PhD and her Masters degree are from the non-accredited diploma mill Clayton College of Natural Health.[43][self-published source?]

I found the cat bit hilarious. Just do whats best for you honey not what that trollop says. I personally made a meal planner which i stick to (sometimes i switch the days around for variation) all my meals are homemade and i make most in bulk and freeze, take out what i need when i need it and just make up the fresh ingredients like pasta or rice. so much easier for me and it works for ME. Im cutting down on my red meat again (started eating it through pregnancy and now BF) and sliding over to chicken and fish. have a play around and find something that works FOR YOU!