What constitutes a binge?

Options
I hear that word used all the time on this forum, and I thought that I never have binges, but...

Went out and ate thousands of excessive calories this weekend. (As in fries, bbq ribs and wings, Thai food, tons of alcohol.
Probably 5-6K+ of extra calories over maintenance.

But, I knew full well what was going to happen when I made a decision to go to particular restaurants. (I hoped that the next day's girl night out would not be as bad, but after 4 drinks I wanted... you guess it... those cheese and ranch dressing, bacon and jalapeno fries AGAIN. For 3 days in a row.

Is that a binge? If you realize what you are doing and still just really really want to do it anyway?
Or did I just overeat?

Because it seems that what some people describe as a binge, is an animal like frenzied state, as if a person is dissociated from their actions and not "legally responsible" until they come to. Like a psychiatric defense or something.

What do you view as a binge?

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For me, a binge is usually over 500 calories above my normal intake for the day. I accept full legal responsibility for everything that goes into my body and don't ever try to off-set the blame on anyone or anything else. On occasion, I have binged over 1000 calories above my allotment, but typically that was while I was on vacation - and I was burning a ton of calories with exercises like scuba diving or swimming or walking *everywhere*....
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would say yes that's a binge. I don't ever go into a binge not knowing that I am eatting this stuff. What I lack is the ablity to stop after a bit or 2. I will eat crap until I hurt before I realize that my taste turned into a quart of ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream on it. That said is it the end of the world no. You just get back on the wagon and exercise for 10 or 15 minutes longer everyday till I work that junk off!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    So is there a distinction between a massive overeat or a binge?

I mean, I full y realized what and how much I was eating. I just did not care enough.

It wasn't like I "came to" afterwards or anything like that.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yep..........that's a binge!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    In behavioral disorder terms, a binge is classified by having a heightened and frantic (or else truly depressed and numb) emotional state. Consuming large amounts of calories totalling thousands in a short time (within a few hours) coupled with a fear and feeling of not being able to stop, even well beyond the point of making yourself sick.

The difference between binging and over-eating is the emotional and mental state that accompanies it. It is not eating a few hundred calories over. It is not even necessarily eating thousands of calories over. It is what is going on in your head WHILE you are overeating.

The term "binge" is way overused on this site and minimizes the experiences and struggles those who actually struggle with binge eating experience.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    A binge happens for me when I eat too many calories, to the point where I'm full but still forcing myself to eat. It's usually related to my emotions, and I eat so quickly that I don't really think (kind of an out-of-control feeling but I am still aware that I am bingeing). I don't binge in public. If I'm eating too many calories when I'm at a restaurant with friends or having a special occasion, it's just overeating.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I consider a binge when i've eaten my evening meal, but then decide to go back for more "snacking" even though I am not technically hungry. I then go back into the larder and eat: Digestive biscuits and cheese, a bar of chocolate, 1/2 bag of cashew nuts, 2 toasts and butter and maybe a few other bits. Probably another 1,500 over what I should be eating. Feel rubbish the next day, feel depressed, unhappy with myself, hating myself, refusing to look in the mirror. I usually call that my "binge".

When I eat out 3x a week and eat way over what I need to eat, then I call that "being off the rails"... I have been "off the rails" now for a long time!

Hence being 3+ stones overweight!! I am now trying to get a grip of both situations.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do you do this often? Or just a one-time partying event?
    I binge eat and I know that 1,000's of calories over allotment are a binge for me, it's me being our-of control and not caring at that moment.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I see a binge as relentless eating in a short period of time, ravenously. I think you just overate/over indulged because you wanted to and were having a good time with friends. Now I want cheese fries.
  • BabyDreams2013
    Options
    A binge happens for me when I eat too many calories, to the point where I'm full but still forcing myself to eat. It's usually related to my emotions, and I eat so quickly that I don't really think (kind of an out-of-control feeling but I am still aware that I am bingeing). I don't binge in public. If I'm eating too many calories when I'm at a restaurant with friends or having a special occasion, it's just overeating.

I agree with this person. I've gotten psychiatric help for my binge eating disorder, but not for a fun weekend out not caring about the calories I was enjoying. I was enjoying it, not making myself eat when I didn't want to and drowning in guilt because of it. Sometimes, you have to take a break from the tracking and have a good time, and then just get back on track. Good luck!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    In behavioral disorder terms, a binge is classified by having a heightened and frantic (or else truly depressed and numb) emotional state. Consuming large amounts of calories totalling thousands in a short time (within a few hours) coupled with a fear and feeling of not being able to stop, even well beyond the point of making yourself sick.

The difference between binging and over-eating is the emotional and mental state that accompanies it. It is not eating a few hundred calories over. It is not even necessarily eating thousands of calories over. It is what is going on in your head WHILE you are overeating.

The term "binge" is way overused on this site and minimizes the experiences and struggles those who actually struggle with binge eating experience.

I am in full agreement with the above. And unfortunately, the overuse sometimes makes those that actually struggle feel even worse about their binges.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

^ This. You over-ate, and I'm assuming had a good time doing it. People cross use the term binging to describe legitimate binging, and a wild night of fun and over eating. Maybe it makes people feel better not to use the words "over ate"? Or feels like a more important word? Can't say I haven't used the word binge incorrectly myself though.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I never overeat when I am by myself. This happens when I go out with people (friends or even DH). Happens a lot on vacation.
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options

This. You didn't binge you just over-ate. :)
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    To me, a binge is when I am eating something uncontrollably and I am unable to stop, which leads to ingesting a huge amount of calories in one sitting. There is usually an emotion attached to it, before and after. Such as sadness or loneliness before, and disgust after.

To me, what you did was over eat.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i think there is a difference between drunk-eating and binging. binging implies excessive consumption with no real joy in it - you're not eating because you want that food, you're eating because you can't stop. and feel miserable before, during, and after.

drunk eating (or even just a high calorie day here & there) happens to all of us and, while not a great idea, generally isn't the symptom of some larger psychological issue the way that binging can be.

also, given that most of us are on a diet of some sort, going out for 2 margaritas & some nachos would probably mean more calories than our daily intake. and that's hardly a binge.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I never overeat when I am by myself. This happens when I go out with people (friends or even DH). Happens a lot on vacation.

That to me says you're a social eater rather than a binger. Binges are more of a secretive affair I think and not usually enjoyable, more of a compulsion to eat.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A binge is any behavior indulged to excess.

Doesn't matter if it's planned/unplanned or if you are binging on blueberries, fries or alcohol. It doesn't have to be uncontrollable or a specific caloric amount.

I went to All You Can Eat Sushi the other day. I binged. I stayed within my calorie limit for the day because I only had a light breakfast and it wasn't like I was stuffing my face uncontrollably, but I ate an excess of sushi. It was a binge.

ETA: Typos
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options

^^ This.

Binge is an actual word with an actual definiton. Not all uses of the word binge refers to binging disorders as you've described.