Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz

Options
ScatteredThoughts
ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
Saw this on FB, and thought it was kind of interesting.

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

"The quiz is part of a nationwide survey, conducted March 7-10 among 1,006 adults, which also probed opinions and perceptions about science and math in education. The survey was conducted with Smithsonian magazine for an edition focusing on STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education (see “How Much Do Americans Know about Science?”)."

My results:

"You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly."

"You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%."

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I don't need to take a test to realize that I am better than 99% of the public.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My results:

Same here. The questions are fairly trivial if you have the slightest interest in science, but I do still despair for the percentage of the population illustrated by the lower ends of the graph.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    100% that was too easy!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    easy quiz... here's an old engineering interview question for the OP.

let's say you are sitting in a canoe in the middle of a swimming pool and you can measure its' level on the side of the pool. in that canoe with you is a cinder block. if you held up that cinder block and dropped it into the water, what will happen to the water level and why?

this gets asked often of new grads just to see how well they reason.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options

Same here. The questions are fairly trivial if you have the slightest interest in science, but I do still despair for the percentage of the population illustrated by the lower ends of the graph.

True. That also bothers me. Several of those questions relate to subjects which are in the current news, especially in regards to environmental issues.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    :tongue: :devil: wow, lots of dummies don't know the makeup of the atmosphere.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

they should have included "air" as one of the choices ("hot air" if the quiz was being given in D.C.)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options

let's say you are sitting in a canoe in the middle of a swimming pool and you can measure its' level on the side of the pool. in that canoe with you is a cinder block. if you held up that cinder block and dropped it into the water, will the new water level be higher or lower than previously and why?

I'm hardly engineer material, but it is an interesting question.

I'm going to say that the water level would stay the same. I think the mass of the cinder block being added to the pool would normally increase the water level, but now there is also less water being displaced by the canoe itself, so I think it would even out.

How wrong was I, and what did I not win?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Sorry you missed that one, noob.
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    12 out of 13. Haven't thought about some of those in years.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

let's say you are sitting in a canoe in the middle of a swimming pool and you can measure its' level on the side of the pool. in that canoe with you is a cinder block. if you held up that cinder block and dropped it into the water, what will happen to the water level and why?

I'm hardly engineer material, but it is an interesting question.

I'm going to say that the water level would stay the same. I think the mass of the cinder block being added to the pool would normally increase the water level, but now there is also less water being displaced by the canoe itself, so I think it would even out.

How wrong was I, and what did I not win?

hint: consider the densities of the 2 materials... cinder block vs. water.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My results:

Same, but I'm majoring in engineering so I think I'm overqualified for this quiz.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like how the Dutch have a yearly IQ show on TV. That way you can know how dumb you are on an annual bases.

13/13 . Fracking, drug testing and global warming. I'm not sure if this is a science or current events quiz.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I did awesome until they asked my age.
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Far from an engineer, but I'm going to take a stab at this... the water level goes down (but probably by a fraction). I'm guessing this because the cinder block is no longer pushing down on the water with an effective surface area of a canoe, but rather has just reduced the volume of the pool by the volume of one cinder block.

Close?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My results:

Same, but I'm majoring in engineering so I think I'm overqualified for this quiz.

My undergraduate degree was in philosophy and formal logic and my graduate degrees were in law and business, and I answered 13/13 correctly. These questions accounted to grade school scientific knowledge with some current events mixed in.

Statistical bias aside in terms of who is taking the test, does it disturb anyone else that this is the state of scientific knowledge among the general population?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options

hint: consider the densities of the 2 materials... cinder block vs. water.

The cinder block is obviously denser, so it should not displace a large amount of water. The area of the canoe under the water should be larger than the cinder block.

It seems that the only other choice would be for the water level to go down.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My results:

Same here......
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I found it satisfying that there were laser questions on a Pew web site.

Pew pew pew!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options
    I found it satisfying that there were laser questions on a Pew web site.

Pew pew pew!

But no sharks. :(