can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy?

Options

Replies

• michlama
    michlama Posts: 7
    Options
    I tried to be gluten free because my mom has a gluten intolerance. However, I became fatigued with harsh stomach cramps. I think gluten is healthy in the same way that corn or nuts are healthy. If your body digests it and uses it efficiently as fuel then it is healthy. Nuts cause my husband certain death, and I have a corn intolerance that makes me feel awful/sick.
  • dawndm88
    dawndm88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For those of you who want to find out if gluten is a problem for you, I would suggest trying the Whole30 diet. By cutting out gluten, dairy, grains, legumes, etc. for 30 days and then adding them back into your diet gradually, you will learn whether any of these food groups bother you. My brother, my husband and I all have done the Whole30 in the past few months and have seen amazing things change for the better, for all of us.
    I myself found that gluten and dairy cause me to be bloated and gassy after meals. I also found that by the end of the 30 days, my eczema had cleared up and only returns if I consume dairy. I also always had sinus issues, needing to clear my throat regularly in the morning, in order to be able to talk normally. This has also improved greatly. As an added bonus, I lost 10 lbs. I also learned that foods that use to bother me, like broccoli and lettuce/spinach salads, don't cause me to have to run to the bathroom soon after consuming them anymore since I'm not mixing them with gluten and dairy.
    Some things that my husband and brother noticed were decrease in migraines, toenail fungus and warts disappeared and overall feeling better, sleeping better and more energy.
    I know some one here mentioned that people may feel better not only because they cut out gluten but because they are just eating more fruit and veggies and less processed junk. All three of us were already eating better than a lot of people before we started the Whole30. So that was not the case for us.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Here's my case for gluten being healthy.

My body has no problem digesting it. It's protein. Protein is not only healthy but vital. I like to eat foods that contain it because... yum.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    U don't need gluten and it is bad cause they use it as a preservative for everything and it is suppouse to be only wheat and some other grains but now is everywhere.
    I have a gluten free diet cause I have the celiac disease and actually I feel lot better now, nothing is gonna happen if u stop eating things with gluten.
    Yes, it is a protein but u can get from something else.
    :huh: Gluten is not used as a preservative. Just because you have celiac doesn't mean gluten is bad for everyone, it means it's bad for you. Using your logic, EVERY food is bad, and people should never eat anything, because every single food that exists and has ever existed has been unhealthy for at least one person, which according to you means it's bad for everyone.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I am off topic, as I am not making a case for it being healthy, just sharing my experience.

Long story short, I was having migraines daily, went on a strong anti conversant. It was the first thing to work. It also took away my hunger trigger. GONE. Thanks to MFP and my logging, I knew I must eat food. I also knew I should make it count as the first few weeks as my body adjusted to the meds I was not eating much at all.

After doing a LOT of research, I decided to not only cut out the 'white' as I call it (bread and pasta and such) but the gluten completely. I also learned in the next few weeks that milk made me feel sick.

My migraines were under control, my IBS was much better, my Reflux was getting better. None of which did I attribute to the GF. Some of which I knew was the dairy.

Cut to a few months later when I add back in gluten products.. The tests were negative, so the gastro said I could eat gluten. Actually rolled his eyes when I attributed some of my good changes to this.

Within 2 weeks my migraines came back. Daily. Again, thank God for MFP, my food was logged. My friend and I looked thru my diary and thought ...............hmmmmmm lets take out gluten again.

Bammm.........migraines under control.

From what I have read (and I am only a google doctor my friend) it is an inflammatory. Now do I eat more lettuce, berries, and other fruits when the turkey burger isn't on a big ol roll? Of course, but I was eating those when I HAD the roll too. I def attribute the changes to the gluten.

Of course, that's just me:flowerforyou:
  • dawndm88
    dawndm88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I am off topic, as I am not making a case for it being healthy, just sharing my experience.

Long story short, I was having migraines daily, went on a strong anti conversant. It was the first thing to work. It also took away my hunger trigger. GONE. Thanks to MFP and my logging, I knew I must eat food. I also knew I should make it count as the first few weeks as my body adjusted to the meds I was not eating much at all.

After doing a LOT of research, I decided to not only cut out the 'white' as I call it (bread and pasta and such) but the gluten completely. I also learned in the next few weeks that milk made me feel sick.

My migraines were under control, my IBS was much better, my Reflux was getting better. None of which did I attribute to the GF. Some of which I knew was the dairy.

Cut to a few months later when I add back in gluten products.. The tests were negative, so the gastro said I could eat gluten. Actually rolled his eyes when I attributed some of my good changes to this.

Within 2 weeks my migraines came back. Daily. Again, thank God for MFP, my food was logged. My friend and I looked thru my diary and thought ...............hmmmmmm lets take out gluten again.

From what I have read (and I am only a google doctor my friend) it is an inflammatory. Now do I eat more lettuce, berries, and other fruits when the turkey burger isn't on a big ol roll? Of course, but I was eating those when I HAD the roll too. I def attribute the changes to the gluten.

