Abdominal Axioms: 9 Rules For Better Abs.

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    All people with abs have one thing in common................low body fat. How does one attain that? Calorie deficit if one has higher body fat than desired.

Many teenage boys have abs. I'm more than sure that they didn't get them from adhering to the list mentioned. Why do they have abs? Because they have low body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My 5 year old has abs and he doesn't drink booze so there :wink:

Looooooool.

I also love how kids have no real concept of "exercise" when they are that age. They do have the concept of "fun" - let me go swing off that tree branch, Daaaaaad I want to go cycling, let me sprint to the playground....

Perhaps we could learn a lot from them....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~ George Bernard Shaw
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Another "clean eating is the only way to get abs" post. Yay.

Yes that is true and there it s at number 3 / Go Au Naturale blushing also lean meats turkey, beef, chicken etc.
    If you disagree with most of that list then that may be part of the reason you still need to lose weight. try it and you will be amazed just how fast the weight comes of you.

Just quoting for the clean eating negativity threads that have been popping up. Just want to reference back when the argument is that clean eaters never say absolutes and everyone else argues unnecessarily without any provocation.

Carry on.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Disagreeing with a post isn't being 'rude' it's being honest.

I seriously have a hard time wondering how many of you get through your day to day when you whine SO much when someone disagrees with you.

If you want abs work your abdominal muscles and obtain a low body fat. I know plenty of guys (and girls) with 6 packs. Both on their tummies and in their hands. There's no need to eliminate foods from your diet.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I have abs.

I have not followed all these tips.

While I agree that if you follow these tips, you have a great chance at attaining that 6 pack, I do not believe that it is really necessary.

What I have found...

IT DOES:
    - take a caloric deficit
    - take time and patience
    - take some core work to strengthen the muscles so that they pop after the fat starts disappearing
    - take some sweat generating, *kitten* busting, cardio and strength training activities. (or at least, it did for me)

IT DOES NOT:
    - require obliterating everything carb from your diet -as long as you're meeting your caloric deficit
    - require obliterating all drinks that contain calories from your diet - as long as you are meeting your caloric deficit
    - require eating fish, unless you want to

What I will say is that...
    When you set yourself up for a certain caloric goal, and you are busting your *kitten* to get there, you get hungry. Very hungry. So you start getting smarter about what foods you consume to make up for those calories.

For example...I used to eat a PILE of bread and jam at night. And then I realized that it wasn't filling me as much as having a chicken breast with some bbq sauce, or some cottage cheese. So I started switching them out. Did I cut ALL carbs from my diet? NO! But I moderated them with some lower calorie, protein dense foods.

I STILL EAT DIRTY

I LOVE MY FRUIT SMOOTHIES

I EAT JUNK FOOD FROM TIME TO TIME

But I also bust my *kitten* when I manage to work out, and I keep a caloric deficit.

just sayin.
    16124725_4847.jpg

ETA... I do NOT lift (yet). I box and I run.

ETA again... I so do not get enough sleep either.. I'm lucky if I sneak in an average of 5 hours / night :yawn:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a world of difference between rules and guidelines!
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." - Douglas Bader

These clearly aren't rules.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    To those that don't agree with the list, I'd really like to know why. Not starting a fight, just would be interesting to know as I am always up for learning new things.....

#2) Fish vs steak makes no difference in weight loss/acquiring abs. Calorie and protein content does.

#3) Total nonsense. You can get abs just fine with Twinkies, Wonder Bread, and, yes, Pop-Tarts.

#4) Total nonsense. Yes, sauces and condiments have calories, but that means you need to eat them in moderation and account for them. Eliminating them entirely is not at all necessray.

#5) Same as #4.

#6) I'm sensing a pattern of food alarmism. He's creating a list of foods to never consume if you want abs, and it's dumb. You can get abs while having the occasional alcoholic drink just fine. Again, you just have to account for the calories.

The others are fine. Those are "slow and steady," "lift heavy," "don't focus on ab exercises," and "get enough sleep." That's reasonable advice.

This guy.
    Damn I didn't see this one here. This one is a lot shorter then my version :p

I'm into the whole brevity thing.

It's the soul of wit, I hear.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When you copy pasta something from a site, it is good form to say where you got it from and/or link to that site:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/abdominal-axioms-9-rules-for-better-abs.html

And I disagree with some of the points.

can you elaborate
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    When you copy pasta something from a site, it is good form to say where you got it from and/or link to that site:

can you elaborate

Read the second and third posts on this page.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I have abs.

While I agree that if you follow these tips, you have a great chance at attaining that 6 pack, I do not believe that it is really necessary.

What I have found...

IT DOES:
    - take a caloric deficit
    - take time and patience
    - take some core work to strengthen the muscles so that they pop after the fat starts disappearing
    - take some sweat generating, *kitten* busting, cardio and strength training activities. (or at least, it did for me)

IT DOES NOT:
    - require obliterating everything carb from your diet -as long as you're meeting your caloric deficit
    - require obliterating all drinks that contain calories from your diet - as long as you are meeting your caloric deficit

When you set yourself up for a certain caloric goal, and you are busting your *kitten* to get there, you get hungry. Very hungry. So you start getting smarter about what foods you consume to make up for those calories.

