10 things I've learned in 10 days at MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    That's the frustrating thing for me. I can motivate myself to exercise if I think of it as earning a snack, but not if it doesn't affect how much I can eat, but then my Mom scolded me and said "If you eat back your exercise calories then what's the point?" and I get discouraged from bothering to exercise.

How about eating back half of them? That's what a lot of people do on here.

Also, exercise has a great effect on your mindset. It can become as addictive as food!! Lots of feel-good chemicals get released and after a while, you actually enjoy it :bigsmile:

I think exercise is good for you physically, mentally AND calorifically. You have to see the broad picture and think ahead at how much good its doing you now and in the future.

:flowerforyou:
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've learned that sometimes you don't screw up as bad as you think you have :smile:.

I went to our state fair and thought I really blew the day. I wrote it all down...and only ended up going over my calories by 200 for the day!! Normally, I would have felt guilty forever, but it gave me the freedom to enjoy myself without guilt.

On a side note: a friend of mine has lost like 250 lbs and he has written down EVERY bite that has gone in his mouth. He can tell you what he ate a year ago on this day. Pretty amazing.

~~anne
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'd add that I've learned over the year I've been here that many people don't understand how MFP really works. The big things are:

1) Adding exercise goals in the goals screen does NOT impact your calorie goals - it's just something to shoot for and shows up on your exercise log to compare with your actual exercise. Exercise only impacts your calorie goal when you actually log it for real.

2) As is suggested by #1, MFP calculates your deficit BEFORE exercise, therefore *most* people should be eating back exercise calories to maintain a safe deficit. (Which is considered no more than 1000 cal deficit per day.)

3)There are always exceptions!

4) If you're at 1200 calories/day by MFP, there's a chance your deficit is NOT what it needs to be to lose your target weight (especially if your target is 2 lbs/week). This is because MFP won't automatically give you a calorie goal less than 1200/day. You may be one of the exceptions in #3 above... This is why it's important for people who are given 1200 cals/day by MFP to know what their estimated deficit is before exercise - you may NEED to burn exercise calories without eating them back to reach your (healthy) deficit goals.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Great post! Thanks!!
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    Excellent post Anna! I've learn a lot by just reading it. The support system is One of the things I value the most and I am so elevated by everyone's success. In fact I took everyone's advise yesterday and I am implementing it today. I feel like I am going to succeed!
  • xquiz8
    xquiz8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I've learned that a supportive group can make all the difference. :flowerforyou:

I've learned that if I bite it, I write it. I need to see the list of foods I've chosen to eat in order for it to register in my brain and make.

I've also learned that I have no excuse for making bad food choices - that's on me - and that a little planning ahead can mean the difference between a satisfying and nutritious lunch/dinner and a mad dash for fast food.

It's inspiring and motivating to see how many people here are working hard and are succeeding because they are determined. I want to be one of those people.

I've learned about the hundred push-up challenge, and that I want to make the effort to become physically fit, because I like being able to say "I can do x amount of push-ups".
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    great post!! I so know how it feels to be restricted to only 1200 calories, since im only 4'll haha :) Thanks for the post!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I look forward to learning some more lessons as we move along.

Together, we can do this!! :bigsmile: :wink: :love:
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    AWESOME post! :bigsmile: Thanks so much!!:flowerforyou:
  • andrewsa
    andrewsa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Looks good!

Things I've learned:

-You bite it, you write it!
    -If I fail to plan, I plan to fail -I basically plan my day of food, leaving room for a few snack decisions here and there. I also keep a business card sized paper in my wallet with "treats" and their calorie count (ie: ice coffee, lattes, cookies etc.) Then if I'm out with friends, I can have something I like but still stick within my goals for the day!
    -Exercise is important! (If I know i'm having a big meal, I make sure I get exercise in that day to help compensate for the extra cals, or drinks!!)
  • sslaughter1
    Options
    I love feeling less bloated. I also realized when you fall of the wagon and cheat it makes you crave more junk so its becoming easier to leave it alone which is a first for me in 2 years!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight! MFP has been a total learning curve for me too. Uuh other stuff I've learned:

+ Don't freak out over gaining a pound back! It happens for various reasons.

+ Fast food is the devil!

+ I don't really need that giant steak or huge chicken breast. 4 oz will do!

+ Calorie counting is an excuse to be a really creative cook :happy:
  • DJackson230
    Options
    I like your 6, 8 and 10... So right MFP is more about support than advice, more that 1 way to skin a person...
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    I like your 6, 8 and 10... So right MFP is more about support than advice, more that 1 way to skin a person...

Don't you mean "more than one way to skinny a person"? lol