Can't seem to make my goal

Options
Achrya
Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
I'm having issues making my calories. My goal is 1825 calories a day which seems like a reasonable goal, until I try to eat veggies. I find that if I eat vegetables I get super full and end up way under my goal. I'm thinking of cutting out veg and just existing on meat, cheese, and grain. Any suggestions?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    But what about carrot cake? Does it count as veg or grain?
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    *swat* No cutting out the nutritious stuff for you.

Pace it out. Measure out one serving of fruits and veggies and try to have them throughout the day. If you're having that big of a problem meeting your calorie goal, mix in some healthy fats like nuts and avocado and the like.

Or have some chocolate milk. That gets me up there every time.
  • Achrya
    Options

Are you trying to tell me to eat cake? Because I imagine the carrot content in carrot cake is very low.

Shame on you.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Are you trying to tell me to eat cake? Because I imagine the carrot content in carrot cake is very low.

Shame on you.

I use a load of carrots in my carrot cake, not to mention pineapple. Just getting clarification on food classifications is all.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've recently realized I need to up my calories, and it's also a confusing adjustment for me. Different reasons -- not that I feel too full to eat but that if I eat more calories, I'm going to also get more sodium, which I don't want, unless I make other adjustments. So it's not just more food -- that would be too easy! -- but different food. I'm constantly having to "learn how to eat" all over again.

If you are thinking your problem is filling up on veggies, have you tried spinach? I can eat a whole 9 oz bag of fresh spinach at one sitting and not feel like I ate a lot. (Because gee whiz, that stuff cooks down to NOTHING, doesn't it?) So it's a lot of veggie goodness for very little fill up. If broccoli is your go-to, yeah, it's going to be very filling -- broccoli and cauliflower and brussels sprouts are very fibrous and filling. Greens however, not so much.

I don't believe you're asking us for an endorsement of giving up veggies, I know you are a very sensible gal! :smile:
  • Achrya
    Options

Pace it out. Measure out one serving of fruits and veggies and try to have them throughout the day. If you're having that big of a problem meeting your calorie goal, mix in some healthy fats like nuts and avocado and the like.

Hmm. I don't have issues with fruit, I eat grapefruit like it's the zombie apocalypse and that's the only food left, if the darn veggies that get me. A serving of broccoli and I just wanna lie down and take a nap. If I space them out I might end up tired all the time, you know? How would i get anything done? They just add so few calories.

I don't know about more fats. I always hit my fat goal pretty dead on
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Because I imagine the carrot content in carrot cake is very low.

Shame on you.

Depends.

If you buy it pre-made, the probably.
    If you make it yourself, well then you can add as many carrots as you want.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Find some other calorie dense snacks like nuts, cheese, nut butter, coconut oil, ice cream. Easy ways to pack in calories after you've hit your macros... or to help you hit your macros.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Hmm. I don't have issues with fruit, I eat grapefruit like it's the zombie apocalypse and that's the only food left, if the darn veggies that get me. A serving of broccoli and I just wanna lie down and take a nap. If I space them out I might end up tired all the time, you know? How would i get anything done? They just add so few calories.

I don't know about more fats. I always hit my fat goal pretty dead on

Try taking a bite of snickers, or any other candy bar, after every bite of broccoli. Maybe the sugar will give you the energy to keep eating all that broccoli.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Have you tried adding in a protein shake, smoothie, or adding in a glass from juicing? Also complex carbs are higher in calories. I'm assuming you are trying to gain weight? Are you weight lifting? I definitely don't suggest cutting out the veggies though.

I love the idea of adding cheese and nuts. A ball of Burrata is almost 500 calories, and believe me you"ll want to eat the entire ball Mmmmm
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What is your macro breakdown? If you are low on fats, that is an easy way to add in some calorie density.
  • Watch your cholesterol if you eat a lot of protein. Some people are predisposed to high levels.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Find some other calorie dense snacks like nuts, cheese, nut butter, coconut oil, ice cream. Easy ways to pack in calories after you've hit your macros... or to help you hit your macros.

Ice cream sounds like a great idea, I'm a fan.

Try taking a bite of snickers, or any other candy bar, after every bite of broccoli. Maybe the sugar will give you the energy to keep eating all that broccoli.

Maybe like an energy bar or something? I think Atkins makes a few different kinds of those.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding in a protein shake, smoothie, or adding in a glass from juicing? Also complex carbs are higher in calories. I'm assuming you are trying to gain weight? Are you weight lifting? I definitely don't suggest cutting out the veggies though.

I love the idea of adding cheese and nuts. A ball of Burrata is almost 500 calories, and believe me you"ll want to eat the entire ball Mmmmm

Why would you assume she is trying to gain weight?
  • Achrya
    Options

No, I'm losing weight, about 13 pounds since April. I do lift weights though, 3 times a week, fairly heavy (for me) Using Stronglifts as my program at the moment.

What is your macro breakdown? If you are low on fats, that is an easy way to add in some calorie density.

I'm doing 40/30/30. I try to hit fat and protein, and usually do, and just kinda let carbs end up wherever.
    Watch your cholesterol if you eat a lot of protein. Some people are predisposed to high levels.

Does protein have a lot of cholesterol?
  • shutupandlift13
    Options

I'm doing 40/30/30. I try to hit fat and protein, and usually do, and just kinda let carbs end up wherever.

% based macros can be a good start but things like protein and fat are probably better set up based on either BW or LBM.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Protein itself does not equal cholesterol. And not all cholesterol is bad. But I digress.

If you have a lot of carbs left over, definitely go for the ice cream. It is a great end of day snack.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    it puts the butter on it's veggies...
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    Protein itself does not equal cholesterol. And not all cholesterol is bad. But I digress.

If you have a lot of carbs left over, definitely go for the ice cream. It is a great end of day snack.

Yes. Or those dirty, dirty pop tarts :wink:
  • Achrya
    Options
    it puts the butter on it's veggies...

I don't eat butter.