For example...I used to eat a PILE of bread and jam at night. And then I realized that it wasn't filling me as much as having a chicken breast with some bbq sauce, or some cottage cheese. So I started switching them out. Did I cut ALL carbs from my diet? NO! But I moderated them with some lower calorie, protein dense foods.

I STILL EAT DIRTY

But I also bust my *kitten* when I manage to work out, and I keep a caloric deficit.

just sayin.
    16124725_4847.jpg

ETA again... I so do not get enough sleep either.. I'm lucky if I sneak in an average of 5 hours / night :yawn:

BOOM! ...goes the dynamite.

:flowerforyou:

i think lists of rules like the OP posted are written for people who can't or won't be bothered to understand how or why those rules may work. they just want somebody to tell them, "put this here, do that, go there, eat this, etc." and miraculously achieve the results they want. unfortunately, most people have busy lives and short attention spans and only a small percentage of the population can follow lists of rules to the letter, day in and day out. rather than a list of rules, i prefer actual information about how and why things work, so that people can understand what's really going on and adapt as life intervenes... the simpler lifestyle changes are, the simpler they are to follow (K.I.S.S.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I like my condiments. But I can't imagine anyone eating HUNDREDS of calories in condiments a day. Ketchup and buffalo sauce is about 15 calories per tablespoon. Soy Sauce around 10 per tablespoon. Even Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (yum!) is 70 calories per tablespoon, ditto for my favorite bacon ranch salad dressing. Even as condiment-crazed as I am, I don't use any more than two tablespoons per meal.

Are people sucking on the bottles like nursing babies?

Plain baked or grilled chicken is fine. Topped with a little Sweet Baby Ray's, it's heavenly.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    While I appreciate the sentiment, I disagree with a lot of that list.

Thanks but no thanks.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have abs.

16124725_4847.jpg

/thread
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    All people with abs have one thing in common................low body fat. How does one attain that? Calorie deficit if one has higher body fat than desired.

Many teenage boys have abs. I'm more than sure that they didn't get them from adhering to the list mentioned. Why do they have abs? Because they have low body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My 5 year old has abs and he doesn't drink booze so there :wink:

Is he single?
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have abs.

What I have found...

IT DOES:
    - take a caloric deficit
    - take time and patience

IT DOES NOT:

I STILL EAT DIRTY

just sayin.
    16124725_4847.jpg

So much win right here
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your messages,

this was from bodybuilding.com (although didnt think to put the link). as i thought you would not have wanted to go from 1 site to the other just to read it so thought i'd copy and paste it instead.

this is only for people that want to gain abs as if you do not do any of these you will never see your abs ever as these mainly are the main points to achieving losing belly fat (with exercise) to see the abs pop through, also you should aim to get your body fat percentage to (for women) around 15% and (for men) around 10%.

Thanks.....

please remeber this is only a few tips there is a lot more ways to get abs but these would be similar to most things out there.

15% for women? Nope.

And there are a few of those points that you do not have to do and you can still get abs.

15% for women - YES (if you read it says aim for!!)

WOMEN:
    Competition Shape ("ripped"): 8-12%
    Very Lean (excellent): < 15%
    Lean (good): 16-20%
    Satisfactory (fair): 21-25%
    Improvement needed (poor): 26-30%
    Major improvement needed (Very poor): 31-40%+

MEN:
    Competition Shape ("ripped"): 3-6%
    Very Lean (excellent): < 9%
    Lean (good): 10-14%
    Satisfactory (fair): 15-19%
    Improvement needed (poor): 20-25%
    Major improvement needed (Very poor): 26-30%+

What has that got to do with abs?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    While I appreciate the sentiment, I disagree with a lot of that list.

Thanks but no thanks.

If you disagree with most of that list then that may be part of the reason you still need to lose weight. try it and you will be amazed just how fast the weight comes of you.

I disagree with some of the list as well.

From your ticker, looks like you need to lose weigh also.

the reason i am on here is to eat healthy and keep track of what i eat as i have found its the best to do that, as you are and the rest of the people who are on here mainly to loose a bit weight and i am trying to add muscle which i have done over the past 2 months i have been back on here FYI its only a post to help people make a few right choices if its not for you then fine it might be for the next person if you havnt got anything possitive to say and that goes for everyone then keep it to your selfs because negativity gets you no where in life.

Maybe you should avoid veiled insults to others who do not agree with some copy pasta post you make then. You were the one that brought up that someone else has some weight to lose originally.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I heard proper spelling and punctuation helps you get abs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I heard proper spelling and punctuation helps you get abs.

That would explain a LOT...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

can you elaborate

It's already been covered pretty well.