I am so happy someone else has seen results from going gluten free. My hubby had migraines but they are gone now that he has gone gluten free!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Gluten is just the protein found in most grains.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how the lamest questions always seem to be posted by blue lego people with closed profiles.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    gluten seems to be connected to many ailments but even if its too soon to know for sure can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy for us? seems like whatever its in isnt very healthy. wheat bread? so lets say the research proves gluten is not harmful after all, is it healthy? if its neither than what is its purpose in our food system? i understand people needed to survive on the stuff but now most of us can make the best choice for our health
    Gluten makes yeast bread rise. Now don't go ruining it for everyone.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    For those of you who want to find out if gluten is a problem for you, I would suggest trying the Whole30 diet. By cutting out gluten, dairy, grains, legumes, etc. for 30 days and then adding them back into your diet gradually, you will learn whether any of these food groups bother you. My brother, my husband and I all have done the Whole30 in the past few months and have seen amazing things change for the better, for all of us.
    I myself found that gluten and dairy cause me to be bloated and gassy after meals. I also found that by the end of the 30 days, my eczema had cleared up and only returns if I consume dairy. I also always had sinus issues, needing to clear my throat regularly in the morning, in order to be able to talk normally. This has also improved greatly. As an added bonus, I lost 10 lbs. I also learned that foods that use to bother me, like broccoli and lettuce/spinach salads, don't cause me to have to run to the bathroom soon after consuming them anymore since I'm not mixing them with gluten and dairy.
    Some things that my husband and brother noticed were decrease in migraines, toenail fungus and warts disappeared and overall feeling better, sleeping better and more energy.
    I know some one here mentioned that people may feel better not only because they cut out gluten but because they are just eating more fruit and veggies and less processed junk. All three of us were already eating better than a lot of people before we started the Whole30. So that was not the case for us.

I did something like that for 21 days. Very happily found that gluten has no ill effect on me at all! What does bother me though are white potatoes, bell peppers, and eggplant.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    Sorry, this is my first time seeing a Mod commenting on the regular threads and for a sec I thought the board was being locked so I scrolled back to see if I missed drama somewhere :flowerforyou:
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    4 1/2 oz of seitan has about 140 calories and 30 grams of protein, no fat unless I add oil to my recipe.
    It can be made simply with wheat gluten and water, or you can add soy sauce, nutritional yeast, ginger, curry, chopped onions and garlic, curry, or whatever you want!
    I lost weight eating seitan about three or four times a week, it really was my best source of protein and delicious. The possibilities in preparation are limitless. Ie. natchos with veggies, salsa, BBQ seitan, and cheese.

It's kind of funny because about a dozen people at my work are gluten free because of IBS or other sensitivities excluding celiac disease. We have pot lucks at my work where most dishes are gluten free, and I sometimes bring a big slab of gluten for my protein.

I also think it's amusing that I can't find or it's difficult to find wheat gluten at grocery stores when most of the stores have isles or sections full of gluten-free, sugary snacks.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    gluten seems to be connected to many ailments but even if its too soon to know for sure can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy for us? seems like whatever its in isnt very healthy. wheat bread? so lets say the research proves gluten is not harmful after all, is it healthy? if its neither than what is its purpose in our food system? i understand people needed to survive on the stuff but now most of us can make the best choice for our health
    Pizza.

The end.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Pizza.

The end.

Chocolate cake. The real end.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

apollo-oh-no-not-again.jpg
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Pizza.

The end.

End?! I think pizza and chocolate cake make a beautiful beginning that ends well with a few beers.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Anthropologically speaking, I'm pretty sure that gluten, and the wheat containing it, had a major hand in building Western civilization and keeping millions from starving to death several thousand years ago. Based on this alone, I think it deserves our praise.

Quite possibly, it comes in second place to its Eastern cousin, the pearly and pleasant rice grain.

Obviously, if there is an allergy, it shouldn't be consumed.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Pizza.

The end.

End?! I think pizza and chocolate cake make a beautiful beginning that ends well with a few beers.
    Youse guys are crazy. Beer first. Then pizza. Then cake. Get your priorities straight.:glasses:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Pizza.

The end.

Youse guys are crazy. Beer first. Then pizza. Then cake. Get your priorities straight.:glasses:

tumblr_mjbaqgxIQm1s3u5q3o1_400_zpsaed4f211.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Anthropologically speaking, I'm pretty sure that gluten, and the wheat containing it, had a major hand in building Western civilization and keeping millions from starving to death several thousand years ago. Based on this alone, I think it deserves our praise.

Quite possibly, it comes in second place to its Eastern cousin, the pearly and pleasant rice grain.

Obviously, if there is an allergy, it shouldn't be consumed.

This. While some people have an intolerance, the vast majority of the population is fine with it.

Not to mention it is calorie dense, so consider the amount of farmland that would have to be devoted to veggies/fruits if wheat wasn't available.